Mig-29 (9-13), 1/32 scale, RevelloTrump

Yes indeed, what's been going on with this project. Not only do I want to see more progress, but selfishly, I'm anxious for it to be wrapping up so that we can see more of Alexander's wonderful pattern work. There's at least one Zactoproduct in the offing that I'm really anxious to see!

Any updates on the build, and availability of the intakes?

Hi!

My Mig-29 project just took a back seat for my new OH-58D build.

As for the intakes, Chris currently is trying to fix them to match the Revell's in-kit parts. I've mismatch them a bit unfortunately.

I hope they will be available before long.

Cheers!

Alexander

Cheers Alexander, I recently bought the Revell kit, for not a bad price - all your fault! - so looking forward to you resuming your build, and maybe producing more Zactogoodies!!

My Mig-29 project just took a back seat for my new OH-58D build.
Which if any of you haven't seen yet, it's definitely worth checking out! :thumbsup:

http://s362974870.onlinehome.us/forums/air/index.php?showtopic=227564

As for the intakes, Chris currently is trying to fix them to match the Revell's in-kit parts. I've mismatch them a bit unfortunately.
The intakes aren't necessarily 'mismatched', they just were made to fit Alexander's Franken-MiG.

Because he used the lower fuselage from the Trump kit they don't fit the Revell kit.

I finally found some time and for the past several days I've been trying to tweak a casting to get it to fit the Revell kit.

I'm sorry to say that as of last night, I've given up in frustration and set the project aside...

The problems I'm having are two-fold.

I am trying to heat and distort a casting to fit the contours of the Revell kit, which I was able to do relatively successfully. Unfortunately in distorting the part to fit, the intake opening is now a parallelogram instead of a rectangle and the FOD door won't fit.

The solution would be to start cutting and splicing in which case I would have to lose the beautiful surface detail and restore it.

The other problem is that I'm working with a casting of a casting so there is already double shrinkage. Production parts would likely be slightly undersized.

The only option would be for me to start hacking Alexanders original patterns (made from a casting) rather than a copy of them. I would have to make production molds directly from the fragile spliced patterns which would likely break during the molding process so I'd be limited to one set of molds and about 30 castings. Just not worth all the time it would take to modify the patterns.

The best solution would be to start over from the beginning and make them to fit the stock Revell kit. I just have too many other projects higher on the list right now...

Sorry to those who have been hoping to get a pair. :crying2:

I'm looking forward to seeing your MiG on the bench again Alexander! This is certainly an ambitious project!

:cheers:

Which if any of you haven't seen yet, it's definitely worth checking out! :thumbsup:

http://s362974870.onlinehome.us/forums/air/index.php?showtopic=227564

The intakes aren't necessarily 'mismatched', they just were made to fit Alexander's Franken-MiG.

Because he used the lower fuselage from the Trump kit they don't fit the Revell kit.

I finally found some time and for the past several days I've been trying to tweak a casting to get it to fit the Revell kit.

I'm sorry to say that as of last night, I've given up in frustration and set the project aside...

The problems I'm having are two-fold.

I am trying to heat and distort a casting to fit the contours of the Revell kit, which I was able to do relatively successfully. Unfortunately in distorting the part to fit, the intake opening is now a parallelogram instead of a rectangle and the FOD door won't fit.

The solution would be to start cutting and splicing in which case I would have to lose the beautiful surface detail and restore it.

The other problem is that I'm working with a casting of a casting so there is already double shrinkage. Production parts would likely be slightly undersized.

The only option would be for me to start hacking Alexanders original patterns (made from a casting) rather than a copy of them. I would have to make production molds directly from the fragile spliced patterns which would likely break during the molding process so I'd be limited to one set of molds and about 30 castings. Just not worth all the time it would take to modify the patterns.

The best solution would be to start over from the beginning and make them to fit the stock Revell kit. I just have too many other projects higher on the list right now...

Sorry to those who have been hoping to get a pair. :crying2:

I'm looking forward to seeing your MiG on the bench again Alexander! This is certainly an ambitious project!

:cheers:

Hi Chris and thanks for explanation and for encouraging me somehow.

Yeah, it's gonna be a big problem to fit the intakes to the Revell's parts as I can see.

But you can feel free to do whatever you want with the original patterns. If you decide to split them, I just encourage you to do that.

You've got all original Revell's parts to fit the intakes.

