Just as a bit of a challenge to myself, and to see if I still have the "mad skills" I used to, I've decided to build my entire "Not Your Nation" Group Build entry - a Has. Ju-88A4 using only rattle cans...no airbrushing, no brushing by hand. Gonna take an awful lot of time and masking, but I've done it before. My question to you all:

How many people have gone start to finish on a kit using only spray paint?

I'm planning to use brushes for weathering once paint and decals are fully in place.

Anyone out there feel like stepping up to the challenge with me? :(

And if you're not up to it right now, and have done one in the past, got any pics to share?

Edited by B52HVet

All of mine are done with rattle cans. I own a Badger airbrush, but never use it. The F1 cars were done with Tamiya paints, the aircraft with MM paints. Other then a bit of detail/touch-up brush work, they were all done with rattle cans.

Minicraft 727 w/Seahawk One decals:

seahawk_004.jpg

Matchbox Heyford:

heyford_005-1.jpg

Roden He-111C:

post-8-1242967210.jpg

Hasegawa Ferrari 312T2:

post-5-1256589941.jpg

Tamiya Renault RE-30B:

post-5-1252817811.jpg

Edited by indydog
All of mine are done with rattle cans. I own a Badger airbrush, but never use it. The F1 cars were done with Tamiya paints, the aircraft with MM paints. Other then a bit of detail/touch-up brush work, they were all done with rattle cans.

Very Nice! I really like your Heyford and He-111, beautiful stuff!

I've done a few with rattle cans, most lately have been using the airbrush. Been fighting a mean case of insomnia lately, did a little messing around tonight/this morning with spray cans and masking tape on a 72nd Henschel HS-123 (just the lower wing tonight). It may be a little over the top, but I think it looks pretty good.

P6160017.jpg

P6160016.jpg

Edited by B52HVet

When you do the big Russian stuff, you have to use rattle cans.... :)

I use acrylic car sprays..... from a UK automotive accessories chain called Halfords.

An-22 - Halfords Ford Polar Grey and Appliance White....

an-22_53.jpg

Il-38 - Halfords Grey Plastic Primer....

il-38_59.jpg

Il-76 - Grey & White as An-22......

il-76_47.jpg

Myasishchev M-50 'Bounder'.........

Halfords Grey Plastic Primer and Appliance White....

m-50_025.jpg

Tu-4 & Tu-95MS 'Bear'.........

About seven cans of various silvers - Nissan Silver, Vauxhall Silver Ghost, Volkswagen Dark Silver etc etc....

tu-4_09.jpg

Tupolev Tu-160 'Blackjack'.... (White Swan)......

Appliance White.....

Photo_112.jpg

I have loads more...... I shoulda bought shares in Halfords..... :)

Ken

I have loads more...... I shoulda bought shares in Halfords..... :)

Ken

Beautiful work, Ken! That Bounder looks awesome! I've been trying to find a decent store locally for spray...nearly everything at the big box stores here is gloss, textured, or nearly $7 a can. I'll try to put a couple pics of some of my other rattle can birds later today. Thanks again for the pics, they look great!

Jay

I have been using Rattle cans for a while now as I don't have a dedicated modeling space to set up my compressor.

I do use the brush for cockpits, landing gear, props, etc.

53front.JPG

P2077422.JPG

P6216358.JPG

P-51C_3.jpg

P6216380.JPG

How many people have gone start to finish on a kit using only spray paint?

I find it impossible to do kits entirely with rattle cans because I can't find the right colors for the interior.

If I could source green zinc chromate, interior green, bronze green, FS 36231, and yellow zinc chromate in cans, I might try one.

Anybody know of a good source for those colors?

My mode at the moment is to use brushes for fine detail and weathering with pastels, using rattle cans for the rest of the finish. These were all painted with Tamiya cans. My airbrush went terminal years ago and I never got around to replacing it.

04.jpg

K5.jpg

T3.jpg

DSC04360.jpg

gold13.jpg