379th BG B-17s

I'm in search of some decals for a 1/72 B-17 from the 379th. I did a Google search but, either there aren't any made, or I didn't have the correct search combo. They carried the "Triangle K" on the tail.

Any help?

Thanks!

JS

P.S. How about the 384th BG? They were the "Triangle P".

Edited by ST0RM

I've never seen any decals from that BG.

There is a thread in the manufacturers forums for zotz decals. He's looking to do a set or 2 for B-17G's and a few guys are asking for ships that already been done. I suggested some of the restored warbirds to no avail. I would suggest to you looking up the 379th BG's website, go through there and see if there is anthing you'd like to see done in decals. Suggest it in that thread and supply as much info as you can, wait and see what happens.

Look through this thread:

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index....howtopic=206501

The 91st and 381st BGs were apparently the only B-17 units that flew in WWII, if you go by the decals that have ever been done....

J

Aint that the truth!

There was a guy in the zotz thread asking for decals for chow hound! I'm think'n "really"?! They've come in the monogram box for ever, I wanna see some stuff that never been done before, not a bunch of redo's. How bout 34th BG?

Ya know what I'd really love to see? Just a simple set of bomb group markings (eg. square K, triangle K etc) and squadron codes to match the BG markings. Serial numbers are easy enough to cobble together.

The 91st has been done (overdone) because of their proximity to London during the war. Station 121 was the closest heavy base to London and because of that, there's a lot of PR shots and other stuff available from which to draw. Not to mention that it was one of the original bomb groups sent to stir Hitler's soup and not to mention the impressive statistics the group amassed during the conflict. Personally, the 91st is my favorite and although there's been a lot of sheets done covering the aircraft of the group, many have been done incorrectly or have left out miscellaneous details. There's a whole group of aircraft that flew with the 91st that have never been done (a personal favorite is Wee-Willie from the 322nd BS LG*W, serial 42-31333). One of the groups original G's, she made it till April 9, 1945 when a direct flak hit tore off one of her wings. I've never seen a decal of that ship (other than one I made myself with my own two reasonably talented eyes, hands, Adobe Illustrator 10 and an ALPS MD1300 printer.) Those bright red tails, stabs and wingtips (added in July of 1944) are a natural draw and coupled with Tony Starcer's infamous artwork, it's a natural choice. I'd love to produce a set of decals with 5-6 of these unnkown heavies on it with complete markings for all. I realize the sheet would be huge (and multiples especially in 1/48 scale) but the never before seen aircraft might be an interesting build for those like me who fancy those red-***ed birds from Bassingbourn. As long as there's a B-17F or G model kit, I can find 91st decals to create for it. Ray Bowden's book, Plane Names and Fancy Noses is a veritable treasure trove of information on markings and nose art in the 91st. None better, hands down....

whoops, I hijacked the thread....I now return you to your regularly scheduled 379th thread.... :thumbsup:

Edited by timc
Ya know what I'd really love to see? Just a simple set of bomb group markings (eg. square K, triangle K etc) and squadron codes to match the BG markings. Serial numbers are easy enough to cobble together.

Have a word with the folks at kits-world.com...

posted on front page "We also welcome inquiries regarding future projects - if you have a favourite scheme or theme you think will have a broad appeal, please let us know and well see if it can be added to our future releases.

They have already done similar stuff

kitsworld-172006.jpg

Your example is really close. Just adding some additional white circles, plain white triangles and maybe even a white square, plus black letters and the 379th, 384th and 100th could be built.

Glad someone is listening.

-JS

Your example is really close. Just adding some additional white circles, plain white triangles and maybe even a white square, plus black letters and the 379th, 384th and 100th could be built.

Glad someone is listening.

-JS

kitsworld-172005.jpg

kitsworld-172012.jpg

check them out at

Link

Mark,

Here is my interest in the 379th. They are currently the AEW at Al Udeid AB in Qatar which we fall under when we deploy to the Middle East. They've got B-1s, C-130s, KC-135s, C-21s, RC-135 and E-8s all chopped to them. Maybe a heritage sheet?

I'd prefer a combo of BGs as I mentioned above, but yes, I'd more than likely purchase the sheet if the modern subject would also be of use.

-Jeff

Edited by ST0RM

Damn, just went through they're site, all the sheets for the codes, BG markings etc are only listed for braile scale. Tried clicking the link for email and contact us, all those did was refresh the page.

Edited by B-17 guy

And yet their P-61 sheet is only offered in 1/48, and duplicates schemes already available on other aftermarket decal sheets. I suppose I'm re-hijacking the thread, but when is somebody going to offer some new decals for the Black Widow in 1/72?!?!?!? The Dragon kits have been in production for nearly 20 years, but the only decals out there are a couple of ancient SuperScale sheets.

SN

• 3 months later...
Aint that the truth!

There was a guy in the zotz thread asking for decals for chow hound! I'm think'n "really"?! They've come in the monogram box for ever, I wanna see some stuff that never been done before, not a bunch of redo's. How bout 34th BG?

I requested "Chow Hound" because the kit decals are useless. Its not the end of my world if they aren't produced, but there is room for more than one bomber on a decal sheet.

Aaron

And yet their P-61 sheet is only offered in 1/48,

OK..I'll eat my words now. The P-61 sheet is now also available in 1/72. I'm definitely gonna be getting a few of these sheets..I'd like to do "A Bit O' Lace" once the new Revell AG B-17 is available.

SN

When the book Queen of the Midnight Sky came out in the mid 90s, around the same time DML did their 1/72 P-61A and B I had hopes for aftermarket decals for the Black Widow that did more than just repeat the Moonhappy from the the Pacific (kinda like 91 BG B-17s I guess), especially some of the ETO schemes. Nothing came of this however, when Zotz finally did P-61s a couple of years ago, they only did 1/48. DML has re-released the P-61 and KitsWorld did a 1/72 sheet, but only one is from the ETO.