1/48 Eduard F6F-5 Hellcat

Just finished this last night - my first prop! Straight out of the box - this kit goes together really well. I actually managed to get away without filler on most joints (the cowling and drop tank being the only problem spots - but those were probably my fault!) I'm definitely thinking about doing another one - probably a -3 with the three color scheme.

Antenna wire made from stretched sprue. Spinning prop courtesy of mother nature. :thumbsup:

IMG_0778.jpg

Exhaust stains were my first attempt at freehand work with my airbrush. Used a mixture of Wal-Mart craft paints heavily thinned with water.

IMG_0847.jpg

IMG_0830.jpg

I couldn't resist having at least one B&W photo...

IMG_0749B.jpg

IMG_0732.jpg

Landing gear is quite detailed, but because of the paint scheme you can't see a lot of it at all.

IMG_0810.jpg

IMG_0857.jpg

Engine is well detailed although you can't really see much when it's done.

IMG_0787.jpg

Cockpit is really nicely detailed, thanks to the pre-painted PE. Of course you can't see a whole lot when the canopy is closed, but it's nice to know it's there! Also, the included precut canopy masks are a really nice touch.

IMG_0849.jpg

IMG_0756.jpg

Comments and critiques welcome.

Thanks,

Nick

Edited by Nick L

Thanks for the comments. The Hellcat is my favorite WWII fighter and I'm glad to finally have a model of it.

I considered giving it a semi-gloss coat, but I had seen period photos that showed a visibly high gloss finish so I left it as is. It is called "glossy sea blue" after all! :)

Nick