Revell F/A-18E 1/48

Hey everyone

So, I finished up my Lancer and decided to keep on moving. I had both a F-15E and F-14A in the stash to build, but decided that I want to build a Hornet. So, off to Michaels with a 40% off coupon. $10 later I had a an E (wish they had an F.) I don't know what decals I want to use yet, or a load out, but I've at least got it!

I've only done a little bit of work, start with the cockpit and tub. I'll just say sorry about the image size right now. My DSL was down this morning so I transferred the pics to my phone, which then "optimized" them, aka shrank them! As long as the DSL is up when I get off work, I upload the normal sized pics tonight.

Anyway, off we go.

IP

IMGP0022.jpg

IMGP00032-1.jpg

IMGP00022-3.jpg

IMGP0020.jpg

Edited by Brett M
Careful with those side panels on the fuselage...

The side panels inside the cockpit? I dry fitted earlier this evening and saw there were some "large" gaps :(

Added larger images to the first post.

The side panels inside the cockpit? I dry fitted earlier this evening and saw there were some "large" gaps :(

Sorry--the fuselage side panels along the engines. Lots of detail in that area, especially along the rear, to get messed up if you are sloppy with the glue.

I think that I've finished everything with the cockpit, unless any of you can see something I missed or need to change. Please shout out! Throttle installed, control stick installed, seat detail added.

IMGP0003-17.jpg

IMGP00032-2.jpg

IMGP0002-15.jpg

Looks good. Be careful and do lots of dry fitting before you attach the front fuselage. The Revell Kit is great, but its one "problem area" is the joint around the front of the cockpit where it joins the rest of the fuselage.

Good luck!

Have to agree with twhite, test fit the front well. I haven't done the 1/48 E, but am doing the 1/72. I didn't test fit quite enough and had to use some this plastic card to fix/clean up the front connection.

BTW, your work is looking great. ;)

The cockpit is looking really good, Brett ... :thumbsup:

Boy, no moss grows under your feet eh ? :tease:

Gregg

Gotta keep moving on! Thanks!

Couple more pics of the pit, seat out of the way. I used a clear metallic green for the smaller displays (black as the base) and then used a clear blue for the main screen. I kind of like the slightly different color.

IMGP00033.jpg

IMGP00022-4.jpg

IMGP0001-14.jpg

Dejavu! I remember when I was in those stages of building my Rhino! And for some reason, the way you painted the ejection seats, looks EXACTLY like what I did. Although I did change the cushion color and added seat belts. Great work on the cockpit panel ;)

Jason

Hi Brett,

any progress?

It seems that I really like your building style... :huh:

now it is time to bring to work that airbrush.

Regards,Laz from Hungary.

Not much new really. The weather has been perfect, so I've been outside a lot. I did however, begin work on the intakes......but after reading Jason's comment about intake plugs, I might just button them up and call it good with those!

Oh, and visit this site before you get any further...it helped me A LOT

Jason

Thanks for the link! A few things that I can change pretty easily on mine before I get to far ahead!

• 1 month later...
BUMP. :rolleyes:

Need some new pictures,Brett.

If you insist ;)

Sorry it's been so long since I've updated this thread. I stopped working on the Hornet and did a quick starship build, Polar Lights 1/1000 refit Enterprise.

Here's how the Hornet is sitting currently. I attached the nose last night actually, so that's good timing Tripio. Intakes are on, wing tips. Joining the upper and lower fuselage took a bit of work on LEX, as you can see in the pics.

IMGP0001-15.jpg

IMGP00012-2.jpg

IMGP0002-16.jpg

IMGP0003-18.jpg

IMGP00032-3.jpg

Hi Brett,

I like the intakes. :worship:

On the third picture,at the middle there is a shiny part on the fuselage.Is there a seem or is it just an optical delusion?

What markings will be placed onto the Hornet?

As I know you,you have a plan. :unsure:

Regards,Laz

Hi Brett,

I like the intakes. ;)

On the third picture,at the middle there is a shiny part on the fuselage.Is there a seem or is it just an optical delusion?

What markings will be placed onto the Hornet?

As I know you,you have a plan. :)

Regards,Laz

Hey Laz

Thanks for the comments. If I'm looking at the same spot you are, the shiny part is just where I had glued the nose on, that's right where it butts up against the lower fuselage.

For markings, I'm using Fightertowns Pukin' Dogs sheet, representing this jet:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v61/far1...hedogsout_1.jpg

Hopefully it'll turn out nicely!

Brett

Fancy cockpit work
Construction is looking solid! Your intakes look good as well. Keep it up.
Nice build so far!

Thanks everyone! I should be getting ahead a bit quicker now that the Enterprise is out of the way.