Mini-Review: BUFFMaster Products HSABs

Hello all,

I used to work on the B-52H at Barksdale, so the BUFF has always held a special place in my heart. I recently purchased Italeri's 72nd scale H model, and set about looking for ways to make it more accurate and "correct" to represent todays active fleet. My first major sticking point was the pylons included in the Italeri kit. While these do accurately represent modern ALCM/ACM pylons (even down to the correct number of access panels), if you're wanting to make a 52 armed with conventional munitions, you're kinda out of luck with them.

After a LOT of searching and finding no online reviews, I decided to toss $25 to the wind and order a set of "Modern HSABs - B-52H(Italeri)" from the Great Models Web store. Shipping was prompt via FEDEX, arriving 4 days after I ordered. Inside the small box was a standard bagged/card setup, including 24 gray resin pieces and one very simple black and white instruction sheet.

Note: I have pics of this set up at: http://www.flickr.com/photos/45658514@N02/?saved=1

I have to say...for a small organization, the folks at BUFF Master have made one hell of a product. The detail seen in this set rivals the big boys like Eduard and Aires. All the access panels are there, correct in size, shape, and even the number of fasteners (on the panels I remember from working on). Having the individual MAU-12C/D bomb racks individually cast was a nice touch, though I can tell ya separating them all won't be fun. The Wing/Pylon adapters are also very nicely done. Next month I plan on ordering the "Lumps & Bumps" for an accurate H model from these guys, and I am convinced that if their quality stays the same, I will be a VERY satisfied customer. Now to find a whoooole bunch of 72nd JDAMs...or JSOWs...Harpoons...HAVE-NAPs...WCCM-Ds....

Edited by B52HVet

Hi, thanks for the review and preview pics. I would like to ask you, if the HSAB pylon can be also used for the B-52G version. The B-52H should have the same config as non-ALCM B-52G - true ? Thanks for the help. Jakub

Hi, thanks for the review and preview pics. I would like to ask you, if the HSAB pylon can be also used for the B-52G version. The B-52H should have the same config as non-ALCM B-52G - true ? Thanks for the help. Jakub

Jakub,

Correct, this resin set should work for conventionally armed B-52G or H models. Both of the Italeri kits have the same wing/mounting setup, so either kit should work out just fine.

The switch to HSABs occurred in the mid 90s, from the old style pylons (included in the old Monogram B-52D kit). They were necessary to make the transition to smart weapons, and now HSABs and ALCM pylons are the only type currently in use.

Edited by B52HVet
Jakub,

Correct, this resin set should work for conventionally armed B-52G or H models. Both of the Italeri kits have the same wing/mounting setup, so either kit should work out just fine.

Thanks for the info. But, the kits are not same :worship: H has non-ALCM wing and the Italeri issued G has only the ALCM wing. So to get the conventional G you need to criss-cross the H and G kits :coolio:

Regards

Jakub

Thanks for the info. But, the kits are not same :worship: H has non-ALCM wing and the Italeri issued G has only the ALCM wing. So to get the conventional G you need to criss-cross the H and G kits :coolio:

Regards

Jakub

Really? They cast an entirely different lower wing for the G kit? The HSAB kit I reviewed includes the correct WPA (Wing/Pylon Adapter) so...it should work...but it has been quite a while since I have seen the G model kit in person. There really shouldn't be considerable difference between the wings.

Really? They cast an entirely different lower wing for the G kit? The HSAB kit I reviewed includes the correct WPA (Wing/Pylon Adapter) so...it should work...but it has been quite a while since I have seen the G model kit in person. There really shouldn't be considerable difference between the wings.

Hi,

no, they just used the plug in the forward fuselage sides and used ALCM and non-ALCM wings for G and for H (maybe AMT did non-ALCM G, but Italeri didnt reissue this version).

During my work on my Buff, I did this small page to help modellers with Gulf war G Buffs, as there are 3 possible configs you can do.

Check my page HERE and if you have some tweaks or other info, please, share it.

Thanks in advance.

