1/48 ELEGANT PHANTOM (Whatif 1/48)

• 3 months later...

From the epoch of the my last message on this subject I did very few on the "Elegant Phantom".

Spent the summer to correct the surface's defects and finally to rescribe the lines gone lost.

Lately done three attempts to attach the canopies on the fuselage... I use the superglue, so after any attempt gone bad I used the superglue's solvent to dissolve the glue and to try again the operation.

At the third attempt I succeed to obtain an acceptable alignment.

The last lost of time has been caused from the choice of the camo to apply at the Elegant Phantom.

Honestly I have not decided which camo to apply but at least I have now a half idea of the direction to take to paint the my Phantom.

Today finally done the Pre Shading.

elegant-phantom-4660.JPG

elegant-phantom-4661.JPG

elegant-phantom-4662.JPG

elegant-phantom-4663.JPG

After done the pre shading I have covered some selected zones on the model with masking fluid to protect the shading's line.

elegant-phantom-4675.JPG

As the masking fluid has dried I sprayed a light coat of Humbrol/White Ensign Models FS-36622.

elegant-phantom-4678.jpg

The preshading effect is gone well on the undersurfaces (or I think so):

elegant-phantom-4682.jpg

This is a side view of the my model at the first stage of painting:

elegant-phantom-4684.jpg

Today removed the masking fluid:

elegant-phantom-4689.JPG

Now will choose what tint to apply on the previously masked zones.

Today applied the second colour.

This time I choose a Gunze paint, H-336 HEMP, mated with the overall finish of Humbrol FS-36622 has given to the my "whatif" a combination that resemble the camo sported from the USAF F-15.

The Humbrol Fs-36622 has a vague LIGHT SAND hue and the HEMP has a Gray/SAND hue so they look contrasted at a right level.

A little problem is happened because on the surfaces painted with the HEMP the PRESHADING is gone lost at 99%.

elegant-phantom-4694.JPG

elegant-phantom-4693.JPG

elegant-phantom-4696.JPG

elegant-phantom-4695.JPG

Immediately after the application of the HEMP I did a little of my loved postshading by spraying the centre of every HEMP's treated panel with the same HEMP but added with a little amount of Gunze's WHITE.

Probably I will do a very soft postshading on the upper surfaces panel lines because the PRE SHADING has gone to hell.

• 3 months later...
I have to admit: that is pretty sweet!

It's nice to see that almost you like this my idea turned on plastic; I have to admit of to have received some complaints for the my modernized (elegant...) Phantom.

However... I'm back on this project three months later the last time I worked on it.

I'm looking if is possible to complete this Phantom finally!

A thing is sure: in three months the paint has SURELY dryed optimally. Now it's time for a hand of GLOSS. Sprayed a mix 50/50 of FUTURE and GUNZE CLEAR.

Why I tested this mix?

I don't know!!!

I have read of this "recipe" inside a recent issue of a British Magazine... I tested the recipe and the mix work. The surfaces are extremely glossy. This is ok for me.

elegant-phantom-4891.JPG

elegant-phantom-4890.JPG

On the undersurfaces the PRE SHADING has worked very well for the my tastes.

On the upperer surfaces I have "weathered" the panel lines using a very sharp soft PENCIL.

When I did errors I clean away the mishaps with an eraser gum!!!

After the application of the GLOSS appear that the weathering effect in the panel lines is come out a little too dark: I hope this effect will calm down a little when applying the final layer of MATT.

As usual, after the yesterday applied layer of gloss, inspecting the Phantom I noticed a little bunch of errors. Mostly are panel lines erased that need of to be rescribed.

Today tested for the first time the ALCLAD "ALC-413 Hot metal blue" on the reworked engine's exhausts.

To obtain soft edges I did use the "Blue Tack" kind of adhesive hand rolled and applied on selected zones of the exhaust.

elegant-phantom-4884.JPG

elegant-phantom-4887.JPG

what an interseting WHIF..... really like the concept and execution...... puts my efforts to shame!!

Sincerely I'm not happy of the results achieved until today: I would be more precise in the my work; I hope of to reach more upper levels in the next future.

In the last 24 hours did this:

Since that I need a pair of extra pylons (NAVY Style) to place under the wings, I copied with the syilicone rubber and the resin the original pylons sold iside the ESCI kit:

For first done the copy with the gum:

elegant-phantom-4892.JPG

Poured the resin in the mould and placed under pressure:

elegant-phantom-4893.JPG

And this is the result... simple!

elegant-phantom-4898.JPG

I would to have had this materials 20/25 years ago!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

DISASTER!!!!

