F-104 with TWO ENGINES (what if) scale 1/48

Nice progress ... I really like the concept on this one ...

That is really really cool... It has that science fiction look about it. I hope you don't lose interest in it. I'd love to see it when finished.

Alex

You're right, it sort of looks like it might be from a Gerry Anderson show: Thunderbirds, UFO, Captain Scarlett, etc ...

Gregg

it sort of looks like it might be from a Gerry Anderson show: Thunderbirds, UFO, Captain Scarlett, etc ...

Gregg

The model is looking increasingly to a simplified SR-71

That is really really cool... It has that science fiction look about it. I hope you don't lose interest in it. I'd love to see it when finished.

Alex

to avoid of losing interest on the model I'm working on different models simultaneously.

When a model tires me I start to work on another: yesterday I worked at the same time all three models I am trying to finish so there is no dead time.

I was undecided about where to put the air intakes.

I liked the idea of placing them above the wing in the area that could be seen but at the end I made the choice , to apply the air intakes under the wings.

As a basis for the operation I used the two pieces of halves from the donor kit, the F-104 Monogram.

f104-2010-4271.JPG

Adapting at the my fairing the Monogram shell took a little of plastic surgery.

f104-2010-4274.JPG

f104-2010-4275.JPG

This is the result.

f104-2010-4278.JPG

Now I have to smooth the connection of the two pieces but the hardest part is done.

Another problem:

f104-2010-4281_cr1.jpg

From the engine exhaust can be seen inside the engine compartment and wing ...

With another piece taken from the donor model Monogram F-104 f104-2010-4283.JPG

I solved the problem:

f104-2010-4285cr.jpg

I'm not happy with the result but the space between the engine nozzle and the wing does not allow too much freedom.

I like the head on photo ...looks real COOL !!

Nice work.keep it up... :banana:

I'm really proud to see someone that appreciate the my work!

NEWS:

After I gave the primer to the my model, now I can see a little more clearly the shape:

f104-2010-4289.JPG

f104-2010-4291.JPG

f104-2010-4292.JPG

Photto of today AUGUST 15 : all the three beasts aligned.

trio-modelli-15agosto-4311.jpg

Edited by G_Marcat_Italy
  • 2 weeks later...

Spent the last two afternoons scribing the F-104 surfaces.

These are the upper surfaces:

f104-2010-4315.JPG

I'm gone down very strong with the fantasy adding various panel lines and a lot of inspections panels.

This is because probably I will paint the model with a gray/light gray overall finish and the my purpose of to add at it an effective 3D effect.

• 5 weeks later...

Has come the moment of to paint the F-104 Delta.

After the experiment with the pre-shading done on the Single Emgine Phantom I have decided of to develope this tecnique.

How the kit come out after the application of the pre-shading look promising at the my eyes: I have always hated it before but come always the time of to change idea.

This is the F-104 Delta now after a long session of pre-shading:

f104-2010-4396.JPG

f104-2010-4400.JPG

f104-2010-4399.JPG

Being unsure of the terminology, and for want of a better term....What is the chord on the LERX's ( if you are calling them that), this looks like something that very will could have been developed in the late 50's to early 60's. The real and original Skunkworks had a lot of projects that never were announced or saw the light of day.

This build is SO FRIGGIN COOL! I'm searching for the words, but really, this one is just cool. Very unique concept, AWESOME building/scratch building/kit bashing. Very high-speed-low-drag!

CAN'T WAIT to see more.

Cheers

Mark.

Dear sirs, the futuristic look of the my F-104 is not a my idea: as said in the first message on this thread, the my F-104 Delta have could be the Taiwan current front line fighter.

This is a little drawing found in internet that explain the developement of concepts based on the F-104:

designs_based_on_F-104s.jpg

The my F-104 should be that named XX-301/XX-201

Update:

Two days ago I was unsatisfied from how the my F-104 look after the first layers of gray. The upper surfaces were too much monotone: I was looking for more.

So taken the airbrush and sprayed a lot of white spots on the fuselage, wings and vertical rudder.

This is the work done.

f104-delta-4412.JPG

A DISASTER???

This is an image that compare how the F-104 look BEFORE and AFETR the white spot application:

f104-delta-4413-2.jpg

I was a little disappointed after have sprayed the white spots because I have the fear of to have exagerated...

Today sprayed another highly diluted layer of gray and this is the result:

f104-delta-22set10-4423.JPG

f104-delta-22set10-4419.JPG

Now the my F-104 Delta begin to look as I was interested to have it because I was looking to replicate the heavy weathered finish of the US NAVY jets.

It have on it three shades of grays now: the regular gray, the dark gray of the pre shaded areas (panel lines) and now there are some zones in light gray.

I think to spray another hand of gray, this should be sufficient to reach the my goal.

• 1 year later...

In this period I feel the need of to complete the old kits abandoned.

The F-104 Delta Two Engimes was ready for the decals. BUT...

I was unable to close the eyes and to ignore the difference of form of the two wing strakes.

f104-bimotore-difetti-1796.JPG

f104-bimotore-difetti-1797.JPG

I will try to correct the difference of lenght of the two strakes, the challenge is of to do this surgery without to destroy the complete paintwork applied in the past.

This build got me thinking what about a star viper f-104 body with f-16 wings and the falcons powerplant

I have done a whatif that could be near what you think:

look this:

f16_104finito3350.jpg

it's a 1/48 F-16 wing and fuselage mated with the front end from a F-104 and an enlarged F-104 style tail.

:jaw-dropping: that star viper is awsome man wish I had the skill to do that I think an A-4 with f-16 wings would be sweet

P.S. I like your f-4/f-15 project

Aboutt the A-4 the my idea is of to built a twin engine A-4.

But I wish more:

the my A-4 will have all the dimensions enlarged/INFLATED as was done on the real F-18 Hornet when it was PUMPED UP to become the F-18E Super Hornet.

Dimensionally speaking, the my A-4 when completed should to be big as a Phantom 1/48.

I'm doing some drawings to see how is more simple to do this conversion.

• 1 month later...

This afternoon I remembered of to have another project on hold, this F-104 Twin Engine.

So, many days after the application I sanded away the Tamiya Two Part Putty.

f104-delta-bimotore-2012-1949.JPG

f104-delta-bimotore-2012-1950.JPG

Now there is a little amount of fine work to do to smooth all then I will respray the loose paint.

Edited by G_Marcat_Italy