1/48 Apollo CSM and LM

Just completed my Apollo project. A 1/48 Revell LM docked with the resin CSM Real Space Models kit. I also used the New Wares Lunar Module detail set ( H mission) which was excellent.

Most of the work was with the LM which took, off and on, about 8 months. The CSM took about a month. The biggest problem was getting the CM fixed to the SM. Had to rip the two apart once as I was not happy with the alignment.My fault, the the kit. I also made it harder for myself by configuring the landing legs in the stored position.

Alot of foil was used on the LM as you can see, all the references on the net help greatly. I also used bare metal foil on the CM.

Decals from space model systems were also used on the LM.

I must say that this has been the hardest project I have completed and she was very close to ending up in the bin on a number of occasions !!

lm1.jpg

lm5.jpg

lm2.jpg

lm3.jpg

lm4.jpg

Outstanding work! I especially like the LM - not usually done with the legs in stowed position, so I commend you on your choice there.

Did you find it difficult to work with the foil? I'm intending to start a similar LM, and am feeling daunted by how to properly render the complicated kapton foil on the descent stage.

Again, very very nice work, and thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Great build, but I have a small sniggle with it.......................

The heat shield strips on the CM look out of scale. From camera distance, the CM should look almost "polished chrome"...............with the striping only becoming evident closer up.

Only a minor sniggle, man.....................................................your model looks great!

Great build, but I have a small sniggle with it.......................

The heat shield strips on the CM look out of scale. From camera distance, the CM should look almost "polished chrome"...............with the striping only becoming evident closer up.

Only a minor sniggle, man.....................................................your model looks great!

The scale size is correct if you look at image attached. I used ultra bright bare metal chrome foil which is as close to "polished chrome look" as you can get. It does look more chrome like in the flesh.

thanks for the feedback.

AS09-20-3071HR.jpg

Edited by steve007

Absolutely gorgeous! Really nice build and execution. I think the striping on the CM looks good as it is very difficult to pull it off well in scale. Your LM looks great with the legs retracted, something you don’t see with this kit. I know how difficult it is to build the LM accurately. Oh for the 1/32 scale kit that’s been promised for the last few years!

Enter it in a comp you will win!

The scale size is correct if you look at image attached. I used ultra bright bare metal chrome foil which is as close to "polished chrome look" as you can get. It does look more chrome like in the flesh.

thanks for the feedback.

AS09-20-3071HR.jpg

Definitely not busting your chops here, Steve.............................just my eye............................

Your build looks absolutely great anyway you slice it. :whistle:

Edited by Ace Airspeed
That is one of the best CSM/LM combinations I have ever seen! VERY nice work man!

It definitely is!

I've toyed with the idea of building a LEM for quite a long time, but I've always been afraid of the foiling process and how NOT to make the whole thing look like a toy. Very often the finished models look (a bit) like that. Seems the panels on the ascent stage are often painted too monotonously, whereas in my mind painting it right is one of the decisive factors in getting the LEM look real good.

You've really made it look good!

• 1 month later...

Love to see a close up of the base you made for the model. Nice work.

Bruce P.

Just completed my Apollo project. A 1/48 Revell LM docked with the resin CSM Real Space Models kit. I also used the New Wares Lunar Module detail set ( H mission) which was excellent.

Most of the work was with the LM which took, off and on, about 8 months. The CSM took about a month. The biggest problem was getting the CM fixed to the SM. Had to rip the two apart once as I was not happy with the alignment.My fault, the the kit. I also made it harder for myself by configuring the landing legs in the stored position.

Alot of foil was used on the LM as you can see, all the references on the net help greatly. I also used bare metal foil on the CM.

Decals from space model systems were also used on the LM.

I must say that this has been the hardest project I have completed and she was very close to ending up in the bin on a number of occasions !!

lm1.jpg

lm5.jpg

lm2.jpg

lm3.jpg

lm4.jpg