1/48 ELEGANT PHANTOM (Whatif 1/48)

The my brain has developed another What If model.

The subject on which I will work is the Phantom.

Scale is 1/48.

I called this project "ELEGANT PHANTOM" because the F-4 around the world has taken the nickname of RHINO thank to the his brutal look.

If my imagination is working well, the name RHINO should no longer be applicable to my PHANTOM.

This is a preliminary design of how I'm going to change the look of the PHANTOM:

Phantom-Elegant-preview-triplo.JPG

Looking at my preparatory drawing seems to me to see my ghost might look similar (at very distant) to the F-14 Tomcat.

Overall, I thought well if the model should have a shape very very "wavy"

Technically, the only hard work should be to relocate up the wings from the their normal lower position.

But I have done this with another my Phantom whatif and I know where to put the hands. If all goes well there should be no problems.

I made three different designs to see how the model get better but also because I have several kits of Phantom stock: at this time I'm trying to see which model I can start.

The first kit chosen as the basis for Elegant Phantom was the F-4G Wild Weasel 1/48 from Testors.

elegant-phantom-4093.JPG

Just opened the box and picked up the pieces I realized that the choice was wrong.

Testors kit is molded with a plastic that appears to be mixed with the rubber.

The photos that I enclose show the demential level of flexibility that has the plastic from Testors.

elegant-phantom-4111.JPG

elegant-phantom-4110.JPG

Yesterday worked on two zones of the Phantom:

The air intakes are full of sink marks but they are assembled now.

elegant-phantom-4117_cr_cr.jpg

elegant-phantom-4119.JPG

The wings have been assembled, the winglets canted upward have been straightened and the vanes for the main undercarriage in the lower part of the wings have been closed with plasticard.

elegant-phantom-4121.JPG

elegant-phantom-4121-1.jpg

I like it when you have brain storms...you always come up with Fabulous "WHAT IFFS "...

I am going to enjoy this build of yours of the " ELEGANT PHANTOM" {Love PHANTOMS !!} :thumbsup::stupid:

Good start already....

I know it will be MAGNIFIQUE. :yahoo:

{I love the drawings of the concept PHANTOMS !}

HOLMES

I know it will be MAGNIFIQUE. :wub:

{I love the drawings of the concept PHANTOMS !} [/size] [/font]

HOLMES

I hope the Elegant Phantom will be phisically something of interesting. The my drawings show only a concept but think the result will be good.

Other images of works done today;

The problem was: how to obtain two vertical empennages from the single empennage of the Esci's Phantom?

Simply cutting away the original tail pieces....

elegant-phantom-4124.JPG

elegant-phantom-4125.JPG

On the two half empennages glued a sheet of plasticard on the blind side then shaped the sheet on the corners and scribed the added surfaces.

ET, volà: two empennages from one piece:

elegant-phantom-4127.JPG

elegant-phantom-4126.JPG

elegant-phantom-4128.JPG

New for today:

Assembled the main fuselage: it's the 1/48 Academy's F-15C/D kit:

elegant-phantom-4129.JPG

And separated the two wings from the assembly presdent in the F-4 from ESCI:

elegant-phantom-4131.JPG

elegant-phantom-4132.JPG

Plus prepared the two Phantom's horiz. tailplanes for the installation on the F-15's fuselage.

That is crazy ... but that idea good. Congratulations.

Thank You for the support.

Here is the work done this afternoon:

Applied the Phantom's wings to the new F-15's fuselage:

elegant-phantom-4133.JPG

And... all the flying surfaces are now glued in place:

elegant-phantom-4135.JPG

elegant-phantom-4138.JPG

elegant-phantom-4136.JPG

Now I must to start the second part of the surgery and to glue the front fuselage of the Phantom on the F-15's core.

Edited by G_Marcat_Italy

Another little step forward to complete the Elegant Phantom has been done: today completely assembled the Phantom's nose.

elegant-phantom-4140.JPG

Now the more dangerous part of the conversion: to adapt the F-4 nose at the F-15's fuselage.

I hope of to glue straight and inline the two pieces this time.

Traditionally I tend to misalign the two parts.

Today glued the Phantom nose to the F-15 fuselage:

Looking at my preliminary design found a point of contact judging also from the size of the two pieces.

elegant-phantom-4145.JPG

elegant-phantom-4146.JPG

elegant-phantom-4148.JPG

The cutting phase has passed away quickly and without problems. After this I glued the two parts:

elegant-phantom-4149.JPG

elegant-phantom-4150.JPG

On top of the fuselage (in the point of contact of the two parts) has formed a very bad step. With super glue and a piece of plasticard I corrected this step.

The result is not as good as I wanted it but the step is near the zone of the air brake and I wish not to damage that area.

elegant-phantom-4152_cr.jpg

Now I have to fix the area in the belly where there is the point of contact and to glue on the air intakes.

This is one of the coolest "What-If" projects I have ever seen. If you ever enter this into a contest, you are going to give judges a headach just trying to figure out what it is!

I'll be following this one. What markings are you going to use?

Stew

This is one of the coolest "What-If" projects I have ever seen. If you ever enter this into a contest, you are going to give judges a headach just trying to figure out what it is!

I'll be following this one. What markings are you going to use?

Stew

Markings?

Not yet decided at the moment.

After the bad experience with the Phantom Single Engine, ( LOOK HERE )now, before painting a model I must be sure not to make a wrong choice.

• 3 weeks later...

Whoa, that is looking really good .... :rolleyes:

Nice work ... It almost looks like it could have been a McDonnell design study after the Phantom but before the Eagle ...

Gregg

Whoa, that is looking really good .... :rolleyes:

Nice work ... It almost looks like it could have been a McDonnell design study after the Phantom but before the Eagle ...

Gregg

Looking at the model from above it resembles too much the original F-15 but from all the other angles (I think) have hit the design.