Hi everyone!

Thanks for the kind words!

nice work... I am tempted to open a couple of bays (mainly nose) on the 1/72 Dragonfly I am building and adding the canon and maybe avionics too but having seen this I am tempted to leave it closed up ;-).... its sitting there waiting for me to pluck the nerve - it was a cheap kit anyway so good to butcher. It wont be as accurate as yours for example but will have the "look" of the real thing....

robw_uk, we all start somewhere. Do not hesitate, get the saw and start building. After building the first box behind a panel you can't stop thinking "what else should I to cut out next"... :cheers:/>

On the other hand, don't forget that these are 1/48 scale items. I think this scale is more suitable for scratchbuilding...

Zoli,

what's the story about the Phantom?

The weather is not so hot now,maybe it is time to get started with paint job.

Regards,Laz

Laz, I'll continue the Phantom also. Too many models, not enough free time...

Let me know when and where your instruction classes are and I'll be there

Mate, I still attend to similar classes held by chukw, agelos2005, foxtwo, HonzaK and others... :bandhead2:/>

So, for today I have two in-progress pictures of the M61A2 Vulcan (barrels and ammo drum):

fa18f_19.JPG

fa18f_20.JPG

Cheers,

Zoli

Edited by ZAgocs

ha - now that stops me scratchbuilding right there... tried to build a GUA2B in 1/72 - it looks a right mess compared to yours.... in my defence, it needs to be 2mm wide (its not quite that) and at least the 6 barrels sort of look hexagonal. no gaps between barrels, no spaced (they would be added as "eye-candy" around the outside rather than being used to buiold the thing... the good nes, I didnt open the gun-bay door yet so can bin it ;-)

joke, been thinking of restarting it after my 2 week break so will have a look at what you achieve in 1/48 and then simulate rather than accurately engineer one in 1/72

Hi everyone!

Thanks for the kind words!

The Vulcan cannon was built further in this weekend. I built it together and added the ammo belts. To tell the truth it somehow looks better on the pictures than in real life. The loading mechanism still missing as it will be visible through its access door so I want to build it after the door is already cut open.

fa18f_21.JPG

fa18f_22.JPG

fa18f_23.JPG

Thanks for watching.

Cheers,

Zoli

Edited by ZAgocs

Hi everyone!

As always, thanks for the kind words to all of you.

Simply awesome...makes we want to cut up a model right now!
That is freaking amazing work! I would have never attempted such a big job but after seeing yours it gives me some inspiration. Keep the pics coming!

Guys, as I said before - start building, do not hesitate (and post the pics)! I'm quite glad to see my work inspires others! :cheers:/>

And now for today's update - AN/APG-73 radar. I know this was only in the early Superbugs - but I didn't like the modern radar's shape so I wanted to build this version. AFAIK the Italeri Super Hornet is a prototype one - sure to have the old radar... I wanted to build te radar in the extended position - as it slides out of the nose and everything is visible.

First step was to build the odd-shaped box for it and add the connectors (slices of streched sprue):

fa18f_24.JPG

Front wall and rails added:

fa18f_25.JPG

Radar dish was cut, the "holder" of it was built and also added the necessary structure to the front wall:

fa18f_26.JPG

Radar dish rear face is detailed:

fa18f_27.JPG

And finally, details to the radar's front wall added:

fa18f_28.JPG

fa18f_29.JPG

Thanks for watching and as always, your comments are welcomed!

Cheers,

Zoli

Edited by ZAgocs

Thank you guys!

What tool do you use for scratch building ?

Just the simplest things. Hobby knife, caliper, metal ruler, a pencil, mini drills. Another 'tool' is an image processing software (GIMP) to make some measurements on the reference photos - tooks more time than building something.

The materials: plastic sheet, solder wire and metal foil.

Nagyon szép munka Zoli, csak így tovább! :D

Köszönöm, igyekszem! :D

Cheers,

Zoli

Hi everyone!

Just a quick little photo update about the nose cone. The nose was cut apart (cutting out the shiny metal part that belongs to the gun - don't know the exact name of it) and the missing surfaces were built. After it I could not resist and dryfitted the nose pieces.

fa18f_30.JPG

fa18f_31.JPG

fa18f_32.JPG

That's all for now.

Cheers,

Zoli

Edited by ZAgocs
excellent work mate!!!

Thanks Periklis! :thumbsup:

Great work as usual!!!

Thank you! After a peek in your F-14 topic I decided that I will buy an Italeri Tomcat! :)

Is it just me or that radar would never fit in the nose cone!!!

Or is it in a pulled out for maintenance style?

Either way it look good

Yes, it is pulled out of the bay. I just wanted to show more details and I built it in the extended position. :)

The detail work on the radar is amazing!

Thanks! :)

Btw, the in-progress pictures for the radar are on the previous page...

Cheers,

Zoli

• 4 months later...