Desert Storm GB coming up soon!

Going to throw my hat in the ring with a Monogram 1/72 scale EF-111A. The kit decals come with markings for 660051 but I'm told 660015 flew in DS so that should be an easy fix.

That's great, but please see my reply here :wave:

Wow bashace, that is very nice of you.

Thanks for telling about your experiences over there. One reason this GB is starting August 2nd is that the mods are having a historical aspect included (aside from the models).

**if anyone saw my typo, that was because of the autocorrection on this iTouch I am using, my apologies :whistle:

Edited by Benner

Thanks folks. Don't have any info pertaining to specific aircraft (don't remember if the Tornado was RAF or RSAF). Do remember the J-STARS flying out of there, in lizard camo and no markings (think it was for test and evaluation by Raytheon).

Jakub,

Thanks for your Desert Storm link. Will be very handy.

I have decided to do 'Cat ****** Fever' using Fightertowns decals. I think I may also get an Italeri Tomcat to see how the kit builds, as there is a build thread elsewhere on ARC and it looks like a decent kit. It will save me using part of my Hase mountain!!

SA_art_040909_6m.jpg

If there is anyone who has built the Italeri kit do you have any suggestions as to which one I should get.

Steve

I think I will go ahead and commit to this GB. Gonna go a different route though, I was an artilleryman in DS so I will build a 1/35 M109 155mm Howitzer and finish an M110 203mm howitzer that is only just started. We destroyed a lot of planes, tanks and automobiles. :)

Chris

I think I will go ahead and commit to this GB. Gonna go a different route though, I was an artilleryman in DS so I will build a 1/35 M109 155mm Howitzer and finish an M110 203mm howitzer that is only just started. We destroyed a lot of planes, tanks and automobiles. B)

Chris

Cool, I was hoping some people would do other stuff than planes for this GB. Looking forward to your big guns. I myself might build a Chapparal or the very nice Trumpeter M198 155mm towed howitzer. But I need to find out if the version I have was used.

Not sure if this qualifies or not: I have the Hobby Boss LAV-150 Commando AFV w/Cockerill 90mm Gun. I don't even know what country uses/used this.

Saudi Arabia used this vehicle and it was active in the war. I don't know if any were fitted with that particular gun.

I'm in for a Scud launcher. Got a question though, what was the weathering like on these? I'd imagine the occasional sand storms would rough up the paint, but since Saddam seemed pretty strict on everything, would the crew members do crazy maintenance on these?

Building it OOB. I've seen the eduard sets, but the kit detail seems pretty nice.

John

I'm in for a Scud launcher. Got a question though, what was the weathering like on these? I'd imagine the occasional sand storms would rough up the paint, but since Saddam seemed pretty strict on everything, would the crew members do crazy maintenance on these?

Building it OOB. I've seen the eduard sets, but the kit detail seems pretty nice.

John

Nice, a target! Gonna roll in hot on that launcher. :blink:

John

Missiles were probably covered up/cleaner than rest of vehicle. I'd probably weather as if I was weathering a regular tank or something. I'm sure driving across desert/rocks, through sandstorms would have given the paint a sandblasted appearance.

Especially if they were out on the move alot - trying to dodge Ryan's attacks above :blink:

Edited by AnthonyWan

Not sure if this qualifies or not: I have the Hobby Boss LAV-150 Commando AFV w/Cockerill 90mm Gun. I don't even know what country uses/used this.

Saudi Arabia used this vehicle and it was active in the war. I don't know if any were fitted with that particular gun.

Now I'm pretty sure that Saudi Arabia did have 90mm armed LAV-150s in the Gulf War. It should be an easy build - overall light tan, little weathering, and no visible markings. I don't know if Saudi vehicles had the chevrons that most allied ground vehicles had at the time. They were particularly active in the first ground fight of the war, the Battle of Khafji.

Here is what the Saudi LAV-150's look like in the middle 2000's. The one closest to the camera has the 90mm gun, although ones with 20mm guns or machine guns are more common.

saudilav150.jpg

would an F/A-18C that flew in OIF count? seeing the end date I may get rnd to building the one I have in the stash so, if it is acceptable, I will put my name down and see.....

would an F/A-18C that flew in OIF count? seeing the end date I may get rnd to building the one I have in the stash so, if it is acceptable, I will put my name down and see.....

the GB is meant to cover subjects from the 1990 / 1991 Gulf War; so no, a Hornet from OIF does not count. There were plenty of participating F/A-18C squadrons you can pick though if you want to participate still.

Missiles were probably covered up/cleaner than rest of vehicle. I'd probably weather as if I was weathering a regular tank or something. I'm sure driving across desert/rocks, through sandstorms would have given the paint a sandblasted appearance.

Especially if they were out on the move alot - trying to dodge Ryan's attacks above :P

Good chance to try out that salt painting deal. I'll get it pretty dusty and dirty but probably no rust or anything. maybe some fuel spills.

Ryan cannot find my launchers. We have adapted the alien technology from the Predators depicted in the movies by the vile Yankees. We will be victorious.

Mohammed-Saeed-al-Sahaf_iraqi-information-propaganda-minister.jpg

(I loved this guy)

John

John

Vehicles I remember seeing usually had paint intact and faded but a lot of rust on panel seams and wheel well edges. Of course, most of the enemy vehicles I saw were in small, burnt peices or blackened with large holes in them. 203mm doesn't leave much. :P

I have a Scud launcher as well but I think I'll leave that to you as I plan a later build with a cluster bomb opening up above it. :D

Edited by kg4kpg
do the arab coalition air forces count, or just Afs that saw combat?

(if we use jakubs site as a guide, i can do an omani jaguar :monkeydance: )

Me and fellow mod Benner had a long discussion (2 minutes) about it, and we agreed. :rolleyes: As long as it was part of the total war effort, it qualifies. So an Omani Jaguar is allowed. This also goes for things like the RAF Phantoms being deployed to Cyprus, Italian Starfighters, Belgian Mirages and German Luftwaffes being deployed to Turkey etc.

Edited by Pete
Me and fellow mod Benner had a long discussion (2 minutes) about it, and we agreed. :monkeydance: As long as it was part of the total war effort, it qualifies. So an Omani Jaguar is allowed.

... before any chat room regular suggests it, NO, I will not build Omani, German air force, NATO reaction force, etc. stuff in my own DS collection. :rolleyes:

Edited by Benner
... before any chat room regular suggests it, NO, I will not build Omani, German air force, NATO reaction force, etc. stuff in my own DS collection. :monkeydance:

But you will build an Alpha Jet, right?