Jakub

Hello all,

I used to work on the B-52H at Barksdale, so the BUFF has always held a special place in my heart. I recently purchased Italeri's 72nd scale H model, and set about looking for ways to make it more accurate and "correct" to represent todays active fleet. My first major sticking point was the pylons included in the Italeri kit. While these do accurately represent modern ALCM/ACM pylons (even down to the correct number of access panels), if you're wanting to make a 52 armed with conventional munitions, you're kinda out of luck with them.

After a LOT of searching and finding no online reviews, I decided to toss $25 to the wind and order a set of "Modern HSABs - B-52H(Italeri)" from the Great Models Web store. Shipping was prompt via FEDEX, arriving 4 days after I ordered. Inside the small box was a standard bagged/card setup, including 24 gray resin pieces and one very simple black and white instruction sheet.

Note: I have pics of this set up at: http://www.flickr.com/photos/45658514@N02/?saved=1

I have to say...for a small organization, the folks at BUFF Master have made one hell of a product. The detail seen in this set rivals the big boys like Eduard and Aires. All the access panels are there, correct in size, shape, and even the number of fasteners (on the panels I remember from working on). Having the individual MAU-12C/D bomb racks individually cast was a nice touch, though I can tell ya separating them all won't be fun. The Wing/Pylon adapters are also very nicely done. Next month I plan on ordering the "Lumps & Bumps" for an accurate H model from these guys, and I am convinced that if their quality stays the same, I will be a VERY satisfied customer. Now to find a whoooole bunch of 72nd JDAMs...or JSOWs...Harpoons...HAVE-NAPs...WCCM-Ds....

Thanks For the Review B52HVet! :worship:

Just a note I was able to obtain the TF-33 Measurements, that B-52H Engines are Right on the money.

Cheers' :coolio:

Happy Modeling

Thanks For the Review B52HVet! :whistle:

Just a note I was able to obtain the TF-33 Measurements, that B-52H Engines are Right on the money.

Cheers' :cheers:

Happy Modeling

Thanks for putting out a great product, I'd be happy to include some more on this build and write a more in-depth review if you'd like to provide some "samples" :whistle: I appreciate the info on the TF-33 measurements. Any thoughts on maybe doing a bomb bay/CSRL/MHU-196-204 trailer?

Thanks for putting out a great product, I'd be happy to include some more on this build and write a more in-depth review if you'd like to provide some "samples" :) I appreciate the info on the TF-33 measurements. Any thoughts on maybe doing a bomb bay/CSRL/MHU-196-204 trailer?

The measurement of the Engines intake Mouth is 4ft, in 1/72 Scale it is .666". This is all the info I am willing to Release.

If you Visit My Website you will see all of the items planned for the B-52's in the near future. By BUFF Master Design Click Here. There are 3 pages of Products.

Happy Modeling

Hi,

no, they just used the plug in the forward fuselage sides and used ALCM and non-ALCM wings for G and for H (maybe AMT did non-ALCM G, but Italeri didnt reissue this version).

During my work on my Buff, I did this small page to help modellers with Gulf war G Buffs, as there are 3 possible configs you can do.

Check my page HERE and if you have some tweaks or other info, please, share it.

Thanks in advance.

Jakub

My understanding is the HSABs are appropriate for all H models and non-ALCM capable Gs. As the AMT/Italeri Late G kits represent ALCM-modified aircraft, I don't believe you'd see HSABs on those. From the pictures and info on Jakub's site, the ALCM jets would use the AGM-28/MER setup for conventional munitions. The wings are the same in both kits, so the HSABs would fit, but as Jakub pointed out, the wing root is the difference, with the fairing on the G kit marking it as an ALCM carrier.

I've got a couple of sets of the BMD HSABs, and I agree they are nice. BIG improvement over the castings released under the Golden Dragon label. If you run across an HSAB set by Golden Dragon, be aware they are not the same as what is currently available from BMD.

Look forward to seeing your build! What jet/squadron are you thinking? I've thought a MHU-196 would be a great way to display the missile pylon or a scratchbuilt CSRL. Daunting task though, to do it up right.

Jonah

Edited by Gator52
My understanding is the HSABs are appropriate for all H models and non-ALCM capable Gs. As the AMT/Italeri Late G kits represent ALCM-modified aircraft, I don't believe you'd see HSABs on those. From the pictures and info on Jakub's site, the ALCM jets would use the AGM-28/MER setup for conventional munitions. The wings are the same in both kits, so the HSABs would fit, but as Jakub pointed out, the wing root is the difference, with the fairing on the G kit marking it as an ALCM carrier.

