I started paint the interior. XF-71 Tamiya, lights and shadows and a wash with Bitumen of Judea. A dry brush with XF-11.

I'm not familiar with Judea, but the result is awesome!! Looking very realistic!!

Daniël

Previously served to protect the wood and give an appearance of old wood. Currently it is used to give patinas to images on porcelain. I mixed with water spirit for washes. I prefer to use the Bitumen of Judea instead oil paints.

Me10921.jpg

Nice work ajmac! The aircraft you're building is a Mitsubishi-built aircraft, and these had wheel wells that were the same colour as the under surface. Only the Nakajima-built aircraft had aotake wheel bays. Of course, I'm assuming the colour profile you're working with is accurate, as the main distinguishing feature between the two is the demarcation line between the upper and lower surface colours. On Mitsubishi airframes it was straight, like in your profile. On Nakajima-built airframes, it curved up to the front of the horizontal tail planes.

Kev

Nice work ajmac! The aircraft you're building is a Mitsubishi-built aircraft, and these had wheel wells that were the same colour as the under surface. Only the Nakajima-built aircraft had aotake wheel bays. Of course, I'm assuming the colour profile you're working with is accurate, as the main distinguishing feature between the two is the demarcation line between the upper and lower surface colours. On Mitsubishi airframes it was straight, like in your profile. On Nakajima-built airframes, it curved up to the front of the horizontal tail planes.

Kev

This means that if I make the scheme have chosen

A6M506.jpg

I have to paint the wheel wells and the doors with the color of under surface. Correct?

Or make a version Nakajima.

And the interior of ailerons?

Thanks

This means that if I make the scheme have chosen

A6M506.jpg

I have to paint the wheel wells and the doors with the color of under surface. Correct?

Or make a version Nakajima.

And the interior of ailerons?

Thanks

Well, you don't have to, no! But it would be more accurate, yes. By ailerons, do you mean the flaps? I'm not certain about those, so you could probably go either way. Colour photos of a restoration in the Modelmania book show under surface colour though.

Kev

• 2 months later...

Kev

I heard that Nakajima Zeros had white borders around the Hinomarus as well, and Aotake blue cockpit interiors (correct me if I'm wrong).

However, I had never seen landing gear bays done in underside colors. It seems like it's fairly controversial!

a6m5mb_7.JPG

A6M5-BSh.jpg

It seems like the second has its undersides finished in aluminum, with the fabric control surfaces, and drop-tank painted light grey.

I have to say, I'm glad I'm not building a Zero, lol! Lots of research is in store for anyone who does :cop:

Edited by Romanator21