Sealing cracks w/ CA glue

Well! So nice to be back here after spending the last week and a half in bed with the flu. Oooohhhh, makes me mad ;) I hate the flu.

Got a seam that I filled, but somehow it developed a hairline crack. Anyway, here's my questions...

1. Should I try and pull the crack apart a little and drop the glue in the crack, or should I just drop it right on top of the seam and then sand it down?

2. Will CA glue mar the surface of the plastic?

3. Do I need adjust the drying time of the CA glue if I plan to sand it (let it dry longer, don't let it get quite set, that sort of thing)?

4. And finally, what grit sandpaper should I use to sand the CA glue?

This is my first time using CA to fill a seam, so please excuse the stupid questions :angry:

just apply a coat of thin CA on the crack, wait for a minute, sand with 500-600 grit. try sanding with higher grades for a glossy surface.

also experiment this on a useless piece of plastic, you will see how easy it is.

btw, CA does not melt kit plastics, however, keep it away form clear parts.

hth.

gokhan

Hmm CA to fill gaps and then sand it? Isn't CA harder than styrene? I would think you would have long sanded away and fine details before you managed to smooth out the CA. You could do the old filler with nail polish remover trick. It's in earlier postings. What I would do is put a little Mr. Surfacer 500 in there and then smooth it over with a Q-tip of nail polish remover. Sanding time 0:00 min.