men's suit fashions....sorry, excuse my rant (pleasantly concluded

sorry to burden readers...

just dropped a suit (actually my only one) off to be repaired today, and the employee who took it commented on how long i've had it. its 6 years old...

when taking the suit and looking at it gave me a date to pick it up and i said "thats fine, i'm not going to need it for a follow up interview...i wouldn't wear the same thing twice" as a joke to lighten things up. he said well its really old and that i should think about getting a new one, i told him after i get a job...then out it comes...

"well if you were wearing that suit, i wouldn't hire you"

guy has alot balls telling that to a customer...don't you think?

i don't honestly believe suit fashions have changed that much in 6 years, especially for those of us who don't wear them every day. am i just ignorant of the facts?

Edited by zerosystem
sorry to burden readers...

just dropped a suit (actually my only one) off to be repaired today, and the employee who took it commented on how long i've had it. its 6 years old...

when taking the suit and looking at it gave me a date to pick it up and i said "thats fine, i'm not going to need it for a follow up interview...i wouldn't wear the same thing twice" as a joke to lighten things up. he said well its really old and that i should think about getting a new one, i told him after i get a job...then out it comes...

"well if you were wearing that suit, i wouldn't hire you"

guy has alot balls telling that to a customer...don't you think?

i don't honestly believe suit fashions have changed that much in 6 years, especially for those of us who don't wear them every day. am i just ignorant of the facts?

Gosh he does have some temerity. But I'm also somewhat dubious of his assessment. My understanding is that men's clothing styles, at least so far as I understand it in the United States, aren't quite so "planned obsolescence" as what the ladies face. From what I was told and from one or two books I've perused on the subject, you can wear the latest or a "classic" cut depending on the message you wish to send about yourself, without worrying that each is automatically better or worse. If you're going for that "respectable-banker" look, the older the better-heck, pick up a fedora, a full-length umbrella, and learn to shine shoes. If you want the "mildly eccentric intellectual" look, the bow-tie is you game. If you're applying to be a manager at the new nightclub in town, you're probably thinking "postmodern," with dark shirts and artsy tie-prints. The important thing is cleanliness, neatness, and if you're going for the really expensive job, quality of fit and cut. But maybe we have a Haberdasher amidst our ranks who may qualify or correct the above...

You can go broke staying in with whats acceptable at the moment. I'd rather buy kits myself.

For business though we are a bit luckier. One thing I miss about my X G/F is her ability to pick out an awesome suit. She never let the salesreps give me a bad fit etc.

here is a site that might help

suit site

CV Tips

Seems there is a whole science to colour tones etc that help you look better and more "fit"

I wouldn't have said it the way they did, but depending on the cut/fit of the suit, style, it may be time to consider a replacement if you can.

Men's fashion ages better than women's. Perhaps the offending suit simply did not agree with job-hunting?

Here's a list of words that shouldn't be in the same sentence with 'interview':

paisley

velvet

piercing

herringbone

bicolor

muttonchops

pied-de-poule

corduroy

Hawaiian

brown

goth

alligator

Loony Tunes

Whatever you choose to wear, avoid, avoid, AVOID short white socks.

Edited by Bonehammer73

Gents,

Soooo.. a powder blue leisure suit with a flora pattern shirt and black platform shoes are out? Wait, I forgot the gold chains!

Seriously, think most interviewers look to see how comfortable you are in the suit you are wearing. The style as long as it's not extreme doesn't matter.

Mark S.

Gents,

Soooo.. a powder blue leisure suit with a flora pattern shirt and black platform shoes are out? Wait, I forgot the gold chains!

Seriously, think most interviewers look to see how comfortable you are in the suit you are wearing. The style as long as it's not extreme doesn't matter.

Mark S.

You're hired! The CoV has a position for you. See the Moai Vincent Thread for processing.

Here is some advice from a long time job seeker... but finally successful a few weeks ago.

Use every advantage that you can possibly use. There are 1000000000s of people looking, 99% will have the same or better 'qualifications' and 'experience' as you.

As for a job posting, if there are 100 people applying, for most of the process, it will be about eliminating candidates, not determining who is the best. Only in the final cuts are where the 'best' are selected.

As for the suit?

Well, that is all about fit. If you are applying for anything to do with the public, art, design, sales - anything where appearances are king, then yeah - you had better have a decent suit and an up to date tie. Don't moan, don't complain and don't think you are going to change that. Ever. Its the way people are and you have to deal.

Now - there are ways to buy suits so that they are a little more 'future proof'. First and foremost - stay away from the chain suit stores. They are cheap and 'mod' and they will look like crap in a year or so depending on how oftern you wear the suit. The fibers will flay at the joints, the threads will split and generally a suit will end up looking pretty tired.

Get to know a decent men's wear store - a mom and pop with a guy who knows what he is talking about (ie, someone in the business for years and years). Tell him (more often than not a 'him') that you want a decent suit that is as future proof as possible.

