Desert Storm GB coming up soon!

Thanks for this. Unfortunately most of the sheets are out of production :lol: I have the Superscale 885 sheet, which features a VF-41 Tomcat but from 1994 so I don't think the markings are appropriate unfortunately. Any ideas anyone?

Thanks,

Arnaud

Edited by arnobiz
Thanks for this. Unfortunately most of the sheets are out of production :lol: I have the Superscale 885 sheet, which features a VF-41 Tomcat but from 1994 so I don't think the markings are appropriate unfortunately. Any ideas anyone?

Thanks,

Arnaud

There's this sheet on eBay: Clickez moi, which has a few Desert Shield navy birds on it.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm in for an autographed copy of Birds Of Prey. Someone will have to inform me where to send it once the winner is selected.

Cheers,

Dave

Cheers Dave, that's a great offer! :cheers: We'll let you know once the GB has ended.

I can't help it. I'm starting early.

I applaude your enthousiasm, but there will be a x% done limit on builds in the GB, probably around 30% or so. So make sure you don't build too fast, or, like Benner said, wait another 13 days :)

What will you build, btw?

I applaude your enthousiasm, but there will be a x% done limit on builds in the GB, probably around 30% or so. So make sure you don't build too fast, or, like Benner said, wait another 13 days :)

What will you build, btw?

I got a 1/144 Puma helicopter a week ago that accidentally fits this group build and I hate letting new kits sit untouched. But I've only glued one kit part to another kit part so far - mostly I've been scratchbuilding the engines and transmission which don't exist in the kit. I won't have more than that done by August.

In my last group build, the decals took 2/3rds of the time I spent on the model, so 30% is just before putting on the decals, right? :D

I got a 1/144 Puma helicopter a week ago that accidentally fits this group build and I hate letting new kits sit untouched. But I've only glued one kit part to another kit part so far - mostly I've been scratchbuilding the engines and transmission which don't exist in the kit. I won't have more than that done by August.

In my last group build, the decals took 2/3rds of the time I spent on the model, so 30% is just before putting on the decals, right? :wave:

Puma eh? nice choice, don't see many builds of those. Brit or French one? I think French Pumas looked cooler :thumbsup:

Puma eh? nice choice, don't see many builds of those. Brit or French one? I think French Pumas looked cooler :cheers:

The Revell kit comes with decals for a pink Operation Granby Puma and the later British two-color scheme. No French decals. French markings seem underrepresented in modeling.

Cool, Count me in. How about a Hasegawa 1/48 F-14A with FTD Desert Storm Nose Art decals, just need to decide which decal option, got to have nose art though.

Dang, I may have to switch gears, none of the 3 1/48 Hasegawa Tomcats have the correct gun gas vents for either of the markings options on the Fightertown Desert Storm Nose Art decal sheet. I may decide on a CAF Desert Cats Hornet instead, did we have 2 seaters over there?

I will try to participate with Academy 1:72 OV-10D Bronco with CMK 7029 OV-10D Bronco conversion set and 7030 Bronco control surfaces sets.

As you know me, I was not able to finish a kit from 2001, BUT I WILL TRY !!! :thumbsup:

Your Gulf war nut, Jakub

Ah yes, I remember that night like it was yesterday. Working the night shift in a portable hangar near the flight line on Riyadh AB. The Smokey Joes (KC-135A's) started rolling in a mass cell takeoff (seemed like one took off every 30 seconds for the rest of the shift), the smoke got so bad in our hangar that we had to suspend operations until the wind changed direction. After a short while, the air raid sirens went off and we started getting our first scud attacks. We went outside to watch the scud attacks, we didn't feel safe in the bunkers we made ourselves. The patriots looked and sounded like F-16's at full AB when they launched at night, could hear the sonic boom pops when they passed through the sound barrier (or maybe it was just the noise of the tubes popping upon launch). A couple of hours later a Tornado came back and landed long at our base (the base was blacked out and he couldn't see very well, all we saw was his landing light coming in like a patriot missle gone awry, seen many of those!), he went off the end of the runway knocking a pole down with his wing, we donated some of our runway matting floor to help tow him out of the sand, he later took off without repairing and went back to his base, tough little fighter. Too date, nothing has been noisier than a full up missile attack (a B-1 getting busy puts up a good fight) with incoming scuds and patriots, all hell breaks loose for a few seconds, then the silence, then you wait for the booms, yeehaw! I still work in the middle east supporting the war effort, gotta love the US military war machine!

This GB brings back fond memories of people dedicated to a massive effort , I will donate a $200 gift certificate from Spruebrothers (my favorite online store) as a prize. Organizers, please send me name and email address of gift certificate recipient.

Hey bashace,

Thanks for the nice little peek back in time. It's great to hear these personal stories from (already!) 20 years ago. Also, many thanks for offering the Spruebrothers gift certificate. It's a great offer, and I'm sure the winner will be very happy with it once the GB ends. :rolleyes: