Hi everybody!

What would be the best option to build a Swiss Hawker Hunter (i.e. a Mk.58)?

As far as I know, Academy does (or did?) two Hunters in 1/48, a F6 an a FGA.9. Which would be the best starting point for a Mk.58? Are there any alternatives to the Academy kits? What would I need to change to get a Mk.58? Are there any conversion sets to aid in the process?

I already found the thread Swiss Hunter questions here on ARC, but it confuses me a bit. There's this statement

Swiss Hunters are actually Mk 6's but look like Mk 9's.

answered by this

The Mk.58 was, indeed, basically an F.6 with the brake chute of the F.6A and FGA.9.

I wonder if the addition of a brake chute qualifies as "looking like a Mk.9", but as I don't have the slightest idea what the differences are between a F.6 and a FGA.9, it might well be so.

Thanks in advance

frequent_flyer

Other than a different exhaust (I think) and semicircular cutouts in the flaps to provide clearance for drop tanks, I can't help you much with the differences between a Mk.6 and a Mk.9. I will say, however, that in 1/48 the Academy kit is your only real choice in injected plastic form There are old Nichimo and Lindberg kits, but these aren't really worth considering, IMHO. Unless you want a toy, that is. The Nichimo kits even comes with a rubber band operated ejection seat!

Here's some photos of the Nichimo kit:

NichimoHuntercockpit.jpg

NichimoHunterFwdFuse.jpg

This is the way it comes in the box (cool stand included):

NichimoHunterParts.jpg

The box art:

NichimoHunterArt.jpg

The F.Mk.58 was indeed an F.Mk.6 at heart. The main differences were the brake chute housing and the cut-outs in the flaps (both externally the same as on the FGA.Mk.9). The F.Mk.58A, a second-hand version, added the Avon 207 engine. As the FGA.Mk.9's main features were the engine, the brake chute, the flaps, the Academy kit is mostly there. However, the FGA.Mk.9 didn't have blast deflectors on the cannon muzzles, which the F.Mk.58 did; and to make sense of the flaps, you might also want some 230-gallon tanks (which were why the flaps were altered in the first place).

A later Swiss "Hunter 80" would require extensive changes in the cockpit, the link collectors and the outer wing armament. Your best bet there is to go for the Revell 1/32 kit, which is vastly better than any in 1/48 and a genuine bargain.

Thank you all for your replies, an FGA.9 it will be then. :(

I'm not sure if I can rack up the nerves for that conversion set though, looks like major surgery will be required.

Yes, this is my Aca Fga.9 with PJ conversion, not the best resin set i've seen but works, just a little tricky...

Hunter_Mk.58_04.jpg

• 1 year later...

Thank you all for your replies, an FGA.9 it will be then. :thumbsup:

I'm not sure if I can rack up the nerves for that conversion set though, looks like major surgery will be required.

Regards

frequent_flyer

If you are still contemplating this, and have not seen the Academy kit, look for sprue shots of the Academy kit, as the conversion is mostly a drop fit, replacing kits parts, and also correcting the too shallow cockpit. No major surgery required.

HTH

T