Hi all,

Just finished this one:

Very nice kit but quite allot of work on the intakes, spine and cockpit section. The seams on the intakes and cockpitsection are not present in realtime so they had to be filled. Decals went on pretty well but decalsoftners had almost no effect after several times. In the end all came out very nice.

I used Gunze and Alclad for the colors and washes with humbrol enamels; Some pigments here and there from the Tamiya wheatering sets.

Hope you like it! Critique and comment are welcome.

Su-24_001.jpg

Su-24_002.jpg

Su-24_003.jpg

Su-24_004.jpg

Su-24_005.jpg

Su-24_006.jpg

Su-24_007.jpg

Su-24_008.jpg

Su-24_009.jpg

Su-24_010.jpg

Regards from the Netherlands,

Ronald

Great looking model :thumbsup::worship:

I love the weathering and panel detail.

I hope you don't mind one small bit of constructive criticism - regarding the wing stars.

The stars on the wings of Soviet/Russian aircraft should always have the two upper arms at right angles to the fuselage - no matter how swept the wings are.

On variable sweep wing it is a little more complicated - the star should be aligned at right angles to the fuselage at the intermediate sweep position.

This means that they are out of alignment when the wing is fully forward or fully back.

At least that is how I understand it......

It's a small critique on an otherwise excellent model

Regards

Ken

Superb work on that Fencer! Regardless of the "issues" the kit has with some accuracy problems it sure builds up into a very impressive model and you have done yours perfectly.

Makes me want to start on mine soon!!

Cheers

Mike

...Fantastic...no criticism from me, but please answer me one question, is it the preshading you used or the wash/pastels or whatelse that gave those ammazing panel lines?

Great looking model :thumbsup::worship:

I love the weathering and panel detail.

I hope you don't mind one small bit of constructive criticism - regarding the wing stars.

The stars on the wings of Soviet/Russian aircraft should always have the two upper arms at right angles to the fuselage - no matter how swept the wings are.

On variable sweep wing it is a little more complicated - the star should be aligned at right angles to the fuselage at the intermediate sweep position.

This means that they are out of alignment when the wing is fully forward or fully back.

At least that is how I understand it......

It's a small critique on an otherwise excellent model

Regards

Ken

Thanks for your reaction. I will keep that in mind for future builds. One of the things here is to learn from each other and as stated, comments are welcome.

@Zark: The whole model is preshaded dark grey. Then postshading with 2-3 different shades of grey (basic color made lighter every time) First "normal" postshading by filling all panels one by one. The other two shades are done more randomly. Afterwards a wash with Humbrol enamels; Mix of H92 & H128. Pastels are only used to fade the red decals and some light trails on the flaps and chaffboxes on top.

Ronald

Edited by Ronald1903

That's a very well done model: the construction, weathering & paint are all executed very well. I'm hoping they scale this kit down to 1/72.

I really can't find anything to complain about other than where are you going to put such a big beast? :nanner:

Wow, that is looking very impressive. Splendid work overall. Just a few question/requests:

1: You mention you have done something on the spine, what exactly?

2: Do you have any pictures of the finished cockpit?

3: Does trumpeter gives you option to build Fencer without fencers on wings?

4: You don't happen to have a profile picture of yours finished model, from the side?

I am very impressed by yours work. Makes me want to take out my never ending Streem kit...

Wow, that is looking very impressive. Splendid work overall. Just a few question/requests:

1: You mention you have done something on the spine, what exactly?

2: Do you have any pictures of the finished cockpit?

3: Does trumpeter gives you option to build Fencer without fencers on wings?

4: You don't happen to have a profile picture of yours finished model, from the side?

I am very impressed by yours work. Makes me want to take out my never ending Streem kit...

1. Nothing special, just sanding and rescribing. The airframe is split up vertical and you get a seem on top. Glue very neat and you have little work on that. Here are the gaps before treatment (nothing glued yet):

18-04-00001.jpg

18-04-00002.jpg

2. The canopy windows are blocking the view to make some good photo's. I will try to make some though. Cockpit is very basic if you compare the rest of the kit. I built this one OOB but in the future sure there will be some resin goodies to make things a bit more detailed.

