A question for the decal mfrs

Just today I noted an auction on E-Bay for a set of Cutting Edge decals (for the U-2R/S) that had closed when the item sold for $62. Wow. This eclipsed the previous record (at least of which I am aware) of $60, and several others (not the same sheet) that have sold for in excess of $30. Here is my question for the decal mfrs (or anybody else):

Given the popularity of and the exceedingly (to me) high prices that these sheets bring, why is there no apparent attempt on the part of other manufacturers to produce and market something similar? I realize that the market is small (compared to the one for F-18's, F-16's, etc.) but it still seems there might be a buck to be made. Would appreciate your input/comments.

Edited by Vpanoptes

The problem is that as soon as you make new ones..they are no longer "out of production" and you cant sell them for such a high price. on the flip side..even if you do produce them, you arent "cutting edge" and yours wont go for the same price.

it is mostly the company name and the OOP status that drives the price...that and some collectors have more money that brains( no offence to those of you that spend the money and plan to actually use them!!!)

Sean

I think Mr. 2000 is onto something. I just used Cutting Edge decals for the first time this week, and I must say, there were very, very nice.

That said, given how well the CE B-52 decals sell on eBay, If I had $5K to invest I'd probably consider a couple of sheets for the BUFF.

Edited by thegoodsgt