Just an observation with masking

I HATE MASKING 1/72 CANOPIES! Makes my brain hurt, my fingers numb and for some strange reason I want to call everyone Susan by the time I am done.

Fuse and wing masking. Not so bad. Canopy masking however...

Edited by 611_sqd
I HATE MASKING 1/72 CANOPIES! Makes my brain hurt, my fingers numb and for some strange reason I want to call everyone Susan by the time I am done.

I am sorry but you just made ME laugh and giggle as I read this...thankx for a good giggle...

:rolleyes: :blink: :rofl::beer4:

Just two words - "Eduard" and "Montex". Not sure if they do masks for the particular aircraft you want, but if they do they're a real boon. Having recently masked the canopy on an OS2U-3 using nothing but Tamiya tape, I feel your pain!

Just two words - "Eduard" and "Montex". Not sure if they do masks for the particular aircraft you want, but if they do they're a real boon. Having recently masked the canopy on an OS2U-3 using nothing but Tamiya tape, I feel your pain!

A word of caution: be carefull to not become addicted to Eduard's Kabuki masks!

I know the hard way, I am... :thumbsup:

• 1 month later...

Still is there someone, who uses bukkake masks of eduard? Tried a few, finally I decided to mask with maskol and tamiya tape.

A few statistics concerning their 1/72 masks:

P-40* - only the parts on armored glass, upper windscreen, otherwise ended up with tape

Spitfire - armored glass, upper windscreen, tape again on remaining part of glass.

L-39 - Tape at all

FW-190 - Tape again

P-39 - Tape...

P-51, F-100F (honestly said, it's been vinyl masks), F-111.... All taped.

Even worse experience I got on their PE parts:

P-40* sidewalls of definitely looked totally different apart of what's presented in Ed's.

F-4* side panels of Luftwaffes Phantom is not flat, and therefore instument panel's bottom also has not flat bottom - apart from what's in Ed's.

Spit IX/VIII for hasegawa - what a surprising sidewall details, hidden in the envelope... Throttle quadrant from ONE SINGLE piece of sheet.

What I found terrible were their pre-painted etch:

- No two bags do have the approx common shade.

- some parts of dials represented by paint only - putting a decal would make the same effect.

- Sometimes I got parts without correctly laid paint. Terrible.

- grid/raster printed on belts.

- If there was no grid, there's some strange grain formed in paint.

Well, masking using tamiya tape is not such pain, as someone would expect.

Still is there someone, who uses bukkake masks of eduard? Tried a few, finally I decided to mask with maskol and tamiya tape.

Just in case you happen to ask for it at the LHS... it's 'kabuke' mask.

*reaches for the brain bleach*

Just in case you happen to ask for it at the LHS... it's 'kabuke' mask.

*reaches for the brain bleach*

I typed in bukkake masks into google and got some Not Work Safe photos to come up.

Edited by Superjew