1/48 Grand Phoenix F3H Demon

This is my first short-run multimedia kit. It was a real bear, but it builds into a very impressive model. I added a few scratch-built details of my own. Paints are Testor's Model Master enamels & metalizers, and a bit of Floquil and Tamiya smoke here and there.

f3h_1.jpg

f3h_2.jpg

f3h_3.jpg

f3h_4.jpg

f3h_5.jpg

f3h_6.jpg

f3h_7.jpg

Edited by CrowTRobot
Incredible work!!! Love the finish you achieved on it. And your photo's really make it stand out even more, what type of camera and settings did you use?

Thank you. I used a Canon Digital Rebel camera. I manually adjusted the white balance and set it up for maximum depth-of-field exposures.

• 3 months later...
Looks fantastic!

I love the paint job. That front LG seem very delicate!

Thanks! The nose gear is quite fragile with all the fine resin linkages. I'm afraid to sneeze anywhere near it. It'll be interesting to see how HobbyBoss designs the nose gear on their upcoming Demon.

Very very nicely done Demon, never even realize VF-122 ever existed

Thanks! According to the Ginter book on the Demon:

"VF-122 started out life as the 'Minute Men' of reserve squadron VF-783. The squadron was called to active duty on 20 July 1950 and became VF-122 on 4 Feb. 1953. VF-122 was then decommissioned on 1 May 1958"

The squadron received its Demons in 1957. In July of that year the subject of my model (#137001) crash landed on the deck of the U.S.S. Ticonderoga (CVA-14). VF-122 departed for a WESTPAC cruise aboard CVA-14 inn September 1957. The squadron flew CAP sorties during the period of rising tensions between Nationalist and Red Chinese.