Some day ago I painted in natural metal some panels on the tail.

Then used VALLEJO WASH to accent the panel lines.

Every Time when I use advanced modelling tecniques something of bad happen: this time is happened that the Vallejo Wash has run for capillarity under the Tamiya Tape used to cover the tail's surfaces.

This is an image of the disaster:

elegant-phantom-disatro-4916-1.jpg

The disaster has been recovered few moments ago: I was able to brush away the unwanted spills of VALLEJO WASH with AMMONIA carefully applied with a Q-TIP.

Only a little spot of paint was damaged by this work!!!

By my luck on the under surface, ever in the tail, the application of the metallic enamels has been more trouble free.

After to have sprayed the Xtracolors I did the post shading using the powder from a Faber Castell CHARCOAL pencil applied using a MICRO BRUSH.

elegant-phantom-4918-1.jpg

Edited by G_Marcat_Italy
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Today I have reprise in hand the "Elegant Phantom".

The kit was ready for the decals from one year and half but I was unable to imagine it completed in a satisfactory way.

I have applied to it an imaginary "Mod Eagle Sand Scheme" but this was not what I have had in project at the beginning.

The first idea one year and half ago was of to do such as F-15E low cost replacement, Fs-36118 on all and way so. But what to do with the F-4C/D nose??? That radome was too old style on a F-15E alternative.

Then I choose a scheme as those applied to the first F-15A delivered to Usaf in the I purchased that decals sheet from Two Bobs with inside the markings for the firsts F-15A to Usaf, but then I changed idea.

When today I have restarted the work on the "Elegant" for first I was obliged to repair a pair of details on the kit because a my cat was able to launch the "Elegant" on the floor breaking two parts.

This is not all, looking closely to the surface of the "Elegant" I have found dozens of scratches and imperfections. One year and half ago I was so determinated to complete the kit that I have closed the eye on the details. Another reason for to do the things better.

At a certain point I had loose the patience and partially removed the paint:

phantom-eagle-1799.JPG

The my current line of thought is of to change the current F-4C/D/J radome and to replace it, or with a F-15's radome, or with something of my invention.

• 2 weeks later...

Is there no limit to your imagination and creativity??? :woot.gif:

The my true limit is the time: I would to have more time for the modeling!!!

Update:

Removed the more possible of old paint then corrected some points left loose the past time and yesterday sprayed a preliminary layer of Humbrol Zinc Cromate Primer as base for the next paint attempt.

elegant-phantom-2012-1857.JPG

elegant-phantom-2012-1853.JPG

elegant-phantom-2012-1858.JPG

I did the calculations for your center of gravity (Glad I am finally finished!!!)and it would appear that your center of gravity is going to be off by 7.33478 scale-inches. I did factor in with a F-4E nose and found that it would then only be 1.2316 scale-inches off the other way.

I used a complex algebraic expression to get my results and then I called a buddy of mine down in St Louis (Boeing....formerly Mc-D) to see if he woudl validate my findings and he said I was probably going to be off by + or - .003 scale-inches if at all once you are completed.

It looks kick-*ss otherwise! Can't wait to see the finished product.

I should have never stopped drinking soda pop.

This morning done the pre shading to the upper surfaces:

elagant-phantom-2012-1916.JPG

elagant-phantom-2012-1917.JPG

If you watch the image here above, look at left wing, the pre shading is a little more coarse in the front edge of the left wing.

This morning, in the beginning, I tried to do the pre shading using a "MICRO BRUSH". As soon as I begun to use the Micro Brush I had realized that to use the Micro Brush was too much time consuming.

So I did the rest of the pre shading using the airbrush.

Think And Think, at the end chosen the livery.

Days ago applied cheap low tack tape in "certain zones"

elegant-phantom-2012-1922.JPG

today sprayed the White Ensign FS-36622 enamel on the undersurfaces.

First, covered the center of every preshaded panel with the 36622,

elegant-phantom-2012-1925.JPG

elegant-phantom-2012-1926.JPG

then sprayed with the same 36622 heavy diluted over the preshading lines.

This is the result:

elegant-phantom-2012-1931.JPG

elegant-phantom-2012-1932.JPG

I think of to have done the task decently.