Question for the AH-1 Cobra fans!

I have the very old kit of AH-1G of Revell. Just painting it overal Army colours I prefer not to. In Scale aircraft modelling issue volume 19 number 9 of November 1997 there is an special experimental colours AH-1G which i like. Serial is 603.

As i only have one side of the scheme i need some pics or other good reference on this helicopter

The colours stated with profile are believed to be Light Green FS 34151 Tan 30215 Sand 333613 and black 37038

Thanks for any information helping me out :explode:

I have the very old kit of AH-1G of Revell. Just painting it overal Army colours I prefer not to. In Scale aircraft modelling issue volume 19 number 9 of November 1997 there is an special experimental colours AH-1G which i like. Serial is 603.

As i only have one side of the scheme i need some pics or other good reference on this helicopter

The colours stated with profile are believed to be Light Green FS 34151 Tan 30215 Sand 333613 and black 37038

Thanks for any information helping me out :deadhorse1:

Eric,

not sure if this is the bird, but the colors look pretty close to your description. These photos are from the army Aviation Museum at ft Rucker. These birds were used to test experimental camouflage. I also included a second bird at the end that might be of interest as well. Unfortunately, the original slides do not provide enough resolution to read the serial on any of the photos. I think that the original slides were made from prints, but I can't be certain HTH

Ray

If you look closely, you can see that the cammo pattern on the first bird doesn't match the others in this series. Guess there were at least two painted this scheme.

AH-10191_1280x860.jpg

Cammo001%20small.jpg

Cammo005.jpg

Cammo009.jpg

Here's a different scheme:

AH-10096_1280x854.jpg

Edited by rotorwash

Ray is the man.

If you want something completely different, try the Spanish Navy blue or Marine Corps Light Green. See Fireball Modelworks for the decal sheet and markings.

Shameless plug, don't forget the Werner's Wings canopy and other stuff, Cobra Company interior, Fireball Modelworks exhausts, rocket pods and other stuff.

Floyd

rotorwash Great pics just what I needed!! :whistle: From what I can make of it this should be 603. From what I remember from those colours is seeing very similar on M-113's and other vehicles.

I have enough I think to get the model painted in these colours Thanks for quick answer!!!

Floyd I have seen the Spanish navy Cobra as well in the same article. Should you or rotorwash want to have an colour profile copy please do PM me. the article has 3 pages of profiles, one side only but with some help you can build some others for the collection!!

:D

rotorwash Great pics just what I needed!! :whistle: From what I can make of it this should be 603. From what I remember from those colours is seeing very similar on M-113's and other vehicles.

Yes, this seems very much like the MERDC camo pattern.

• 7 years later...

Just saw this thread and I was also curious if anyone has profiles for the 2nd and third pictures posted by @rotorwash with the MERDC camo?  Would love to do one like this.

Edited by TheBadger
19 hours ago, BrittMac said:

Good grief the early Cobra's are such sexy beasts.  Glad you brought this post back up to the top!

Still don't understand why no one has seen fit to release a large scale G-model Cobra.  The best looking helo ever flown, bar none. 

23 hours ago, Whiskey said:

What scale? Like 48 or 35/32? Cause you still have the Revell 32nd kit and there's a lot of AM out there to make an accurate depiction of one.

I'm a 35th scale snob.  Plus the Revell kit dates back over 40 years.  I know there is some decent aftermarket stuff out there (some of which I'm not sure is available these days) but would really love the see the Snake done right in a state of the art, modern kit.  I figured it would sell like hot cakes but what do I know?  I thought the same about a 35th UH-1D/H and that seems to never be happening. 

The top 3 photos were taken at Ft. Hood and were shot as a series for Project MASSTER.  The 4th photo also looks like Ft. Hood.  This paint scheme used the MERDC paints which were widely used on vehicles.  When I was stationed at Hood from 1977 to 1979 there were quite a lot of helicopters still sporting the MERDC camo patterns, which dated from late 1972.  Almost all the 2nd Armored Div birds were MERDC, as well as some of the 6th ACCB.  There were many, many variations.  The most notable variation at Hood were the UH-1Hs of the III Corps Flight Detachment based at Robert Gray AAF, which had a darker brown MERDC scheme (which looked like tiger stripes) with scalloped bottom edges, and light gray undersides.

Less well documented than the MERDC paint was the leaf camouflage used on Cobras in Korea and a similar scheme in Germany.

John Hairell

18 hours ago, Whiskey said:

A few more:

kkluC0G46m4NGC8w-NCSwwP0-Mtgt5GpC1bdFkHM

3jiK4T72Na3NDmyP3aCPniGC5_uuh3MRPeyOHZUR

All courtesy of Ray @rotorwash. I'm sure he has a few pics of the Korea birds you are referring to as well @FM-Whip.

Of the last two photos, the bottom one looks like it was taken at Ft. Hood, although the pilots have 101st patches so it may be Campbell.  Top one may be Germany.  As an aside, I've heard that on MERDC paint on helicopters, painting the tops of the blades was always problematic as the different weights of paint caused imbalances.  So the question was to paint or not to paint.  The tops of the blades could be used for some interesting non-standard artistic patterns also.  I've seen some photos of aircraft from the 101st where much artistic license was used.

John Hairell