Washing woes

Guest rbfoley

Guest rbfoley

Tried a wash on a 1/48 F-84 wheel well last night......

I first painted the part the yellow primer it was supposed to be, then applied a coat of Future, then mixed up my wash using mineral spirits and oil paint.

I ended up with a horribly discolored mess. The wash doesn't seem to be popping out the detail, instead, it obscures them.

Input would be greatly appreciated.

Try using a sludge wash instead - much easier to work with. Use a small (BB sized dab) of acrylic paste, two drops of liquid dish soap and a couple table spoons of water, mix well and wash. Check "Weathering" on my site for more details.

Tried a wash on a 1/48 F-84 wheel well last night......

I first painted the part the yellow primer it was supposed to be, then applied a coat of Future, then mixed up my wash using mineral spirits and oil paint.

I ended up with a horribly discolored mess. The wash doesn't seem to be popping out the detail, instead, it obscures them.

Input would be greatly appreciated.

Do you have allowed enought time to the Future to cure? Probably you need to add another coat of Future also.

I use acrylic gloss but i think the process will be the same.

Cheers :D

Guest Collin

Switch to Model Master Metalizer Sealer... spray it and wait 15-30 minutes... you will be good to go with your wash. Been working great for me on three models so far... and I let my wash sit for 5 minutes or so.

Cheers