BAE Hawk 1/48th, which kit?

I want to buy a 1/48th scale kit of the Hawk and the question is: what is the difference between the Airfix and the Italeri kits that makes the latter worth paying double the price for? Is it indeed better?

Hi Derek,

As nobody has replied yet, I'll chip in and see if it helps you.

I haven't built either of them yet, so there will be others who would know better, but I tried researching both the kits a while ago, as I plan to build a RAAF 127.

I was going to pay up for the Italeri, but then I found this R&R models RAAF Hawk 127 conversion for the Airfix kit here. I can vouch for this being an awesome set, but the Aussie Hawks have the cockpit set up like an F/A-18 for training, so may not be what you're after.

If you want straight out of the box, and you don't mind the extra cost for the one kit, then go for the Italeri. It has photoetching for the cockpit, and from what others have said, it seems like it goes together a bit better.

Italeri sprue shots

Airfix sprues, and here

If you want a detailed Hawk, then you may as well go for the Airfix - there are more options in resin, and the shortfalls are pretty common between them,

eg. if you want a good detailed cockpit, both Italeri and Airfix seem to need replacing. I think both of the noses are a bit off as well.

To name a few of the AM sets:

Neomega is apparently the way to go for the cockpit here

CMK do resin/PE for the cockpit (both), undercarriage (Airfix) and control surfaces (both) here

Aeroclub do undercarriage (Airfix)

TwoMikes do a full intake (Airfix), and just the outer intake (both) here

That's about all I can remember.

Your best bet is britmodeller.com forum. Those guys are Hawk mad.

Jesse.

Hi Derek,

As nobody has replied yet, I'll chip in and see if it helps you.

I haven't built either of them yet, so there will be others who would know better, but I tried researching both the kits a while ago, as I plan to build a RAAF 127.

I was going to pay up for the Italeri, but then I found this R&R models RAAF Hawk 127 conversion for the Airfix kit here. I can vouch for this being an awesome set, but the Aussie Hawks have the cockpit set up like an F/A-18 for training, so may not be what you're after.

If you want straight out of the box, and you don't mind the extra cost for the one kit, then go for the Italeri. It has photoetching for the cockpit, and from what others have said, it seems like it goes together a bit better.

Italeri sprue shots

Airfix sprues, and here

If you want a detailed Hawk, then you may as well go for the Airfix - there are more options in resin, and the shortfalls are pretty common between them,

eg. if you want a good detailed cockpit, both Italeri and Airfix seem to need replacing. I think both of the noses are a bit off as well.

To name a few of the AM sets:

Neomega is apparently the way to go for the cockpit here

CMK do resin/PE for the cockpit (both), undercarriage (Airfix) and control surfaces (both) here

Aeroclub do undercarriage (Airfix)

TwoMikes do a full intake (Airfix), and just the outer intake (both) here

That's about all I can remember.

Your best bet is britmodeller.com forum. Those guys are Hawk mad.

Jesse.

Thanks Jesse. I'll try britmodeller and see what they have to say.

Derek

Both kits have their inaccuracies, most notably around the nose and the tail shape on the Italeri kit, but personally I'd prefer to buy the cheaper Airfix kit and add some aftermarket to it.

srry ive missed this

airfix - cheaper roughly acurate doesnt build that bad

italeri - expensive, highly detailed, builds like a dream (noe in 2 different boxings)

so it depends on what you want if your wanting a perfect one go for the italeri, but if you just want a t1 hawk the airfix is fine

now to add to the mix in november revell is due to release a 1/32 !!!

srry ive missed this

airfix - cheaper roughly acurate doesnt build that bad

italeri - expensive, highly detailed, builds like a dream (noe in 2 different boxings)

so it depends on what you want if your wanting a perfect one go for the italeri, but if you just want a t1 hawk the airfix is fine

now to add to the mix in november revell is due to release a 1/32 !!!

The Italeri one isn't perfect - it has some shape issues around the nose and tail that aren't present on the Airfix kit.

They both have shape issues. Just not the same issues with the same shapes. Both have screwed up noses, just in different ways. Same story with the aft fuselage. The fixes for both noses, while different are both about the same level of difficulty to fix. Italeri's is too pointed while the top of Airfix's nose doesn't have the graceful curve it should. A bit of strip styrene laminated on and blended with epoxy putty will fix either.

