Can Mr. Retarder be used with the Mr. Hobby Color line?

Per what I get Mr. Retarder is designed to be used with the Gunze Mr. Color line, which are lacquer paints. Mr. Hobby Color (or Aqueous) are acrylics from the same manufacturer. Will the lacquer based Mr. Retarder work with the acrylics?

I have searched the Internet but the data is conflicting: some say the retarder can be used, others say that it works only on lacquers and will have no effect on the acrylics' drying time and is therefore pointless.

Anyone?

Can Mr. Retarder be used with the Mr. Hobby Color line?

Per what I get Mr. Retarder is designed to be used with the Gunze Mr. Color line, which are lacquer paints. Mr. Hobby Color (or Aqueous) are acrylics from the same manufacturer. Will the lacquer based Mr. Retarder work with the acrylics?

I have searched the Internet but the data is conflicting: some say the retarder can be used, others say that it works only on lacquers and will have no effect on the acrylics' drying time and is therefore pointless.

Anyone?

Without actually trying it, I'm going to say no, a retarder designed for lacquer or enamel based paints won't work with acrylics. Actually, I don't think you'd need, or even want, to use, a retarder with acrylic paints. In my experience anyway, I find that they usually dry slowly enough on their own. At least when thinned with water.

Cheers,

Eric

The "mr. hobby " "Mr Retarder Mild" is for acrylics. Enamels don't need a retarder (or I ever missed that stuff for spraying enamels).

On the Mr retarder label is written: "...it is for acrylic colors." Amount of use: some drops or max. 10%, stir well. For thinning the aqueous hobby colors I take spirit. (or alcohol, not water).

The "mr. hobby " "Mr Retarder Mild" is for acrylics. Enamels don't need a retarder (or I ever missed that stuff for spraying enamels).

On the Mr retarder label is written: "...it is for acrylic colors." Amount of use: some drops or max. 10%, stir well. For thinning the aqueous hobby colors I take spirit. (or alcohol, not water).

No,

Mr retarder mild is for Mr Color Lacquer-base acrylics, so the Mr Color line.

It prevents spiderwebs (paint which dries before it reach the kit)

No,

Mr retarder mild is for Mr Color Lacquer-base acrylics, so the Mr Color line.

It prevents spiderwebs (paint which dries before it reach the kit)

Ah, ok, thank you! That s not clearly written on the label in german language! it s just "...for acrylic colors".

I have almost no Mr. hobby laquer based colors in use, so...bad..what to do now with the retarder?

Is there a product for the aqueous line ? Can I take the retarder for tamiya acrylics?

I have sometimes trouble with glogging or the spiderwebs, esp. when I do the preshading technic. (much air, less paint).

So I go with Lothar Matthaeus: "again what learned!" *jokemode*

explanation: Lothar is a former german soccer star speaking a bad english with frankonian accent! <_<

Ah, ok, thank you! That s not clearly written on the label in german language! it s just "...for acrylic colors".

I have almost no Mr. hobby laquer based colors in use, so...bad..what to do now with the retarder?

Is there a product for the aqueous line ? Can I take the retarder for tamiya acrylics?

I have sometimes trouble with glogging or the spiderwebs, esp. when I do the preshading technic. (much air, less paint).

So I go with Lothar Matthaeus: "again what learned!" *jokemode*

explanation: Lothar is a former german soccer star speaking a bad english with frankonian accent! :worship:

retarder is only effective for two uses of Mr color:

- 10% in the mix of Mr color and Mr thinner, to prevent spiderweb when you airbrush it.

- 20% + with Mr Color when you brush it.

For the sake of clarification...

Mr Color paints are LACQUER based acrylic paints.

Hobby Color Aqueous are WATER (or alcohol) based acrylic paints.

In other words, BOTH are acrylic paints.

"Acrylic" refers to the carrier/binder - the chemicals used to make the paint dry - not the thinner. Which is why Gunze calls them 'lacquer' and 'aqueous' paint, not 'lacquer' and 'acrylic'. Tamiya's paints are all acrylic, too, IIRC, from the lacquer-based spray cans and bottles, to the aqueous bottle paints

So, yes, Mr. Retarder will work on acrylic paint, both lacquer and aqueous. I don't know if it works with enamels, though (like Humbrol or Model Master), or "proper" acrylics (like Polly Scale)

I've used Mr Retarder mild on Mr Color, Aqueous Hobby Color and Tamiya acrylics, all with no issues at all.

Ditto. Works perfect for me with Tamiya acrylics.

retarder is only effective for two uses of Mr color:

- 10% in the mix of Mr color and Mr thinner, to prevent spiderweb when you airbrush it.

- 20% + with Mr Color when you brush it.

Would that work in Mr. Surfacer?

Okay, thanks for all the input.

I usually don't need retarder in my Gunze (Hobby Color-aqueous) when airbrushing as it airbrushes well. On the other hand Gunze paint dries too fast for good brush painting, leaving stroke marks. This is why I usually use enamels for brush painting. But now I have to do some detailing with the same paint as I sprayed as it has to be exactly the same color. No way using another, enamel paint. Got to go with the same Mr. Hobby Color I airbrushed with. So I figured that using Mr. Retarder Mild will make the paint easier too apply with a brush, eliminating the marks. I guess that I will just try and see how it goes.

tobiK: if you have Mr. Retarder Mild and don't know what to do with it you can definitely use it with Mr. Surfacer. I use Mr. Surfacer 1200 as a primer and it works very well but has a fast drying time, which causes spiderwebs/strings to form. By slowing the drying time with some drops of Mr. Retarder the problem is solved and I get a very smooth primer coat.

Miccara: most definitely yes. See above. Mr. Leveling Thinner, which is designed to be used with Mr. Surfacer, is a mix of Mr. Thinner and Mr. Retarder Mild. In theory Mr. Leveling Thinner should be enough to prevent Mr. Surfacer from spiderwebing but I find that some additional drops of Mr. Retarder work better. At least for me.

"Mr. Retarder is for lacquer-based only and must NOT be used with water-based acrylics!" cried the Purist.

"But it works!" exclaimed the Radical.

Okay, here is the result of my little test: I added about 20% of Mr. Retarder to aqueous Hobby Color and brushed it on a piece of scrap. It leveled out nicely while staying very wet. I don't know how long it took to dry because I left it overnight but when I checked on it in the morning it was nice and smooth, no brush strokes whatsoever. Best brush application I've ever seen. Actually it works so well that you can actually daub it on and it will still level out nice and smooth.

So Mr. Retarder does work with the water-based Mr. Hobby Color and completely eliminates the brush marks when applied with a brush.

That's a problem solved and one more weapon in my arsenal.

Guess it makes me a Radical...

• 8 years later...