I just saw an article in the local paper that said a company here in Jax has started converting old F-16s into QF-16s. Hard to believe, I know. They'd be better off putting new wings on and continuing to fly them. It is still a very good airframe and with avionics upgrades, the only thing it is really lacking is stealth. I would say the same for legacy Hornets, except the Navy already has the SH in production, so they should just keep rolling with that and add the F-35C when it is ready.

Edited by DutyCat

They are converting A models, which were retired from service long ago as hard to believe as it is. The supply of F-4s is being depleted and there is an abundance of F-16s sitting in the desert at AMARC. A couple years ago I talked with the Wing Commander of the QF-4 squadron at AirVenture (Oshkosh) who flew in the QF-4E for the show. At that time they had just less than 30 flyable F-4 airframes left and efforts were underway to develop a digital fly by wire control system for the QF-16s.

The F-16 is the most logic choice because it is the most abundant airframe in storage inventory, has a ample supply of spares and is of the size and flies much like the enemy aircraft our pilots are training to shoot down.

That's interesting, since we're doing the first one here in St Louis.....it's in our hangar right now...........and I'm looking at it........

Jeff - from the article:

"The conversion is now underway at the company’s Cecil Field facility in Jacksonville, Fla."

when did you move to FL? LOL

Jeff - from the article:

"The conversion is now underway at the company’s Cecil Field facility in Jacksonville, Fla."

when did you move to FL? LOL

I'm not sure where the author got his information but I can assure you we have the first QF-16 drone conversion going on here, right now in St Louis. In the past week they began re-assembly of the airframe. The wings are on and the horizontals are on. This one is the first one to work up the procedure/steps to convert all further QF-16's.....

Our group isn't doing the work but it is in our hangar and has been here since January.

jeff

84-260 will be the first drone and they will be C models. The reason being the engines, spare parts and service life. Check the tail number on the one in your hangar, it may be a ground/proceedure trainer as you said but unless its 84-260 its not the first QF. Does it have an engine? It may not ever even fly again. not sure but if you get us a tail number we can see whats the deal with that airframe....

84-260 will be the first drone and they will be C models. The reason being the engines, spare parts and service life. Check the tail number on the one in your hangar, it may be a ground/proceedure trainer as you said but unless its 84-260 its not the first QF. Does it have an engine? It may not ever even fly again. not sure but if you get us a tail number we can see whats the deal with that airframe....

Funny you mention this tail #, that is one of two #'s on TwoBobs sheet.

Mark