Mig-29 (9-13), 1/32 scale, RevelloTrump

Hello, guys'n'gals!

Here we go again! I eventually dared to post my ever first WIP thread, so, please, be indulgent. :D

The matter is that I managed to completely rebuild my old completion. Actually it's not my style to return to old completions, especially meaning to rebuild them thoroughly. Yes, I was doubt and udecided for a long time as to whether to split her or leave intact and maybe to start a new kit. But finally I've made my mind to give a sacrifice for accuracy sake and by the May, 17 my poor Mig had been completely split up and lied dismembered waiting for vast plastic surgery to commence.

Please, don't blame me, I'm not a plastic Chikatilo, I'm just a plastic surgeon and I hope my Mig will apparently look much better with a lot of nice implants I've been keeping for her. :blink:

So, please be seated and relaxed, with a cup of tea, coffe, a glass of beer or with tumbler of whiskey to follow a loooong jorney I offer you now.

Well, the first pics before the surgery commences.

51947-56834-32511286-m750x740.jpg

All those sweet implants made by Zactoman (some of them with the use of my master patterns) I've been keeping:

51947-8967b-32511289-m750x740.jpg

This is how she looked like after the surgery commenced. I assure you, I didn't hurt her much. :bandhead2:

51947-ed7df-32511291-m750x740.jpg

Well, after some issues I decided to bashing two kits - Revell's Mig-29A (now split) and Trumpeter's Mig-29M (9-15).

The upper fuselage will be from Revell, the lower portion from Trumpeter's kit.

51947-8bdfa-32511294-m750x740.jpg

I started with the lower fuselage, cut off some "irrelevant" material just like this:

51947-cd79d-32511298-m549x500.jpg

Well, I think it's enough for now. I suppose you are a bit tired so let's come back after a short delay.

I promise to show you more when I have a spare time.

Cheers and happy modeling!

Alexander.

:thumbsup:

p.s. Oh, nearly forgot... Dear Rivet Counters, please relax and don't sharpen darts of your critique, I'm building for my own pleasure. :rolleyes:

Edited by Eastern

Hi Alexander,

So glad you decided to share this bold and ambitious project,

You're very brave to break apart a previously completed model but I have the highest confidence that your new build will be a significant improvement.

Good luck, I too will be following with great interest.popcorn.gif

:woo:

Edited by geedubelyer

GREAT! I will follow with keen interest.

So, please be seated and relaxed, with a cup of tea, coffe, a glass of beer or with tumbler of whiskey to follow a loooong jorney I offer you now.

VODKA! :shoot:

Edited by Kalashnikov-47

Hi guys! Thanks for encouragement!

Hi Alexander,

So glad you decided to share this bold and ambitious project,

You're very brave to break apart a previously completed model but I have the highest confidence that your new build will be a significant improvement.

Good luck, I too will be following with great interest.popcorn.gif

;)

Hello, my friend! Nice to see you here. I hope you've reserved enormous amount of beer to follow my long story? :doh:

BTW, when you intend to turn back to your Cat? I suppose she's going to collect dust stopped hoping to feel your careful hands again. :)

Alexander.

Hi Alexander, I will be looking forward to your Mig-29 build. Right now I am struggling with a 1/32 scale Urkainian SU-27 with all the nice parts from Zactoman. I do have a 1/32 scale Mig-29 with all the parts from Zactoman. Maybe by following your build you will give me the courage to start it. I did have one question for everyone. I would love to build two or three more Mig-29's has anyone heard of if Revell would come out with this kit again or some other company would produce it? Look forward to your progress Alexander. Dan

This promises to be an unbelievable model!! Im watching with huge interest.

Btw... I wonder how well Chikatilo is known outside of Russia and Ukraine? He was a big believer in the saying "If you are going to do something, do it very well" :thumbsup:

Alexander,

What a brave soul you are performing such delicate surgery...

So the model is properly anaesthesized I guess and ready for your delicate handsto transform it.......{Did not know WE had PLASTIC surgeons in our midst ! :thumbsup: }

and I know you will turn this MiG into a MAGNIFICENT model.{I thought you did a lovely, great Job on it the first time around too though!}.

MY cup of Chai is at hand .. so off you go Alexander..

BETS WISHES..

HOLMES

Hi guys! Thanks for the input!

To Ghostkiller:

Yes, you might be right, it's not a proper Forum for posting WIP, but after all, isn't it a Jet Modelling? :woot.gif:

Suggestions? Ask the Mods to remove it?

To MR BLUE:

I actually unaware if Chicatilo well known world wide, but as one of greatists cannibals he should be yet as an excellent classic example for psychiatry students. ;)

exelent

Alexander,

What a brave soul you are performing such delicate surgery...

