As faab104 suggested I'll run the other 2 72nd CF104s in another thread, this one;

So we have seen the surgery I did to the kit seat to be able to add some more detail;

CF104seatbits.jpg

and that lead to this

CF104seatls.jpg

the nearly completed seat but I am not happy with it,

the rails on the back are too short because I developed a better way to add them,

so this seat is a prototype and will go in my 'Green Machine', here ready to paint,

CF104grn.jpg

this a shot of the seat on an Xtra Colour tin so you can see the size, a little out of focus but the size is easy to see

Protoseat-2.jpg

In this image you can see my changes; the butt kicker strap, the one down the middle of the back of the seat is too wide on the first seat; the one on the right

CF104seats.jpg

And here it is completed;

Protoseat-1.jpgProtoseat.jpg

So now to finish up the cockpits and I can start glueing the fuselages together.

• 4 weeks later...

OK, the humidity is down so I managed some more progress;

here's a shot of the revised straps on the seats;

newseats.jpg

I made the seat pack straps and butt kicker narrower so they look better.

Cockpit sidewalls are painted and did some dry brushing on the side panels, pics on the weekend.

OK, the humidity is down so I managed some more progress;

here's a shot of the revised straps on the seats;

newseats.jpg

I made the seat pack straps and butt kicker narrower so they look better.

Cockpit sidewalls are painted and did some dry brushing on the side panels, pics on the weekend.

what are those straps made from.....thes eat is looking very good ...

Are you ready for this..................paper!!

I was looking at a photo of the cockpit that I printed from my computer and noticed the straps are a whitish colour and the blank space at the bottom of the page called out to me and said white like this area???? I use a white glue from Testors (IIRC??) to stick the paper to paper and to plastic, and will include a pic of the bottle in the next photo up-date.

Thanks for the comments guys.

More progress; one of the two new seats is done and ready to install

104seat.jpg

I have installed the ejection rocket, it has since been painted,

reworked the handle (this is seat 3) beside the headrest ( it's hard to see) because I accidentally cut it off when trying to give some separation from the headrest, doh!!!

104seat2.jpg

I also added the night map reading light to the cockpit, it's the black tube with curly wiring on the left rear side,

104pitandlite.jpg

and here is the fuse and interior pretty well ready to be joined, the map light is the tube above the orange stick

104pitandfuse.jpg

I need some help here ALF, the seat pack lanyard is attached to our life vest, but when one exits the jet it is strapped to one of the cockpit sills? Did I remember that right?? Thanks

I need some help here ALF, the seat pack lanyard is attached to our life vest, but when one exits the jet it is strapped to one of the cockpit sills? Did I remember that right?? Thanks

The seat pack lanyard originates inside the seat pack, and is intended to hook up to the pilot.

When not strapped in, the seat pack lanyard is attached somewhere to the cockpit. I can't remember where it snaps in place in the 104; I only strapped into one three times, and that was many moons ago.

When strapped in, the lanyard hooks up to the Mae West as you said. It doesn't hook up anywhere in the cockpit when the pilot is strapped in; there is no connection to the cockpit at that point.

After seat/man separation, the pilot and seat pack tumble out, hooked together by two clips at the thighs. When the pilot wants to deploy the seat pack, he pulls on the release by one thigh, which then drops the bottom part of the seat pack (seat pack contents) down. It dangles well below him, held in place with the maritime lanyard (seat pack lanyard), and the top shell of the seat pack remains attached to the pilot's bottom by the two clips.

You may be thinking about the transponder bail-out tone strap - it is attached to the cockpit bottom, and when the seat leaves the aircraft it is pulled to where the transponder emits the ejection tone (at least until the aircraft hits the ground).

Hope I answered the question. And you're doing a great job for this scale!

ALF

Thanks Buddy.

If you go to the walkarounds section and scroll down the jet section to the CF-104 with cockpit pics then in there the last pic in the first section marked 'right console' the seat pack/maritime lanyard is the yellow cord strapped to the cockpit sill? I want to busy up the 'pit but don't want to try and scratch build a chute (I'm basically lazy) so anything else that gets left behind when the pilot heads for the bar, errr I mean debrief, would help. Thanks

Thanks Buddy.

If you go to the walkarounds section and scroll down the jet section to the CF-104 with cockpit pics then in there the last pic in the first section marked 'right console' the seat pack/maritime lanyard is the yellow cord strapped to the cockpit sill? I want to busy up the 'pit but don't want to try and scratch build a chute (I'm basically lazy) so anything else that gets left behind when the pilot heads for the bar, errr I mean debrief, would help. Thanks

You got it! Parachutes were only left in the aircraft when on cross-country away trips; at home, the chutes were kept on pegs in the squadron building (just like Moose Jaw).

ALF

I fought the Carpet Monster and I won!!!!

If you scroll up a bit and find the cockpit shot with the map reading light installed, well it snapped off and into the maw of the Monster! I got on hands and knees and couldn't spot it. Then I remembered the new little dust buster (small vac) and how it has a foam pad as a filter. A few swipes across the monster and I got it back, a little worse for wear but usable in the 'pit. Some progress pics and some stable mates up loaded tomorrow.

As promised here are some Red and Stripey's stable mates;

stablemates.jpg

Now remember as I mentioned in another thread here I have been building for many years!! More than I can count on my fingers and toes!! These kits are Matchbox and Heller.

stablematenam.jpg

A converted (from G to C) Matchbox single seater, in Nam camo.

stablematenasa.jpg

The other Matchbox single as a NASA bird.

stablematecomp.jpg

The first Heller dual a Lockheed Company demo bird.

stablemate439.jpg

The second Heller dual, done up as a 439 Sqn bird.

I built these back in the days when the experts said the Matchbox kit was the better of the bunch and the Heller kit was the only available dual on the market! There are 3 others; but the other green CF-104 suffered a major nose gear failure on landing and is in maintenance, the silver CF-104 also out of action and Stripey #1 suffered an A cat landing accident and is written off, gear badly damaged so it may become a pole mounted bird!?

More updates on the two current builds tonite.

• 2 weeks later...

Haven't done too much lately been working on the intake seams which are kinda ugly on the 72nd version, decided this time to leave the ugly gap on the bottom side and make the top as clean as possible. Got the horizontal stab cleaned up may paint that soon and stick it on later, and cleaning up the wings. I found my RT mag with the article for the '69 Tiger but can't find the set of decals from the Esci kit to use on my bird!!! I know exactly what they are packed in but put it in safe place........