I've got a couple of sets of the BMD HSABs, and I agree they are nice. BIG improvement over the castings released under the Golden Dragon label. If you run across an HSAB set by Golden Dragon, be aware they are not the same as what is currently available from BMD.

Look forward to seeing your build! What jet/squadron are you thinking? I've thought a MHU-196 would be a great way to display the missile pylon or a scratchbuilt CSRL. Daunting task though, to do it up right.

Jonah

Jonah,

Well, I was hoping to build "Balls 11" from my days in the 11th Bomb Squadron at Barksdale, or 1016 (the jet that broke my back and retired me from active duty)...but unfortunately, I missed the only opportunity I've seen in several years to get a set of the FoxOne "Combat in the BUFF" decals for it. I'm not going to give up and do this one as another jet, but good lord finding just ONE set of markings (60-011) let alone an entire sheet (which I'd love to have, just for nostalgia and any future BUFFs) has been impossible.

I agree entirely about how big of a task a CSRL and trailer would be. I honestly don't know that I've got the skills to pull something like that off, but it's been sitting in the back of my mind for quite a while now...thought about maybe doing up a diorama of a load barn jet, just to bring back a few memories :cheers:

Edited by B52HVet
If you Visit My Website you will see all of the items planned for the B-52's in the near future. By BUFF Master Design Click Here. There are 3 pages of Products.

Happy Modeling

Looks like some nice stuff in yout BUFF Master Design line. I don't suppose you are planning any 1/144 B-52 stuff are you? I'd just about kill for a "D" or "F" conversion in 1/144 scale.

So what do you say?! :thumbsup:

-Derek

Looks like some nice stuff in yout BUFF Master Design line. I don't suppose you are planning any 1/144 B-52 stuff are you? I'd just about kill for a "D" or "F" conversion in 1/144 scale.

So what do you say?! :thumbsup:

-Derek

Ditto. 1/144 B-52 stuff would be awesome.

Very nice 96th jet. Was that straight out of the box (minus decals and ordnance)?

Thanks! Mostly OOB. I substituted the better-detailed main landing gear from the Monogram D; some antennas from the Golden Dragon/Buff Master update set as well as a few scratchbuilt antennas, and kitbashed/scratchbuilt the HSABs.

If I can find some, I should hang some GBU-38 as well.

I think both DoctorPepper Resins and Modern Hobbies have done GBU-38s in 1/72, though I haven't seen either set.

Jonah

To add to the wish list for things for the BUFF, how about somebody do the LITENING Pod and mount for it??

I know that GOFFY Models said a loooooooooooonnnnnnnnnnggggggg time ago they were going to do a wheel well set and bomb bay but that unfortunately hasn't happened yet. Weapons are great, but like it has been said we need more current pylon sets!!

The BUFF and the BONE are both big items in 1/72 and no one seems to be interested in bringing the exisiting kits up to date.

Please Help us lowly big bird builders in 1/72 scale :woo::cheers: :D

Thanks,

Tricose

I think both DoctorPepper Resins and Modern Hobbies have done GBU-38s in 1/72, though I haven't seen either set.

Jonah

Thank you

I've seen there are GBU-38 on Dr Pepper Resins.

But Modern Hobbies has given up selling at least for a while.

Now, is it real to put GBU-31 and GBU-38 under the wings?

Patrick

So what do you say?! :rofl:

-Derek

Ditto. 1/144 B-52 stuff would be awesome.

There are plans for new 1/144 Scale B-52 items, Release times as of right now. TBA!

Happy Modeling

There are plans for new 1/144 Scale B-52 items, Release times as of right now. TBA!

Happy Modeling

AWESOME!!!!!!! :thumbsup:

Can you give us any hints as to what items are in the works and when we might see some of them? Just a ball-park date would be wonderful.

I was tempted to start hacking up my 1/144 Revell "G" kit this weekend but with this announcment I will wait!

Thank you again for this, I can't wait! :thumbsup:

-Derek