Craziest thing you built?

a few days ago i needed to get something from the loft, whilst i was up there i noticed one of my forgotten projects, its a six foot long amraam missile lol and it made me wonder if im just a complete nut or have you guys built some crazy stuff?

So whats the biggest / weirdest thing youve recreated ?

ill show some pics later today

James

Many years ago I built and maintained a Tesla coil for a theater group

btc40.jpg

Kinda like this but no Plexiglas

Was a blast to build.

got calls all the time about adjusting the spark gap as well as tuning the coils

William G

I only build 'what ifs' so a lot of them could be described as crazy, but perhaps the weirdest was the Rayador, an Ekranoplan made from an Airfix Boeing 727-200:

03.jpg

Full Silly Week article is here. It actually started an internet fight, but the details are outside the scope of this discussion. :cop:

Probably the superdetailed Zero Eggplane recently seen on a certain website (I won't name names, but the initials are A.R.C.)

I did this one a few years back just to annoy a fellow model club member who passionately loves blue-nose Mustangs and equally passionately hates Bf-109s. It's also probably my fastest build (since becoming a "serious" modeler anyway.) I started it on Monday evening, and finished it up in time for the club meeting the next night.

04-21-06001a.jpg

My most off-the-wall "serious" build would be the Glencoe T.Rex skeleton. The kit dates from the '50s, and is based on a mount from around 1900 or so, which was posed as a "tail dragger." The tail was also too long, because it was the first T.Rex recovered, and much of the tail was missing, forcing scientists to guess at the length. I reposed the model to reflect more modern anatomical ideas, and took several vertabrae out of the tail. Unfortunately I'm at work, and don't have a pic in my PhotoBucket account.

SN

I built a 1:1 scale crocodile skull based on the largest saltwater crocodile...from scratch. Took me a year to build and finished it when I was about 12 years old! :) Unfortunately, even after tons of research, I found out that it was a few inches too large (well, at least I got the proportions right, but not the scale). Hopefully someone might capture an even larger crocodile with a head as big as the one I made, so that my skull will be accurate! :P

Jason

Some other weird things I built/ am building:

A 1/48 T.Rex; miniature skulls of a crocodile, great white shark and tiger; and the one I am currently working on: a life-sized ARC Reactor (complete with LED lights!) :)

Jason