Dial-up is finally ‘getting’ to me after 5 years; just taken me over 2.5 hrs to get Windows updates for this month. I've looked at reviews on the net for the likes of Plus Net, TalkTalk, BT, Post Office etc and all I see are people with loads of problems ie speeds way down, technical help is useless (foreign country), modems don’t work properly…. :bandhead2:

Don’t want it for downloading music or movies. I would be most interested to hear which ISP you use and if you're happy with the service.

Thanks for any input.

John

I have AOL{I am based in UK} and their service is very good and they have customer focused service based in UK.{Actually I think they are In Dublin} but they are efficent and at the moment they have some really good package deals...

I have broadband and takes no time...seconds if not minutes to get online!

Good luck in your endeavors..

Hello John, good to see you.

My sister just converted from dial-up to Broadband and does n't know why she did n't do it years ago!

Even at the cheapest option/slowest speed it is still many times better than dial-up. I think she went with TalkTalk via her BT landline.

I use Virgin Media which started as NTL many moons ago. Recently downgraded to their slowest version without any noticable loss of speed/convenience. Like you, I don't download movies or music to any degree so the slowest speed is perfectly adequate for my needs. Even uploading all of my photos here at ARC does n't approach any monthly limitations. The only thing I would say is that on the odd occasion that I've needed to contact Virgin for help/support I have spent hours trying to get through to their call centres :)

Good luck with the change, I'm sure you'll enjoy your high speed surfing. :)

Cheers.

:)

Thanks for taking the time to give me some feedback. Come on the rest of you, it will only take a few minutes to indicate your ISP and happy or not happy :nanner:

The only thing I would say is that on the odd occasion that I've needed to contact Virgin for help/support I have spent hours trying to get through to their call centres

Hi Guy, yeah that's what worries me. You also find things like with the PO Broadband there is no connection charge having a BT line, but for TalkTalk it is £69.99 for my area!! (Not £29.99 as shown on their website)

Thanks

confused.com

If you can get fibre optic broadband - as provided by Virgin Media and BT Infinity - then go for that. Make sure you check it is actually fibre optic you're signing up to. Otherwise they're all pretty much the same. They all run over the BT network so it doesn't matter who provides your broadband, the speed and stability will be the same with all of them. Remember that 'up to 40 MB' speeds mean just that - I'm on a 'up to 40MB' line and I barely get 1 or 2 MB due to the distance from the local exchange. In either case you're better off looking for the cheapest or that which offers the most in the package.

Vince

HI John

I am in South Devon with poor conectivity however I use NILDRAM and consistiently get, like right now 4.7 MBPS. I am still using a modem and am happy with that set up.

I have been with them since 1999 and only ever had no connection twice in the very early days. They are a little expensive but they have U.K. based tech support and the call is a local rate call . If they cannot sort the problem they do actually call you back and talk you through. I have no complaints with them at all.

John

Another thumbs up for Virgin, have been with them for a few yrs now, appaling service but then thankfully one never needs to phone their £1 a minute tech help line!!, or at least I haven't since the days of NTL!!

For a pound or 2 extra, I get free national calls, anytime.

I'm on the 8MB ADSL package which for you and the rest of the decent law abiding citizens who dont dl gigs of vids and music this is way more than sufficient.

Total cost is round £20.

Recommended.

Edited by model_madness