Sea Starfighter and a display Starfighter

Okay, back in 1963 the navy still did not have anything to replace its lost Banshees with. The Bonnie was soon to be retired and the air force was getting all the new stuff.

Sooooooo....... ah.....yeah, Canadair decided they could help the navy by providing another 30 Starfighters for naval use. As the Bonny would never be able to launch anything like a Starfighter it was decided to navalize the suckers using a bunch of extra pontoons the air force had bought for its Otters.

The original plan was to just number the Starfighters in the 12901- 12930 range but the last threes would not work with the RCN registry system. The 900 series was reserved for trainers and reserve use only.

So the air force who was in charge of the purchase used the unused 12600- 12630 range. 12631 and up were to be used by the Mk1 and Mk2 two seat Starfighters bought of the Lockheed lines.

Apart from the pontoons and the addition of a stiffener which measures out almost the exact same as the tail surface of a early F-16 the only difference to the naval Starfighter is the German style ejection seat. The main reason for this has nothing to do with the fact my Canadian resin ejection seat in the stash is being saved for a normal Canadian build.

One neat feature was the aerodynamic addition of the "deck" at the back of the pontoons. Not only did they aid in stability but they provided a nice place to sit and soak your feet while fishing.

Somehow the attrition rate of the naval Starfighters was rather low. 28 survived into the early 80s when they were replaced with CF-18s which flew off the HMCS Crossbow and HMCS Whatyoulookenat.

The pontoon equipped Strfighters were demilitarized and sold on the civilian market to rich buggers who wanted a flying fishing boat.

DSC_0544-1.jpg

DSC_0550.jpg

DSC_0545.jpg

Edited by phantom

Paint scheme is close to what the RCN Banshee flew in. As did the Sea King when we first got them near 50 years ago.

DSC_0547.jpg

The other plane is a what if Skyhawk I did a couple years ago.

All are very nice. I enjoy looking at your work.

I just realized that the pitot tube on your Starfighter is pointing downward. Spearfishing? :)

Edited by Pirata
"The Torpedo with a man in it" ! :)

That's funny!

Neat concept Shawn. I wonder how many weenies on Parliament Hill maybe thought of something like that back in the '70s!

• 3 weeks later...