But if you're a time short, I could fix the problem by myself using the resin copies. Just send me a sketch with proper dimensions.;)

As for my Mig-29 project, I will apparently put my hands on it again after I have my Kiowa project completed. Yet I'm keeping in mind to start a new scratchbuild project - R-23/24 for 1/32 scale Mig-23 kit.

Cheers!

Alexander

Well let me give a hearty HUZZAH for the R-23/R-24 project - the Trumpy kit definitely needs that upgrade, I'll be first in line for my current project, and then more for the later MiG-23 projects that I have planned.

• 6 years later...

Hi guys,

Since the Trumpy eventually brought into the market their new "masterpiece",  I mean Mig-29A 1/32, I think it's about time to revive this thread and post some updates I made so far. I will upload some pics in a few days.

Cheers and happy modeling!

Alexander

2 hours ago, karl h said:

hi Alexander, good to see you a´re back at it!

Hi Karl. Nice to hear from you.

Well, into my latest updates. The air brakes. I cobbled them up yet on May 2016.

There are some pics of the master patterns:

51947-5fcbb-95915892-m750x740-u7227f.jpg

51947-a190e-95915898--u90a22.jpg

Of course, I offered all those parts to Zactoman that to resin cast them for me and that to being adapted to the Revell's kit. I hope he will manage to fit the parts to Revell's kit and for that of Trumpeter.

Chris displayed his great generosity and resin cast the parts for me but since then he hasn't adapted them for the Revell's kit. Stil I hope he will.

This is how the parts turned out being resin cast:

51947-5c0ee-103070355-m750x740-u6b8aa.jp

51947-d9079-103070356-m750x740-ua6a90.jp

51947-4d2e5-103070359--ueb695.jpg

More updates soon.

Cheers!

Alexander

1 hour ago, karl h said:

very nice work! what do you think of the new trumpy kit?

Chris gave me a link to one guy's struggling on the kit. As I gathjered from his struggling the kit has toooo many issues to fix. 

And I think that all those resin parts Zactoman has cast so far for the Revell's kit will be a nice complement to newly tooled (!) Trumpy's kit. ;)

Here is the link:  http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=34338&page=3

BTW, I've been following your struggling with your Revell's kit and I have tosay that all your struggling was worth the end result. The model turned to be superb.

May I ask you Karl, what's on your bench presently?

Cheers!

Alexander

since i am on LSP daily, i have been following martins build, which is superb. i feared you would say that the trumpy kit has a lot of issues...

as for my build, sadly a lot of the pics are gone because of photobucket shutting down hosting, only 16 of 50+ pages are visible (i have them on my harddrive though). i do think it was worth it, even if the outcome is less than stellar. i learned a lot. when i now compare pics of the new trumpeter kit to the revell kit there are two areas that are definitely better: the wings - the moving surfaces are completely fictional om the revell kit- and the whellwells for the MLG, these also have no similarity to the real thing. i struggled mightily with vacparts to correct them. i think i have to get the trumpy kit and do some comparison.+

as for what i am up to now: http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=65641&hl=

lots of pics gone too :-( only the last page shows pics after i switched to flikr)

Edited by karl h

I checked this thread and found that there were very few updates posted so far despite there are lots.

I corrected both upper and lower portions of the fuselage and many other parts. I will post step by step all the pics available in my photo stash.

Now what I accomplished with the body parts using some Zactomodels' resin stuff:

51947-fd99d-40026025-m750x740-u9e78a.jpg

51947-e1c26-86726471-m750x740-uea0f5.jpg

51947-cf2ab-86726474-m750x740-u016fb.jpg

51947-9cc78-89395219-m750x740-u1b8aa.jpg

51947-dab63-95915773-m750x740-u14157.jpg

That's all for now but I'll be back very soon with more updates. ;)

Cheers!

Alexander

6 minutes ago, karl h said:

since i am on LSP daily, i have been following martins build, which is superb. i feared you would say that the trumpy kit has a lot of issues...

as for my build, sadly a lot of the pics are gone because of photobucket shutting down hosting, only 16 of 50+ pages are visible (i have them on my harddrive though). i do think it was worth it, even if the outcome is less than stellar. i learned a lot. when i now compare pics of the new trumpeter kit to the revell kit there are two areas that are definitely better: the wings - the moving surfaces are completely fictional om the revell kit- and the whellwells for the MLG, these also have no similarity to the reak thing. i struggled mightily with vacparts to correct them. i think i have to get the trumpy kit and do some comparison.+

as for what i am up to now: http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=65641&hl=

lots of pics gone too :-( only the last page shows pics after i switched to flikr)

Thank you for the link Karl, though most of images can't be seen. But from those available I can predict for sure it will be a stunner.;)

Cheers and happy modeling!

