Has the USAF copyrighted its inisgnia?

OK, so only a geek like me would even notice this, but take a look at the CGI Bell X-1 in this commercial...

Cellphone commercial

Instead of the USAF insignia, the X-1 has three diagonal hash marks on the fuselage and left wing. I wonder if there was some copyright issue, or somebody thought the insignia might distract from the commercial (especially if it's also being run in countries were the U.S. isn't so popular.)

SN

No. The United States government does not copyright or trademark its stuff. Contrary to what some in the USCG and NASA may think, their logos are not trademarks.

J

The RAF roundel can be, and is, trademarked, as it is the personal property of HM the Queen.

The USAF insignia, on the other hand, is the property of the People of the United States, and cannot be trademarked.

Maybe to keep the commercial generic for worldwide distribution? I realize the machines themselves are American, but maybe without insignia the commercial gets a less USA USA feel?

The most likely explanation.

The RAF roundel can be, and is, trademarked, as it is the personal property of HM the Queen.

Wrong on both counts I am afraid.

The RAF tried to trademark the roundel but were told by the courts that it had been in the public domain for too long. There is a stylized version which they are now using that has some kind of trade mark associated with it.

The roundel is not the personal property of the Queen.

Julien

I could swear I read that the new "Hap Arnold" style insignia was copyrighted when they first came out with it, but for the life of me I can't find it now. Of course, that didn't exist when the X-1 flew, so I have no clue why they did that. May just be that the lawyers decided not to risk it. All part of the dumbing down of America, and lawsuit paranoia I guess.

Mark

I think they want to use this commercial around the world, so they deleted it. I'd say the number of people who actually recognize it as the Bell X-1 is pretty slim. The Saturn on the other hand? Who knows. Its all supposed to be about progress but what Transportation has to do with communications beats me. Maybe the people who watch it will think that its a teleporter now. Beam me up Scotty!

Sabre

even if aint no copyrighted, i think you have to obtain permission, i don't think USAF wanted to support Sprint in any manner.

maybe governaments logos arent copyrighted... but you surely cannot use them in any manner you wished...

May just be that the lawyers decided not to risk it. All part of the dumbing down of America

How does the second part of this follow from the first?