Mr. Hobby Super Clear Flat over Future

It "says" it's acrylic, but that's the ad on the can. If it's an alcohol soluble acrylic polymer, (probably is) then the high volume of solvent necessary for aerosol reduction might dissolve the Future, especially if applied in too heavy a coat. If you use it, be sure to apply it in light, misting coats.

Can I apply this stuff:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Mr-HOBBY-B514-Super-Cl...=item335e23220f

over a Future coat?

Just checking..

-Anthony

Be careful. That one has a tendency to "frost" your model's surface. Happened to me. And feedback from other modelers gives similar results (frost) :)

You're better off using the Gunze's "TopCoat" water based stuff. See Narita san's WIP:

http://www.naritafamily.com/howto/F15E/day13.htm

That's the blue can there. Comes in Flat, Semi-Gloss & Gloss.

HTH

Yea I'd stay away from it.. I just gave it a test on a pylon painted with the Gunze acrylics... I did a lite mist coat and it got real agressive with the paint that has cured for over 3 weeks.... Now of you were to get the same stuff in a bottle form and thin it thru ur airbrush... I would have no prob with it.. The spray can just lays it on too thick....

As far as the frosting goes.. Just need to shake the heck out of it and when u think ur done... Shake some more... The gunze stuff really needs to be properly mixed..

I am in search of a new flat coat to go over Future as well. I've been using Micro Flat since getting back into the hobby, and it just doesn't seem to get flat enough. I end up with sort of a satin sheen instead.

What I'm really looking for is something that will give me a dead flat clear surface without that dreaded frosting effect.

Would be nice to just run this thread on clear coats until we have all options on the table.

Stew

I also have a problem with my Future rght now

im building a swiss REGA chopper it Red and white and after applying future some of the White show some yellowing (witch after reading about future is known issue) My problem is that all my decals are on and im not sure what to do ...

The model is painted in Humbrol enamels and i cleaned off the future where it yellowed with rubbing alcohol but now i im wondering if i can apply my Humbrol Clear gloss (enamel) over the Future

Any help would be great

Cheers

Neo

The model is painted in Humbrol enamels and i cleaned off the future where it yellowed with rubbing alcohol but now i im wondering if i can apply my Humbrol Clear gloss (enamel) over the Future

If your Future is yellowed when applied, it is either old or has seen a lot of ultraviolet and/or heat. Get some fresh stuff.

Provided that the Future is fully cured, you can apply anything not alcohol soluble and not containing acetone, methyl ethyl ketone (any ketone) or butyl cellosolve, over it.

Thanks triarius

My future bottle is brand new it only yellowed on the white the rest is fine (even on the clear part it did not yellow) and reading the tools and tips on the main arcair future section i found this

The only application that you should be concerned about is on a totally white finish as it has been reported to cause yellowing in that instance.

But this is good news to hear i will hit it with my usual Humbrol gloss and hope see comes out good

Cheers

Edited by Neo
Thanks triarius

My future bottle is brand new it only yellowed on the white the rest is fine (even on the clear part it did not yellow) and reading the tools and tips on the main arcair future section i found this

But this is good news to hear i will hit it with my usual Humbrol gloss and hope see comes out good

Cheers

That's weird. I've heard people say this, but I've never had fresh Future yellow, over white or anything else. Oh well. As my sigfile says… ;)

Future flattened with Tamiya Flat Base, or Polly Scale clear flat.

That's what I do too, works like a charn and allows you to control the flatness of your finish by changing the mix ratio.