Hi there,

I'd like to spray Klir with my airbrush and I have 2 questions:

- Do you need to thin Future with water (1/2) ?

- How do I clean my AB with tap water or with ammonia (diluted ?) ?

Thanks

One final note: Thinning with an ammonia containing product may (depending on concentration) alter the way the Future polymerizes. This may affect adhesion and will almost certainly increase the chance of yellowing over time. Thinning with 90% isopropyl alcohol works, but is rarely, if ever needed.

Cleaning, as already mentioned, with any cleaner containing ammonia will work even when Future is fully cured. But I second (third, fourth, fifth??) the admonition to clean promptly. I once did not, forgot until the next day (only excuse was illness)—what a bear of a puppy mother! (Forgive the mixed metaphor, I rather like it… :cheers: )

You don't need to thin Future. The only time I thinned it was to get a super-glossy coat. Rodney Williams did a gloss finish for an F-18 done up in Blue Angels livery. He did a mix of Future(1 part) to Denatured Alcohol(2 Parts). Before doing this yourself, read Rodney's post in the ARC Gallery. Go to Jet Aircraft and then to F-18. His is on page 2 of 7 pages of F-18 models on the ARC Gallery.

I'm sorry, but I forgot about the cleaning. I run window cleaner with ammonia. Do it right away, because dried Future in an airbrush spells disaster. If you get some dried on, you can usually get it off with lacquer thinner.

Edited by balls47

quick follow on - have seen mention of "WINDOLENE" for cleaning (if you are in the UK)... now the product I have in the cupboard is a pink cream - is that the same thing or do I need to visit ASDA (Walmart) for something different?

cheers

I hate to be the Luddite here... but is there anyone else that does like me and simply brushes on the Future? I've never used an airbrush for it. I find that Future self-levels and the finish looks great, using a large soft paint brush. They are super easy to clean; I use hot water right away on the brush and it comes out easily.

ALF

I hate to be the Luddite here... but is there anyone else that does like me and simply brushes on the Future? I've never used an airbrush for it. I find that Future self-levels and the finish looks great, using a large soft paint brush. They are super easy to clean; I use hot water right away on the brush and it comes out easily.

ALF

Lots of folks do that, though they are in a minority, I think. I've even done it myself when it's very hot and dry, or even very hot and humid, and certainly for touch up. And, of course, I use it as a decal setting solution, which necessitates applying it with a brush. The wonderful thing about Future is how versatile and forgiving it is.

ALF

I sprayed future the first time I used it. Then I tried a brush and just said yeah screw the airbrush this is for me. (brushing) It is so quick and simple, I get great results and clean up so very easy. Whats not to like?