So the model is properly anaesthesized I guess and ready for your delicate handsto transform it.......{Did not know WE had PLASTIC surgeons in our midst ! }

and I know you will turn this MiG into a MAGNIFICENT model.{I thought you did a lovely, great Job on it the first time around too though!}.

MY cup of Chai is at hand .. so off you go Alexander..

BETS WISHES..

HOLMES

Hello HOLMES! Really touched with your kind words. Oh yes, I used the best anesthetic ever known. :taunt: PLASTIC surgenons amoung us? Plastic...er...in what sense? Enlarging lips, correcting eyelids? :nanner:

As for the progress...Well, only today I eventually spotted that upper and lower halfs of the fuselage don't mutch up. So, the build is promising to be really "hemorrhoidal".

I intend to post a couple of pics tomorrow and share some revealed problems with you.

Alexander.

:touche:

Great WIP Alexander! Will follow!

P.s. Don't you think it's a wrong forum section for WIP though? :thumbsup:

Privet!

As for the proper forum, see post #15 :thumbsup:

Cheers!

Alexander.

Edited by Eastern

Hello everybody!

Now some pics and comments.

One of the issues is that both Revell's and Trumpeters lower fuselage portions have a horisintal bottom line whilst the real thing has that curved downward as shown on the below drawing.

51947-cd21d-33094459-m750x740.jpg

Next problem was that Trumpeter's lower fuselage in its lenght from 1/2 the intake lenght further to the aft, within the intakes and nacelles area was not flat in transverse direction. To fix the problems, the following steps were undertaken:

1. I cut some plastic off the Trumpy's lower fuselage and then got it flat having heated it up above electric oven and pressed between two wooden planks.

51947-e8768-32511296-m549x500.jpg51947-f1069-32511300-m549x500.jpg

Now the in-question area is flat and...

51947-95760-32511301-m549x500.jpg

...to be fixed into the place, just like this:

51947-887cf-32511303-m549x500.jpg51947-88e7a-32511304-m549x500.jpg

To fix the main gear bays horisontally and to make the lower fuselage to be rigid, two transverse plastic members were qlued

between the bays.

51947-cc0ef-32826289-m549x500.jpg51947-45de4-32826290-m549x500.jpg

All was looking fine...until another problem had been revealed...

The story to be continued. But now...my dinner's served and beckons me. ;)

Cheers!

Alexander.

Well, now that I'm full and relalaxed after having my dinner, my story is about to continue. :)

As I said above, the problem appeared only after I started examining the drawings thoroughly.

The matter was that both Revell's and Trumpeter's lower fuselage halfs didn't match each other.

The pic below shows it nicely:

51947-75216-33094451-m750x740.jpg

That of Revell's is 12 mm longer measured from the fore end of the main gear bays.

If I use the Trumpeter's detail as it is I risk to mismatch the gear bays and thus the intakes position 'cause they

would appear to be 12 mm displaced to the nose from their true position.

To fix the problem I managed to undertake a transplantation surgery. ;)

The pics below show the matter (left - Revell's fuselage fragment, right - that of Trumpeter):

51947-3b719-33094453-m549x500.jpg

51947-5bc2f-33094457-m750x740.jpg

51947-ee20f-33094458-m750x740.jpg

After the surgery both halfs correlate OK:

51947-1c082-33094456-m750x740.jpg

Well, I decaded to delay with the fuselage for a while and switch over to the intakes.

But the intakes story is for the next time. ;) I think I've charged you quite enough to feel tired and then, stop drinking too

much beer while watching the pics, it's not good for your health. :P

Cheers!

Alexander.

:cheers:

:tease: :lol: You animal. Well this one will be for the books and of course a whole lot of interest from me.. Keep up the great work my friend.

Roy

No, I'm not...not a bit. I'm just a plastic surgeon. :rolleyes:

Nice to see you here, Roy! Thanks for dropping by.

I hope to see your own WIP on your mammoth project in foreseeable future. ;)

Cheers!

Alexander.

:cheers:

Wow, that is a surgery for sure. Maybe i have missed it, but why do you use Trumpeter lower portion, and not just Revells? (other than the small, imho, difference in details) I was a bit puzzled about this...

Wow, that is a surgery for sure. Maybe i have missed it, but why do you use Trumpeter lower portion, and not just Revells? (other than the small, imho, difference in details) I was a bit puzzled about this...

Hi Berkut!

The Trumpeter's lower fuselage has more accurate features and then, the intakes! Revell's in kit ones are simply bad. That of Trumpy's are more accurate but need some surgery as well. :rolleyes:

The difference between Revell's and Trumpeter's lower portions is conciderable and I say it again, that of Trumpeter's is more accurate. :lol:

Cheers!

Alexander.