Italeri F-22 1/48

Hello guys, some of you might remember me from my F-22 question about a month ago regarding the nozzles.. Here is the completed model.

This was birthday gift for a family member who LOVES the F-22, I had about a month to build it. This timeline has made me to rush the build but I hope you guys think it's not to bad (especially for a noob). I put this on a brass rod, glued that rod into a cherry wood base. I sanded and stained the wood, also got a plaque made for it as well.

I closed all the openings except for the bomb bays.

Paint was done from the 1/72 F-22 in the main page, I used acrylic mix to get that metallic look to it in the sun. If interested let me know and I can give the mix and paints i used.

Things I learned:

- used two part milliputty to fill the void (such as landing gear bay) and then while it was soft gave me something to hold my door closed. Once it was dried (over night) I was able to sand to my hard content and not worry about pushing the part through.

- I did not like how the nozzles would show through (see previous posting) so i was able to glue the tip down and then once that was dry, clap down the inside part to make it one unit (have pictures to show this if interested)

- added more parts in the intakes to not show a void (forgot the part at the top, one picture shows this mistake)

- learned how EASILY i can fill gaps with some CA and accelerator.. This trick ROCKS..

Things i missed or failed:

- the HUD was broken off while assembly, I was under a deadline and could not find it or build one. There is no HUD ;)

- the arms that hold the bomb bay door open were broke off, VERY flimsy and bad design. Missing 4 of them.

- rockets are not to specs and not accurate i am sure.

- on the port side of the cockpit, was unmasking and lifted the paint and primer!!! lucky enough i still had several layers of paint to do so it slightly covered it.. but you can still see the thickness difference.

- some of the panel lines are deeper than others and some are missing.

- i did not paint the lights on the wings

- only had one shot at fixing the dreaded spine issue, you can kinda see it if you know where to look.

- the gray line on the vertical tail goes all the way down, but should stop at the rudder...

Here are the images, again i had about a month to build this. So i could not spend the time i wish i could have. Tell me what you think (good and bad), I don't mind being told where i failed but also bring with it a suggestion how to fix that.. hehehe.

r0010229.jpg

r0010230j.jpg

r0010231.jpg

r0010233.jpg

r0010234.jpg

r0010235.jpg

r0010236.jpg

r0010238.jpg

r0010239.jpg

r0010240.jpg

It's excellent. That it's the Italeri kit is even more impressive. If you're not afraid of slugging it out with kits of such caliber, you'll really enjoy this hobby at low cost. You've got a bigger and cheaper catalog to choose from that folks who stick to the expensive "fall together" kits.