• 10 months later...

That is some impressive work. Those scratch build bays are really precise. How do you get the measurements so accurate?

The Hornets and Super Hornets just have slotted flaps...not Fowler flaps. Fowler flaps would add alot of weight and complexity to the wing. I noticed in one of your pics you asked if it was correct or not.

I just vomitted...no human with normal sized hands is capable of this work. I challenge you to prove you are not a smurf. F..king amazing.

Aw cmon dont make fun of the midget :woot.gif:

LOL

Thanks everyone, you've made my day! :D

Walt, I will continue this build of course. TBH, I have just finished an Italeri Intruder sitting patiently for ten years in the box in a half-built state... Putting up pictures today. ;)

Fly-n-hi, yeah, I asked it so thanks for the info. I was unsure because I read different things on the net how it is called. So slotted flaps will be detailed further. Thanks again, I always learn something during my builds.

Captain, why did you vomit? :) And nooo, I'm not a smurf, just a normal guy with ten fingers. I try to do similar things in 1/48 that some real modelers do in 1/72 on this forum. In 1/48 things are quite large, the gun is about 4cm long.

Neo, thanks for protecting the smurfs. :)

Cheers,

Zoli

• 2 years later...

Hi everyone!

As my Phantom is getting closer and closer to the finish line I felt the need to scratchbuild something. So I got back to the Hornet and done some quick work on the cockpit. Pictures will tell the story.

fa18f_36.JPG

fa18f_37.JPG

fa18f_38.JPG

fa18f_39.JPG

fa18f_40.JPG

fa18f_41.JPG

fa18f_42.JPG

I hope you like this.

Cheers,

Zoli

Edited by ZAgocs

Hi Zoli,

good to see that you are back in business.

I have seen a serious Phantom somewhere here, almost finished and now the Hornet...

Sorry for being the clairvoyant on the cockpit issue.

Regards,Laz

Hi everyone!

Fantastic work!

Can't wait to see more!!!

/Kristian

Thanks Kristian! Will continue soon!

Lovely scratchbuilding work! Very exact.

Thank you billb!

Hi Zoli,

good to see that you are back in business.

I have seen a serious Phantom somewhere here, almost finished and now the Hornet...

Sorry for being the clairvoyant on the cockpit issue.

Regards,Laz

Hi Laz, my friend!

You mean my Phantom? :)

Cockpit issue is not a problem, I wrote it: "So only a very small part of the rear cockpit floor should be removed for a perfect fit. But - your question still echoing in my head so I'll fit the cockpit ASAP...". ASAP - hmm, it was written four years ago...

Could you tell me next week's lottery numbers, BTW? :)

Cheers,

Zoli

• 3 months later...

Hi everyone!

In the months since the last update I successfully built the cockpit for my Super Hornet. I might not be as nice as a resin one would be but building it was modeling fun from the first moment to the last. I enjoyed it, the cockpit now looks busy, resembles to the real one (well, more or less) and that is enough for me. I hope you will enjoy the pictures.

fa18f_43.JPG

fa18f_44.JPG

fa18f_45.JPG

fa18f_46.JPG

fa18f_47.JPG

fa18f_48.JPG

fa18f_49.JPG

fa18f_50.JPG

Continued...

When scratchbuilding was done I finished the work with a protective layer of paint.

fa18f_51.JPG

fa18f_52.JPG

fa18f_53.JPG

fa18f_54.JPG

fa18f_55.JPG

Next victim(s): the avionics bays on both sides of the Super Hornet. If you go back to the first page you can see that the boxes were done years ago... Now I am going to build all the small details inside.

Cheers,

Zoli

Edited by ZAgocs

Oh my goodness!! Wonderful to see what can be achieved with some wire and sprue, old school style.

Thank you, dryguy!

To me this is the fun part in modeling. I enjoy scratchbuilding as much details with my own hands as I can - create something using only those simple materials (even if the quality is far from the pro resin parts). Once someone has successfully finished the first scratchbuilt part there's no turning back... ;)

I guess there are a lot of modelers on this forum who agree with me... :whistle:

And a sidenote: TBH, much more can be achieved this way, I am not a skilled one, just an amateur. I do it (somehow) in 1/48 - talented people do it far better even in 1/72 scale... :coolio:

Excellent work!

Thank you, Fly-n-hi!

Cheers,

Zoli

G'day Zoli,

Fantastic skills on display, respect!

Just a quick note, I noticed this picture

fa18f_35.JPG

The Superhornet (E/F) does not retain the speed brake of the earlier F/A-18A/B/C/D, instead using a combination of auxiliary speed brakes (located in the LEX) and rudder toe-in. The Italeri "speed brake" part should be glued in.

Apologies if you already know this,

cheers,

Pappy

Hi everyone!

Sorry for the late reaction, I built papercraft models with my sons all weekend. My eight years old son has designed and built a papercraft truck with full interior all himself without any help from his proud daddy...

Awesome scratching! :D/>/>

Thanks Janne!

no comments for the cockpit... just respect377.gif

Thank you, christosxt!

G'day Zoli,

Fantastic skills on display, respect!

The Superhornet (E/F) does not retain the speed brake of the earlier F/A-18A/B/C/D, instead using a combination of auxiliary speed brakes (located in the LEX) and rudder toe-in. The Italeri "speed brake" part should be glued in.

Apologies if you already know this,

cheers,

Pappy

Thank you, Pappy!

Yes, I know this flaw of the Italeri Super Hornet - the nonexisting airbrake is not yet glued and filled. Currently I am working on the details in the nose (cockpit, avionics, front wheel well, gun bay). I already built the 1/72 version (see it here). To me the 1/48 version seems to be just a magnified 1/72 with some extra details - and unfortunately the same problems. I try not to think about the intakes, btw...

Thank you for the helpful comment and if you see anything else that is problematic do not hesitate to tell!

Cheers,

Zoli

your scratch build is simply outstanding.

I see what you are doing, I know what you are doing. But I would never be able to rebuild it in this way! Fantastic, ZAgocs!!

What references are you using for such accurate cockpit detailing?

Could you show some photos about scratch building the instrument panels of front/rear cockpit? Would be nice ;)/>

Regards, Jan

Edited by schneidi

your scratch build is simply outstanding.

I see what you are doing, I know what you are doing. But I would never be able to rebuild it in this way! Fantastic, ZAgocs!!

What references are you using for such accurate cockpit detailing?

Could you show some photos about scratch building the instrument panels of front/rear cockpit? Would be nice ;)

Regards, Jan

Hi Jan!

Thank you! TBH viewing similar builds ten years ago here on ARC I thought the same - I won't be able to do it ever. Practicing helps - and finally you find out that it is simpler than it looks. Try it! :)

The references: photos from the net, primeportal and of course ARC's walkaround gallery. One more source: youtube. e.g. I have just found a nice walkaround of the Hornet on youtube where all the wheel wells were filmed in great details.

One note about accuracy: if I had only a blurry photo of the given part of the Super Hornet, I used photos of the same detail of the B or D variant. I hope not too many people will notice the differences in 1/48... :)

Unfortunately I did not take photos during the cockpit build except the ones already posted here.

The method to create the details on the instrument panels was the one J. M. Villalba described in his books: drill a hole into thin (0.1 mm) sheet styrene and cut it around as tightly as you can - and you have an instrument. Same goes for displays: create four corner of the inside using a pin, cut the inside and then cut it around. Use a sharp X-Acto blade. About every second attempt is successful, no worries if you do not succeed at first.

Switches: create a small hole using a pin, cut stretched sprue and put the switch into place with a small amount of glue.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,

Zoli