Alexander

7 minutes ago, karl h said:

you nailed the shape of the front fuselage!

BTW, if set aside some details the Trumpy's fuselage in not so bad and very closer to the real thing. At least, their kit is much better than the Revell's one.

But with all those uptodate technologies, why on Earth they fu...d it up?! 

Alexander

Hi guys,

some updates on the cockpit.

I used ins.panel fromthe Revell's kit, some resin aftermarket stuff for Mig-29M (don't remember the brand) and added some scratchbuilds.

This is how the cockpit looks at the moment I'mtyping this.

51947-9c1ee-95915806-m750x740-u7118b.jpg

51947-046ec-95915809-400-uea50d.jpg51947-c575b-95915770-m549x500-u14ce9.jpg

51947-a94ac-95915801-m549x500-ucc2d0.jpg51947-261b3-95915763-m549x500-uf916f.jpg

I know it's far from ideal and not so accurate and it's still needs to be brushed up. 

One day I will put my hands on it again. ;)

1 minute ago, karl h said:

this brings back a lot of memories :-)

did you see the cold war studio cockpit? it looks pretty nice. but scratchbuilding the pit is much braver, very good job!

Hi Karl. Thanks for interest. As for the 'pit you mentioned, I'm afraid I havn't seen it yet.

Well, now some images of the improoved main LG wells.

BTW, Tamiya Putty is very nice stuff. ;)

51947-d8c45-95915863-m549x500-u338c1.jpg51947-a76f8-95915871-m549x500-ua11f7.jpg

51947-77ae5-95915879-m549x500-u9599c.jpg51947-44316-95915882-m750x740-u696fe.jpg

I'll be back with more updates soon.

Cheers!

Alexander

On 8/1/2017 at 5:29 AM, Eastern said:

BTW, if set aside some details the Trumpy's fuselage in not so bad and very closer to the real thing. At least, their kit is much better than the Revell's one.

But with all those uptodate technologies, why on Earth they fu...d it up?! 

Alexander

This is exactly what everyone should hear. Although Trumpy screwed up as usual, the kit IS better than what we have been building over the past 25 years. Perhaps not enough to interest me in purchasing the kit, but still a better, more accurate kit.

On 03.08.2017 at 7:58 PM, karl h said:

Hi  Karl,

Tnx for the link. Yes, I did see it. But since rouble dropped considerably I managed to scratchbuild the cockpit parts instead of buying from outside.;)

Well, more pics.

Some improvements on the intakes.

51947-6ac97-103130209-m549x500-u45df3.jp

51947-b0bfa-103130210--uca645.jpg

Some improvements on the lower portion of the fuselage.

51947-bc3db-103130207-m750x740-u17c81.jp

The Revell's in-kit fins were way too wide so made a pattern from a plastic sheet using an authentic drawing to bring the fins' lower section to the real shape.

51947-0e1e4-103130211-m750x740-udb3c7.jp

I used Zactoman parts for the fins. Now that the fins are as they have to be, I gave them riveting and panel lines.

51947-6bc51-103130212--u94038.jpg

See ya soon...

Now some updates on the main landing gear.

51947-8c96d-103130214-m549x500-u3fa51.jp51947-3f74d-103130215-m549x500-u030cb.jp

51947-23d2a-103130216-m750x740-u1e2cd.jp

As soon as it will be 9-13 option, I used Zactomodels' wing tips.

51947-20b6e-95915923--u8c5c1.jpg

Now some updated on the canopy. I used a canopy from Trumpeter's Mig-29M kit that the canopy is much clowser to that of the real thing.

The resin part on the rear portion of the canopy is Zactomodels' stuff to match the canopy to the 9-13 spine.

I had to use Tamiya putty on the canopy to make framing and fit it to the fuselage lines.

51947-1a6c5-95915926-m549x500-u62ef6.jpg51947-92abb-95915931-m750x740-u59887.jpg

51947-fdbe6-95915941-m750x740-ucf427.jpg

Thanks for looking and interst.

Alexander