F-4E pre-110TFS (Hase 72nd)

For this F-4 (check the entries thread) I'm using a standard Hasegawa F-4F. This because I've got toooo many on them in my stash. Some additional parts (as slotted stabs will) will come from my sparepart stash, others will be made out of resin. Also some Eduard PE will be used. For the moment arms will only be TERs on the inboards, not shure if I'm going to make changes to that..

Inspired by some WIP's on this board, I trying some scratchbuilding in the pit;

IMG_1787.jpg

IMG_1788.jpg

IMG_1789.jpg

Crappy pic, but some weathering applied:

IMG_1792.jpg

That's it for the moment...

• 2 weeks later...

Work contugnued on the cockpit, and it's finished now (OK, there's to much red paint on the sticks, so that'll need some attention);

IMG_1807.jpg

IMG_1809.jpg

IMG_1814.jpg

Once the cockpit was done, I grabbed a saw and had some fun;

IMG_1838.jpg

IMG_1855.jpg

Besides the airbrakes (Eduard PE), resin extended slats (Paragon) and ailerons will be fitted to the kit.

Firts fittings show that I've cutted away just a bit to much from the slats, so quit some filling and sanding has to be done.

To be contignued....

That is shaping up very nicely, Sir!

I know nothing about the type you are building: are the alterations to the leading edges to convert to a version different from the kit, lr to improve detail?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Been overseas for the past month, glad to be back and building again :sign_spam: .

are the alterations to the leading edges to convert to a version different from the kit, lr to improve detail?

I've cut out these parts to have them replaced with resin (Paragon) extended slats. This not only gives more detail, but is also a correction to the slats of the kit it self.

The actual slats will be placed as last (later during the build), but this is what the correction to the wing looks like:

IMG_2046.jpg

IMG_2047.jpg

IMG_2050.jpg

Due to all the filling and sanding, some rescribing has to be done. Once done, the tailsection will get some attention.

• 2 weeks later...

Time for an update here...

Besides doing some body work (the filling and sanding is not my most favorite...), I started on the landinggear;

IMG_2125.jpg

After the PE was fitted, I painted all semi gloss black, this because the gives more depth to the white being sprayed afterward;

IMG_2133.jpg

The gear still needs some work (bit of repainting and weathering).

The body is getting some shape, but I hate those Hase intakes :bandhead2: , they have a very poor fit. Since I'll be using covers for the intakes, I didn't pay much attention to the insides...

IMG_2128.jpg

IMG_2130.jpg

To on the belly some filling and sanding is hard needed, so that's what I'll be doing next...

IMG_2131.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Once again time for an update here...

Nearly all glued parts needed some sanding and filling too, and that's about all I've been doing to this kit lately...

IMG_2142.jpg

IMG_2146.jpg

Since I wanted to make some visual progress, I've started painting the exhaust area of the jet. Once this is done, the area will be masked and thus allowing me to hold the kit without making fingerprints..

IMG_2149.jpg

The small airscoops are made out of resin,but still need some sanding and filling too:

IMG_2144.jpg

Can't wait to finish sanding and finally start painting the rest of the kit :worship:

• 3 weeks later...

I'm finally done sanding this one, and getting close to paintin the F-4.

The aft section has allready been painted, only just needing a bit of weathering;

IMG_2155.jpg

IMG_2160.jpg

Burnercans are from Aires (well, I made the resin copies), they still need some attention before I glue them to the jet;

IMG_2161.jpg

Also the stabilos have been painted. Before I can actually weather them, I'll have to pollish the first to make the paint look more "alive";

IMG_2165.jpg

Hope you like the progress so far!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Unfortunately I didn't make it before the official end if this group build, my second goal was to finish this one before the end of the year...but I'm affraid that due to work even that goal I will not be able to make...

However, it's not to long before I can start painting this Phantom;

IMG_2212.jpg

IMG_2209.jpg

IMG_2215.jpg

As allways (as it seems), before it's ready to be painted, there allways more small details to be fixed.... So, a little bit more filling and sanding......

Just curious why did you cut the wing tips and glue them back on ? I tough you cut them off to put them in the folded position !

I'm not shure if I inderstand you correct, but this F-4 gets extended slats, they are aftermarket from Paragon.