He will likely lead you to the rich, dark colours (black, dark blue) and two buttons with a medium lapel. There are variations on the cut but that is the classic suit that can be made very modern with a new shirt and up to date tie.

By all means - spend a little money here. Nothing worst than seeing a $200 suit that fits wrong. Yeah - you might have saved yourself $200 but you look like crap anyway.

When it comes to jobs - first impressions to matter. Besides, if you dress well you will feel more confident and you will come off as more capable.

(and no, I am not in the clothing business!)

I'm SO glad I essentially wear pajamas to work! I own one suit and two ties. One tie is for weddings, and one is for funerals. The suit was purchased when I got married in 1997, and replaced a similar one that had been purchased 11 years earlier.

:)

J

Men's fashion ages better than women's. Perhaps the offending suit simply did not agree with job-hunting?

Here's a list of words that shouldn't be in the same sentence with 'interview':

paisley

velvet

piercing

herringbone

bicolor

muttonchops

pied-de-poule

corduroy

Hawaiian

brown

goth

alligator

Loony Tunes

Whatever you choose to wear, avoid, avoid, AVOID short white socks.

You forgot "Prince Albert".......

I have two suits. One is commonly known as Air Force Blues. The other is my plain-jane, but recently purchased, all-purpose suit. The last time I wore it was at a convention dinner. It's sort of a grey-pattern type, and nothing fancy. I appreciate the info here however, as in a couple years I'll probably need to wear one when I retire from the USAF. At least when I start interviewing. (Hopefully, I have some contacts before then!)

Just the same, I have to show you the look from 1982! For proms anyway! I was 18, a senior in high school, and my date actually picked me up in her car! Seriously! I was killing time spinning that padlock around my finger when my mom took this photo.

Mark

MarkO_1982_Prom.jpg

It just hit me (again) on what a great web community we have here at ARC. Not only can we discuss models, we can chat about, and give advice on what to wear! I love this place!

Edited by F106A

I am fifty years old, been a software engineer for more than half of that, and have never owned or worn a suit.

I have worn a tux on two occasions, when I was an usher at each of my brothers' weddings.

One important fact missing from this conversation - what type of job are you looking for?

yeah actually it was those guys, i wanted to tell the guy that with the addendum "with a black eye"

they didn't say anything gaudy about it when i bought it from them...with their help in choosing it...

and no i don't have any pictures right now, but its just a traditional charcoal grey suit. not going for an executive position, just a mid career clerical/logistical type of employment...nothing where i'd be having to show people in fashion up day to day.

Edited by zerosystem
I have two suits. One is commonly known as Air Force Blues. The other is my plain-jane, but recently purchased, all-purpose suit. The last time I wore it was at a convention dinner. It's sort of a grey-pattern type, and nothing fancy. I appreciate the info here however, as in a couple years I'll probably need to wear one when I retire from the USAF. At least when I start interviewing. (Hopefully, I have some contacts before then!)

Just the same, I have to show you the look from 1982! For proms anyway! I was 18, a senior in high school, and my date actually picked me up in her car! Seriously! I was killing time spinning that padlock around my finger when my mom took this photo.

Mark

MarkO_1982_Prom.jpg

It just hit me (again) on what a great web community we have here at ARC. Not only can we discuss models, we can chat about, and give advice on what to wear! I love this place!

If he is referring to a Tuxedo then yeah I would not go job hunting in one.

I own A suit..which I replace about once a decade. I got my first suit in 1982 (brown three-piece) for my high school graduation. Replaced it in 1992 with a gray double-breasted for my mom's wedding. Replaced that one last year with a plain-jane black suit for my (second0 wedding..although I ended up wearing it to a job interview a few days before the ceremony.

I work in fairly casual environment, so most of my "good" work shirts are 5-10 years old. They may be out of style..I don't know, nor do I care.

SN

I think Jeff Foxworthy's advice regarding men versus womens' fashion attitudes is the best for this case:

"You NEVER hear a guy picking up his buddy to go fishing at four a.m. say, 'DANG, Bill, you ain't gonna wear that shirt with them shoes, are ya?! It's after Labor Day!'"

I bought a suit, classic cut in charcoal a few years ago for some dancing classes my girlfriend and I were taking.

It has also worked well for my girlfriend's brother's wedding and a few presentations I've had to give to some higher end clients.

It's still in good shape, but I'm in the position that I have to buy a new one as I've lost some weight (at least two waist sizes) since the last I wore it. trying to put off buying a new one as long as I can.

One thing to remember when going for interviews is that most interviewers subconciously make up their minds about a candidate within 30 seconds of meeting them. Studies show that in an interview scenario;

- Male interviewers were more inclined to offer the position to male candidates if they had a good suit and a firm handshake.

- Female interviewers were more inclined to offer the position to male candidates if they smiled upon greeting and wore sensible, polished shoes.

Vince