3. The boxart presumes that the kit has no wingfences. You can only build it with wingfences, straight from the box. The large chaffboxes on the back, next to the tail are also in the box but are not needed when building the kit with fences. With some adjustments, you can make it without the wingfences and you can use the large chaffboxes. Trumpeter wants you to build the kit with the chaffboxes, but this is not correct!

007su24m22006.jpg

No wingfences, big chaffboxes on the back. The models with wingfences have no chaffboxes like this. Also note that the scheme is slightly different regarding the grey and white. Trumpeter wants you to make a "new" scheme as above but this is also not correct when you are building it with the fences and without the chaffboxes. Red 42 is now an updated Su-24M2 without fences, chaffboxes and a new scheme. The scheme and version that I did was before the update, correctly according the book "Su-24 by Yefim Gordon" where red 42 is standing in old scheme, fences en no chaffboxes. Note: Not all Fencers are updated so check your references.

4. I will make a photo today.

Also a weird thing is the weapons. There is a huge variaty to choose from but for the bombs/rockets there are no braces to hold them! Only the MER's (two of them) have them, following the instructions. If you want to build it with the MER's you can't have more bombs/rockets under it, you have to make it yourself or the sparebox has come to help.

Also for the launchers, there are not enough for all stations.

Ronald

Edited by Ronald1903

Thank you very much for detailed answer.

Red 42 is now an updated Su-24M2 without fences, chaffboxes and a new scheme. The scheme and version that I did was before the update, correctly according the book "Su-24 by Yefim Gordon" where red 42 is standing in old scheme, fences en no chaffboxes. Note: Not all Fencers are updated so check your references.

Ronald

Yes, many, if not all Lipetsk Su-24's are updated. I have still not found any hard proof on if there is M2 in service outside Lipetsk. Also, no fences =/= updated Su-24. It was common practice to remove them when they got in service, and most current in service birds are without them. Regarding those huge chaffboxes, i have seen them only on Lipetsk birds, so it is logical to assume they are part of the M2 upgrade package. There is a video floating on net showing Su-24 from the cockpit. Interesting thing is that it has one extra screen (GPS maybe), but it was confirmed by an insider (that works in the factory that actually updates Su-24) that it isn't true M2. So there seems to be atleast 2 updates floating.

Also, it is often said that Algeria Su-24's are M2, but they are infact just standard Su-24's. Apparently Iran did upgrade theirs Su-24's to M2.

Here ya go:

IMG_1790.JPG

I tried to make a descent photo of the cockpit but my macro won't focus on the inside because of the canopies that are open. I,ve got one photo, in progress:

21-04-00002.jpg

And a more artistic shot from the other side:

IMG_1784.JPG

Thanks for all kind replies.

Ronald

Edited by Ronald1903

That is one fantaastic looking Fencer there, Ronald! :salute:

I really like the nice and subtle weathering you've done on this one and the photos under the natural sunlight. Looks ALMOST REAL!!!! :rofl: :rofl:

Ken, I've been trying to find the differences between Ronald's set-up and this real picture. What exactly is wrong with the way he did them and do you have a clear picture of what you mean?

750px-Su-24_Fencer_underside_view.jpg

Thanks, Erik

Erik - and Ronald........

Please ignore everything I said about the alignment of the wing stars - I am talking a load of rubbish!! :)

I had understood that this was the way the stars were supposed to be aligned - but photographic evidence shows that this is not the case..... :)

Even on fixed wing aircraft, the stars are not always correctly aligned at right angles to the fuselage datum.

Please accept my apologies......

Ken

Erik - and Ronald........

Please ignore everything I said about the alignment of the wing stars - I am talking a load of rubbish!! :)

I had understood that this was the way the stars were supposed to be aligned - but photographic evidence shows that this is not the case..... :)

Even on fixed wing aircraft, the stars are not always correctly aligned at right angles to the fuselage datum.

Please accept my apologies......

Ken

Ken,

No need to apologize man. I was under the same impression myself. In fact I had read it somewhere a long time ago so figured thats just the way it is. Your knowledge on everything Russian sure helps all of us here my good man.