U.S. Fighter/Attack aircraft never (or only once) exported

After looking at the "Vietnam War - US Aircraft" thread, it got me thinking. How many different models of attack/fighter aircraft (post-60's say) that were manufactured in the U.S. were NEVER (or only once) offered (or actually sold) for export sale? (Possibly related to nuclear capability in some?) I can think of a couple - feel free to correct any errors or add aircraft.

NEVER

Lockheed F-117 Nighthawk

North American A-5 Vigilante

Grumman A-6 Intruder

Republic A-10 Thunderbolt II

Republic F-105 Thunderchief

ONCE

F-111 (Australia for their nuke program)

- Dan

F-100, Turkey, France, Finland & Taiwan

F-101, Canada, (Taiwan had the RF version)

F-102, never

F-105, never

F-106, never

B-45, never

B-47, never

B-52, never

B-58, never

B-1, never

B-2, never

Actually, I think Turkey used the 102,

As did Greece.

and the B-45 flew in RAF markings.

A number of RB-45C were indeed temporarily painted in Royal Air Force markings and crewed by British personel of No. 35 and No. 115 Squadron for a number of secret overflights of the Soviet Union out of RAF Sculthorpe.

HTH,

Andre

After looking at the "Vietnam War - US Aircraft" thread, it got me thinking. How many different models of attack/fighter aircraft (post-60's say) that were manufactured in the U.S. were NEVER (or only once) offered (or actually sold) for export sale? (Possibly related to nuclear capability in some?) I can think of a couple - feel free to correct any errors or add aircraft.

NEVER

Lockheed F-117 Nighthawk

North American A-5 Vigilante

Grumman A-6 Intruder

Republic A-10 Thunderbolt II

Republic F-105 Thunderchief

ONCE

F-111 (Australia for their nuke program)

- Dan

I believe the F-111 was offered to the UKs Labour governmant in the early 60s - hence the cancellation of the TSR2 program.

The deal never materialised.

Gaz

B-47, never

Never say "never" :tumble:

60.jpg

I suppose it doesn't really count. since it wasn't used in operational military service, but it's still in "foreign" markings.

SN

The RAF's F-111K was not proposed. It was bought and paid for, and the first several aircraft were nearly complete before the UK backed out of the deal.

J

A couple 'pre-Vietnam':

Vought F7U

Vought F-11 Tiger

F-89 Scorpion

F-94 Starfire

Sure, they're not fighter but some more to add to the list:

A-3 Skywarrior

B-66 Destroyer

EB-66 Electronic Destroyer

EA-6B Prowler

B-2 Spirit

B-1 Bone

S-3 Viking

Edited by jbrundt
F-100, Turkey, France, Finland & Taiwan

<...>

F-100: wasn't Finland, but Denmark. ;)

Who the heck ordered that decision? :cheers:

Ah, but that was when they where still in the good lads club. :worship:

I remember reading somewhere that back in the 60's the F-105 was on the list for our air force along with some other things like the Mirage III. Eventually we bought the F-104.

:rolleyes: I Remember That The A-10 Was Offered But No Avail. Everybody Wanted Fighters At The Time.

The A-10 was certainly offered to Turkey in the early 1990s. In fact, the negotiations progressed to a point where the Turkish Air Force went to AMARC to choose the individual airframes. In their infinite wisdom, the Turkish team decided that the airframes offered had too much wear and their to be taken into service in a cost effective manner, and balked. They regretted their decision in mid 1990s, but by then the A-10 redeemed its value during the Gulf War and US was no longer interested in selling them.

If you look at the "Operators" section of the A-10 feature issue of the WAPJ (World Air Power Journal), you will notice that it lists the Turkish Air Force as an A-10 operator: the negotations were almost complete at the time of the printing, and everyone thought it was a done deal.

I remember reading somewhere that back in the 60's the F-105 was on the list for our air force along with some other things like the Mirage III. Eventually we bought the F-104.

Not enough room in the whole of the Netherlands to get a loaded F-105 airborne without clipping trees in western Germany!

Also as a whiffer if one is so inclined, Iran was to get the first export F-16s until the fall of the Shah, IIRC those were then moved over to Israel's order and got them quicker - just in time for Osirik

Didn't the French order and operate the F-105? I can't seem to remember.

RYAN.

Nope. They had the F-100 but apart from that preferred to build their own.

if i might butt in here; if i remember correctly, the raaf was offered a version of the a-5 vigilante, and around the same time, the luftwaffe (which might have resulted in other air forces following suit) was offered the latest version of the grumman f11f - they chose the the f-104 instead, especially with the license production agreements.