The aft fuselage is a different story though. I've managed to correct Italeri's aft-most fuselage area, but haven't figured out how to fix the airfix. The airfix kit's mid to aft fuselage area is a bit too "pudgy" in my opinion. So, while fixing the aft fuselage around/above the exhaust might be possible, it just doesn't flow into the rest of the airframe quite right. Italeri is a bit more "slender" in the midrif, which I think captures the sublte Hawk upper aft fuselage curves a bit better. The vertical fin on the airfix kit isn't located quite right as far as fore/aft placement. I am working on a resin replacement vertical stab for TwoMikes (hope it's OK to mention that Mike!) which should be usable on either kit. Problem is that the top of the aft fuselage needs fixing on either kit to get it to sit right. The top of the fuselage should be a perfectly straight line from the ECS exhaust all the way to the aft end of the airplane above the exhaust. Both kits have the upper aft fuselage round off at the tail kind of like the early Hawk tail configuration, but still not quite right for that either. More to follow on a fix for that...

Bottom line though, they both pretty much look like Hawks when built but I prefer the Italeri if price is not an issue. If it is and you want a quick build Airfix is the way to go.

I sure hope Revell gets the shape right on their 1/32 Hawk!

HTH,

Gabe

They both have shape issues. Just not the same issues with the same shapes. Both have screwed up noses, just in different ways. Same story with the aft fuselage. The fixes for both noses, while different are both about the same level of difficulty to fix. Italeri's is too pointed while the top of Airfix's nose doesn't have the graceful curve it should. A bit of strip styrene laminated on and blended with epoxy putty will fix either.

The aft fuselage is a different story though. I've managed to correct Italeri's aft-most fuselage area, but haven't figured out how to fix the airfix. The airfix kit's mid to aft fuselage area is a bit too "pudgy" in my opinion. So, while fixing the aft fuselage around/above the exhaust might be possible, it just doesn't flow into the rest of the airframe quite right. Italeri is a bit more "slender" in the midrif, which I think captures the sublte Hawk upper aft fuselage curves a bit better. The vertical fin on the airfix kit isn't located quite right as far as fore/aft placement. I am working on a resin replacement vertical stab for TwoMikes (hope it's OK to mention that Mike!) which should be usable on either kit. Problem is that the top of the aft fuselage needs fixing on either kit to get it to sit right. The top of the fuselage should be a perfectly straight line from the ECS exhaust all the way to the aft end of the airplane above the exhaust. Both kits have the upper aft fuselage round off at the tail kind of like the early Hawk tail configuration, but still not quite right for that either. More to follow on a fix for that...

Bottom line though, they both pretty much look like Hawks when built but I prefer the Italeri if price is not an issue. If it is and you want a quick build Airfix is the way to go.

I sure hope Revell gets the shape right on their 1/32 Hawk!

HTH,

Gabe

What would YOU know!! LOL

Gents, Gabe is a very good pal of mine and frankly I have never met anyone so pasionate about Hawks!! I (we) are priveleged to have him as a member of the Two Mikes team!! He just keeps sending us parts for Hawks, Skyhawks and 707s!! Oh and he is a fantastic friend to boot.

:(

Mike

Sorry if I steal the fread at the moment.

But is there any chance to make a resin nose to correct both the Italeri and Airfix kits? I want to build the Italeri and need to fix the nose but I rather want to buy a nose than deal with it myself. (Ok, it is not hard to do but I want to put the time on other projects).

Glue safely

Tobias

You're way too kind Mike!

Yes Tobias, it is quite possible (and likely) that I will do a correction nose for the Italeri Hawk. It just hasn't been on the front burner lately. Perhaps I need to adjust my model-related priorities...

Gabe

You're way too kind Mike!

Yes Tobias, it is quite possible (and likely) that I will do a correction nose for the Italeri Hawk. It just hasn't been on the front burner lately. Perhaps I need to adjust my model-related priorities...

Gabe

How about a T-45 conversion while you're at it. I have a set of decals in 1/48 for the T-45 that I think have your name on them.

Rick

How about a T-45 conversion while you're at it. I have a set of decals in 1/48 for the T-45 that I think have your name on them.

Rick

That would, in fact be my name on there! Just wait til you guys see what's coming out of the paint barn at Kingsville in a month or so!

-Gabe

Gabe

Priorities are always the downside of life, all we need is a way to clone our self. Looking forward to see the nose sometime.

Glue safely

Tobias

Jesse.

Jesse

Did you try High Planes to see if they still their Hawk 127 LIF kit? It is the most accurate of any but does need careful assembly.

Jesse

Did you try High Planes to see if they still their Hawk 127 LIF kit? It is the most accurate of any but does need careful assembly.

That's it. I knew I forgot something for the list. Thanks madmike.

I had a look at a review here, with pics of the set and preferred the R&R set (here). I think the details are better.

As for the accuracy of the High Planes kit overall, it looks pretty good, with people more knowledgeable than I giving it the green light.

When I was looking it was about AU$80, but the website now says they go for AU$35, so it would definitely be worth a look.

High Planes kit built here.

High Planes site.

Jesse.