Monogram 1:48 Su-25 Frogfoot + TwoMikes resin

Now that the HobbyBoss A-10 is finished, I am starting the Monogram 1:48 Su-25 Frogfoot. This build is for TwoMikes to display at their booth at the IPMS National Convention in Pheonix, AZ. I am building it OOB to show their resin intake/exhaust covers and their resin rocket pods.

Here's the start:

100_2081.jpg

100_2082.jpg

100_2083.jpg

100_2084.jpg

100_2085.jpg

More later...

Got started on the build. Took some time to glue the major sub-assemblies (i.e., weapons, gas bags, wing halves, etc) together and sand some joins lines.

Then I commenced working on the cockpit. I have never built a Russian plan before and know they use a shade of light blue for the cockpit. Without any special call outs in the Monogram instructions, I went with Tamiya Light Blue (XF-23) for tw reasons: 1) it's what I had on hand and , 2) it looked close enough to my eye as the correct color.

100_2124.jpg

100_2129.jpg

I sprayed a coat of flat black and then applied the Light blue over that. I then picked out the detail on the IP and cockpit sidewalls. That was followed by a wash of heavily thinnned Tamiya Smoke. Then a drop of Future on the IP dials and the cockpit was ready to install.

100_2130.jpg

100_2134.jpg

100_2131.jpg

I applied the same Light blue over black treatment of the wheel wells (although once built, not much of the detail will be seen), I picked out the hydraulic lines in black.

100_2141.jpg

Stay tuned . . . .

More progress to report:

Wings attached. I was quite pleased with the top and bottom joins of both wings. I used no filler and will only have to do some minor sanding to blend the seam line into the fuselage top and bottom.

100_2142.jpg

Next I focused on the wheel bays and landing gear. Normally the landing geat is one of the last things I attach, but due to the assembly sequence and parts layout, it looks as if it would be nearly impossible to install the MLG with the accompanying struts/braces once the bottom fuselage has been attached. So I painted up the wheel wells and landing gear and attached them as instructed.

100_2145.jpg

100_2144.jpg

Here is the bottom fuselage piece laid in position to make sure there is no interference from the landing gear assembly -- we have clearance!

100_2147.jpg

100_2146.jpg

Up to this point progress has been very speedy due to the relatively few number of parts and the good fit. However, I know the bottom panel is going to be a challenge to fit and I'm sure attaching the intake and exhausts are going to present some gaps that will need filler treatment.

Stay tuned . . .

Worked this morning on getting the bottom fuselage in place. There were a few gaps that required some attention:

100_2158.jpg

100_2159.jpg

and the "Grand Canyon" of them all:

100_2161.jpg

A little CA/talcum powder and some sanding made all the "nasties" go away...

100_2163.jpg

100_2168.jpg

100_2170.jpg

100_2171.jpg

more, later . . .

Intakes and exhaust attached with just one gap needing filled and sanded. This kit fit together surprisingly better than I was anticipating.

Brushed some Tamiya dark gray to check the filling/sanding work.

100_2180.jpg

100_2181.jpg

100_2183.jpg

Site of the former "Grand Canyon"

100_2189.jpg

A few minor touch-ups and then get the canopy attached and on to the paint barn!!!

100_2187.jpg

100_2194.jpg

100_2179.jpg

Calling it a day . . .

Edited by warthoglvr

Not a lot of bench time since Memorial Day. tonight I masked the canopies, attached the HUD, various air scoops and attenae, and wing fences. Tomorrow if all goes well, I'll get some primer on it and then try to decide which paint scheme/decals to use on this bird.

Looking forward to painting this one to give it some character. That weird tan styrene is starting to get on my nerves! :)

Hey!! How'd I miss this one!! Can't wait to see it finished.

Oh, and we have something else coming soon for the Monogram Frogfoot.....How do gear wells sound? I will post a pic of the nose well later :doh:

Hey!! How'd I miss this one!! Can't wait to see it finished.

Oh, and we have something else coming soon for the Monogram Frogfoot.....How do gear wells sound? I will post a pic of the nose well later :lol:

Yeah, the gear wells could stand some improvement on this kit. interested to see what you have coming down the pike . . . .

I lost my tan!!! And I was glad I did. The Frogfoot was primed using Tamiya Light Gray Primer in the rattle can.

100_2201.jpg

100_2200.jpg

100_2199.jpg

100_2197.jpg

100_2196.jpg

I also got to work on the TwoMikes resin Russian rocket pods (say that three times real fast!). They come beautifully cast in three sections. Just cut the stub off the middle section and the top and bottom parts slide right in. I got 'em all ready from primer tomorrow.

100_2211.jpg

100_2205.jpg

100_2209.jpg

100_2212.jpg

I'll also be applying preshading to the Su-25. That's the next progress pics I'll post . . .

Thanks for watching!

Preshading done:

100_2232.jpg

100_2231.jpg

100_2230.jpg

100_2229.jpg

Sprayed the rocket pods Tamiya Semi-gloss black in preparation for Alcad later:

100_2233.jpg

Now I'll be working on the remaining fiddly bits while I await the arrival of some decals to determine the paint scheme and then I can get to work finishing her off.