Some Pics from N.A.S.A. Flight Test....

Indeed I am, John. Ask and you shall receive (I had to get these off my camera first).

Okay, this is a quiz. Anybody know what's special about this Huey?

Looks like a SOTAS bird to me. That's an interesting paint scheme for a NASA aircraft...:-)

Thanks for posting that.

John Hairell (tpn18@yahoo.com)

We have a winner! Joe and John, you guys are bang on - that is an old SOTAS bird. For those not familiar, SOTAS stood for Stand OFF Target Acquisition System. Five UH-1H's were converted as system demonstrators and used in Germany and Korea.

SOTAS had a large side-looking airborne radar (SLAR) boom (similar to that used on the OV-1 Mohawk) under the fuselage that rotated in flight. Those high skids were needed for ground clearance of the boom and retracted to allow the boom to rotate. The red struts you see between the forward crosstube and the skids are part of the retraction mechanism. The retraction was a bit strange - the crosstubes rotate around the saddle mounts until their essentially flush with the underside. Here's a link to show what the helo looked like with the SLAR installed and how the skids look retracted:

http://www.planepictures.net/netsearch4.cgi?srch=Bell%20JUH-1H%20%28SOTAS%29&stype=actype&srng=2. I think there's also a thread on the board that has some additional pics. The intention was to field the system on the UH-60, and one prototype was built (the YEH-60B, known as "Daddy Longlegs", due to it's extended landing gear) prior to the program being cancelled. My understanding from a friend that had some involvement with SOTAS is that the system didn't work well - the SLAR didn't like the vibration levels and failed often, and there was at least one instance where the boom jammed crossways, so they couldn't extend the skids and had to land the helo on a pile of mattresses! The mission is now performed by JSTARS and Block 40 Global Hawks.

Langley picked up this airframe to do model drops. The retractable skids allowed them to drop some fairly large models. Wallops grabbed the airframe last year, as Langley was no longer using it. Wallops is using it for range clearance for rocket launches - previously, the had to lease a commercial helicopter.

I talked a bit with the pilot. He said he doesn't care for the landing characteristics - it's very squirrely, as the higher gear changes the relationship between the rotor and the ground in ground effect. He offered to take me on a flight, but they were having maintenance issues with the helo that they didn't get resolved before I left. Maybe when I go back again this fall!

Markings are a bit unusual. It looks black in the pictures, but it's really just fairly fresh, nasty green CARC, with gold markings. In the current budget environment, it's hard to find money to paint an airplane (we have F-15's that are still AF gray, and likely will stay that way for some time...)

Markings are a bit unusual. It looks black in the pictures, but it's really just fairly fresh, nasty green CARC, with gold markings. In the current budget environment, it's hard to find money to paint an airplane (we have F-15's that are still AF gray, and likely will stay that way for some time...)

For SOTAS airframes this is what I've got:

67-17448

67-17691

67-17755

63-12976

63-12974

As far as the paint, having worked for NASA as soon as I saw it I figured it was a budget issue..:-)

So what happened to the Wallops UH-1V?

For SOTAS airframes this is what I've got:

67-17448

67-17691

67-17755

63-12976

63-12974

As far as the paint, having worked for NASA as soon as I saw it I figured it was a budget issue..:-)

So what happened to the Wallops UH-1V?

Yeah, and the budget is just getting worse...

Those are the same s/n's I have for the SOTAS airframes also.

As for the UH-1V, don't know. Talking to Shane (the Flight Ops chief), they hadn't had a helo at WFF for at least 3-4 years prior to getting the JUH-1H last year.

Yeah, and the budget is just getting worse...

Those are the same s/n's I have for the SOTAS airframes also.

As for the UH-1V, don't know. Talking to Shane (the Flight Ops chief), they hadn't had a helo at WFF for at least 3-4 years prior to getting the JUH-1H last year.

Budget and lack thereof is why I'm no longer at GSFC...

As far as the UH-1V, it's been at least 10 years since I saw it at Goddard. It had an experimental (optical I think) package hung on the left side at the time.

Budget and lack thereof is why I'm no longer at GSFC...

As far as the UH-1V, it's been at least 10 years since I saw it at Goddard. It had an experimental (optical I think) package hung on the left side at the time.

Well this is on the right side but it is definitely an optical package. Looks like some type of IR sensor for detecting wildfires?

Ray

98pc777_zpsc5e65738.jpg

98pc775_zps4852993f.jpg

98pc776_zps124ac8c2.jpg

98pc781_zps342fd13f.jpg

98pc779_zps63a30c38.jpg

98pc780_zps893a90e1.jpg

I thought I'd also throw in a couple of the former SOTAS bird surveying hurricane damage.

05pd1166_zps43e8b50d.jpg

05pd1167_zpsa8de56fd.jpg

05pd1151_zpsa85117ef.jpg

• 4 months later...

So I had the opportunity to scan some more images from the Lawson collection at the National Museum of Naval Aviation last week and thought I'd share my good fortune with the group. Enjoy!

SH-2G

Drawer134-57_zps3e232efc.jpg

AH-1G

Drawer134-58_zps0b080cc5.jpg

Drawer134-59_zps7323305f.jpg

Drawer134-60_zps51ac4056.jpg

RSRA (Rotor Systems Research Aircraft):

Drawer134-62_zpse8d4e7c6.jpg

Drawer134-68_zps065b0481.jpg

Drawer134-84_zpsa6c3585c.jpg

Drawer134-61_zps5666544a.jpg

• 6 months later...

Another nice set of photos as usual, Ray. Here are a few more that might be of interest. The fleet shot shows a UH-1 and what looks like an OH-58A Kiowa. Possibly a flight proficiency ship that pre-dates the NASA OH-6A?

115-2_zpsc80a76b8.jpg

UH-1 variant with a model of the X-29.

56-1_zpsd6f8443b.jpg

Same ship with a scaled down F-5.

56-2_zps570d2ecd.jpg

I guess this Huey might be a possibility in 1/35th scale but scratch-building an X-29 or F-5 scale model for a 1/72 Huey might be a bit of a stretch! :thumbsup:

LD.

Another nice set of photos as usual, Ray. Here are a few more that might be of interest. The fleet shot shows a UH-1 and what looks like an OH-58A Kiowa. Possibly a flight proficiency ship that pre-dates the NASA OH-6A?

115-2_zpsc80a76b8.jpg

UH-1 variant with a model of the X-29.

56-1_zpsd6f8443b.jpg

Same ship with a scaled down F-5.

56-2_zps570d2ecd.jpg

I guess this Huey might be a possibility in 1/35th scale but scratch-building an X-29 or F-5 scale model for a 1/72 Huey might be a bit of a stretch! :thumbsup:/>

LD.

LD,

You made my day with these! The Huey is a civil Bell 204B. It has a 48 ft diameter 205 rotor and a longer tailboom than a UH-1B. You can easily build a civil 204B by kitbashing a Italeri UH-1B and a UH-1F/AB204 kit together. You just need the engine cowling from the UH-1B kit. However, this bird also has a rescue hoist fitted like a Marine UH-1E so you would have to build that (I think I saw a resin set of the hoist in 72nd on E-bay). Also, if you really want it to be accurate, you'd need to get a rotor from a 205/UH-1D/H kit as the Italeri rotors are woefully undersized (40 scale ft vs 48 needed).

Ray

• 5 years later...