New Airfix 1/48th Bf109E - quick look!

I see they've called Matchbox's Mad Trencher out of retirement. Are you sure that's 1/48? Those panel lines would look overstated even in 1/72!

SN

These are not trenches but merely expansion joints to allow the tropical versions to maintain full spec in blazing tropical sun, those Germans were so clever.

Not really sure if Airfix is in direct competetion with either Dragon or Eduard. Airfix as a brand has much more meaning in England than any other brand and will almost automatically get the 'average' modellers first choice.

For me that is very true. While I desperately want to build the Eduard Me-110 kit. My skill level is much lower. I made Airfix as a kid so they have this huge nostalga buzz for me now. I like the new boxes. They are very cheap. I paid 10.00 for the PR Spitfire. When I make mistakes, which I am, it isn't making me cry. Yes its still frustrating but not as bad on a 10quid puppy than a 50.00 one. The Spit has been going together pretty well. So the tooling might not be Tamiya but it isn't garbage. Right now I love Airfix. I just picked up their Seahawk to do.

I am happy to see them do the 109 E as its my fav. But I won't complain if they do the other variants.

I see they've called Matchbox's Mad Trencher out of retirement. Are you sure that's 1/48? Those panel lines would look overstated even in 1/72!

SN

Are you sure this is Airfix? Looks like Matchbox! Not a bad little kit and nice looking markings. What will the second boxing offer in the way of markings?

Are you sure this is Airfix? Looks like Matchbox! Not a bad little kit and nice looking markings. What will the second boxing offer in the way of markings?

See my comment above re panel lines.

It has been reported that the next boxing will contain markings for Luftwaffe in the Western Desert (JG27 perhaps?), Condor Legion and Romanian schemes.

J

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

Englander here who has just purchased this kit for £10, about $15 I think. The fit of parts and general detail is much better than what Airfix have ever done before.

On the panel lines- photos lie!!!! ;)

They are quite acceptable, as Jonathan's model proves- was following that build over on Hyperscale and loved it

Also having the ability to build an E-1, E-3, E-4 and E-4/Trop from the same box is fantastic and puts other companies to shame.

It is selling extremely well over here and the money is funding new projects like a line of Gloster Meteors and possibly the Javelin- ooops, forgot Prop Forum!!! :sign_spam:

There is also the fact that younger people can afford this kit and build it. My nephew now has the Hurricane, Spitfire and Bf-109 for about £35 ($60) ...... You pay that for a Hasegawa 109 that a youngster couldn't put together if he/ she was lucky enough to afford it.

Long Live Airfix

Lee :D

My spidey-senses just started tingling......or that may just be gas

<clip>

It is selling extremely well over here and the money is funding new projects like a line of Gloster Meteors and possibly the Javelin- ooops, forgot Prop Forum!!! :thumbsup:

<clip>

Long Live Airfix

Lee :thumbsup:

Lee thanks for adding a new brick to the Rumourmongering Hall of Fame I am building.

Matt

Thanks Matt,

The Meteor line comes from a guy on the Airfix stand at Duxford a few weeks back- The Javelin was a possibilty- mind you the guy looked about 14 so who knows :salute:

Makes sense though, Dynavector do the Sea Vix and TSR.2, Airfix do them.

Aeroclub do the Canberra and Vulcan, and now Airfix do them (The Vulcan's in the pipe)

Anythings gotta be better than the Classic Airframes Meteors- yuk!

Strange that don't you think?

Let's keep things crossed though

Long Live Airfix!

Lee :whistle:

Just curious, it sounds like the only thing aftermarket that may be needed is a new prop - like that from Ultracast - due to the blads being 'skinny'

http://www.ultracast.ca/products/48/128/default.htm

Here is a list of Ultracast's 109 resin. Fairly inexpensive and most important of all - the stuff I have used actually fits the kits!

http://www.ultracast.ca/Aircraft%20Accesso...%20Bf%20109.htm