Tamiya 1/350 USS New Jersey modern

Just traded for one with Roy T. and am wondering which other ship of that class can be built from kit?I have another Tamiya New Jersey kit already.I know there were differences between the modern New Jersey and Missouri.Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
Just traded for one with Roy T. and am wondering which other ship of that class can be built from kit?I have another Tamiya New Jersey kit already.I know there were differences between the modern New Jersey and Missouri.Thanks.

I believe there were only four Iowa Class Battleships ever built. The USS Iowa, USS Wisconsin, USS Missouri, and USS New Jersey. I read a long time ago somewhere that they were specifically designed to fit through the Panama Canal. The New Jersey is on the Camden Waterfront, the Missouri is at Pearl Harbor Hawaii, and I believe the Wisconsin and Iowa are still in static storage in Bremerton Washington. I have the 1/350 New Jersey and I'm kicking around ideas for it. I also have the 1/350 USS Enterprise. I saw a diorama once where the modeler had the two ships displayed at a dock together as if they were in port at the same time. I'm not sure which battleship was displayed. Looking at some aerial photos from over Alameda and a few other places, that might be the way to go. I guess it would not be too difficult to model any one of the class in either the WWII or modern versions. Trumpeter has a 1/350 USS Hornet, (The first one used for the Doolittle raid, not the second one that recovered the Apollo 11 Asronauts). There is also I think a USS Franklin and I think I saw something about a WWII USS Enterprise. Wouldn't THAT be a spectacular display.

Paul

I believe there were only four Iowa Class Battleships ever built. The USS Iowa, USS Wisconsin, USS Missouri, and USS New Jersey. I read a long time ago somewhere that they were specifically designed to fit through the Panama Canal. The New Jersey is on the Camden Waterfront, the Missouri is at Pearl Harbor Hawaii, and I believe the Wisconsin and Iowa are still in static storage in Bremerton Washington. I have the 1/350 New Jersey and I'm kicking around ideas for it. I also have the 1/350 USS Enterprise. I saw a diorama once where the modeler had the two ships displayed at a dock together as if they were in port at the same time. I'm not sure which battleship was displayed. Looking at some aerial photos from over Alameda and a few other places, that might be the way to go. I guess it would not be too difficult to model any one of the class in either the WWII or modern versions. Trumpeter has a 1/350 USS Hornet, (The first one used for the Doolittle raid, not the second one that recovered the Apollo 11 Asronauts). There is also I think a USS Franklin and I think I saw something about a WWII USS Enterprise. Wouldn't THAT be a spectacular display.

Paul

The Wisconsin is a museum at Norfolk and the Iowa is in mothballs outside San Francisco. There was a push to get Iowa out of mothballs and set her up as a museum in San Pedro, but it fell through. The Navy is now looking for a new bidder to berth the battleship as a museum like her sisters.

Edited by wh1skea
The Wisconsin is a museum at Norfolk and the Iowa is in mothballs outside San Francisco. There was a push to get Iowa out of mothballs and set her up as a museum in San Pedro, but it fell through. The Navy is now looking for a new bidder to berth the battleship as a museum like her sisters.

Thanks for the info. I did not know that. Wouldn't it have been great to somehow get the Wisconsin into the Great Lakes and have it set up as a museum in someplace like Green Bay? It would be nice to see the Iowa as a museum as well. All of these great ships deserve to live forever. I've always felt that ships named for the states or cities should be preserved and retired to the respective location they were named for. It's nice to see the USS Intrepid, USS Hornet and the USS Midway were saved. It was very sad in many ways to see the USS Oriskany scuttled as an artificial reef. The same way it's sad to see aircraft broken up for salvage and recycled into beer cans and razor blades. Ships like these and ones like USS Constitution are very lucky indeed to survive long after their service life ends. Unfortunately, because of the nuclear propulsion units, ships like CVAN 65 USS Enterprise cannot be saved as museums after the service life ends due to the way the power plants must be removed. It will essentially destroy the ship and render it economically impossible to save. After fifty years of service and an incredible amount of history. I suppose that's no worse than so many people today not knowing about the moon landings in the late 60's and early 70's. I once had someone ask me if the movie "Apollo 13" could possibly be true. We're losing our sense of history as a nation. I wonder what is to happen to ships like the USS Ranger and the USS Independence. I have friends that served on both.

Paul :)

Thanks for the info. I did not know that. Wouldn't it have been great to somehow get the Wisconsin into the Great Lakes and have it set up as a museum in someplace like Green Bay? It would be nice to see the Iowa as a museum as well. All of these great ships deserve to live forever. I've always felt that ships named for the states or cities should be preserved and retired to the respective location they were named for. It's nice to see the USS Intrepid, USS Hornet and the USS Midway were saved. It was very sad in many ways to see the USS Oriskany scuttled as an artificial reef. The same way it's sad to see aircraft broken up for salvage and recycled into beer cans and razor blades. Ships like these and ones like USS Constitution are very lucky indeed to survive long after their service life ends. Unfortunately, because of the nuclear propulsion units, ships like CVAN 65 USS Enterprise cannot be saved as museums after the service life ends due to the way the power plants must be removed. It will essentially destroy the ship and render it economically impossible to save. After fifty years of service and an incredible amount of history. I suppose that's no worse than so many people today not knowing about the moon landings in the late 60's and early 70's. I once had someone ask me if the movie "Apollo 13" could possibly be true. We're losing our sense of history as a nation. I wonder what is to happen to ships like the USS Ranger and the USS Independence. I have friends that served on both.

Paul B)

The JFK is slated to be saved as a museum. And as for CVN-65, there is always the chance she can be a museum. SSN-571 USS Nautilus was the first nuclear ship in the world and she is now a museum in New London, CT. I've read somewhere that there is also a push to set up one of the Sturgeon or early Los Angeles class subs as a museum.

The JFK is slated to be saved as a museum. And as for CVN-65, there is always the chance she can be a museum. SSN-571 USS Nautilus was the first nuclear ship in the world and she is now a museum in New London, CT. I've read somewhere that there is also a push to set up one of the Sturgeon or early Los Angeles class subs as a museum.

I thought about that, but realized the SSN 571 USS Nautilus is on the United States Naval Submarine Base at Groton Connecticut. Guarded by active duty Navy personnel. It was opened to the public after an "extensive" conversion at Mare Island before being towed back to Connecticut. One has to presume, especially since only the portions of the ship forward of the control room are actually open to the public, that many things were changed. What started it all was the Ship being designated a National Historic Landmark. That may be the key to keeping these ships. Getting them designated as National Historic Landmarks. That's, (if I recall correctly), how the USS Hornet got saved from the scrappers she had already been sold too before someone realized it was made a landmark. The Navy had to buy it back. If I recall, the JFK is not Nuclear powered. Nor are the Sara, the Connie, and several others. We should save all of them. I just don't think the big CVAN ships are saveable because of plans to pull the reactors. That essentially guts the ship and turns them into scrap. On Submarines, as I recall, the reactor is placed in through the side and a hull piece welded in. (I'm oversimplifing here, but you get the idea.)

Paul

I've seen recent news reports that the USS Ranger (AKA the USS ENTERPRISE in ST:IV) is going to set up shop as a Museum in the Columbia River on the Oregon side soon.

That is GREAT news.

Has anyone heard anything about the Sara or Connie? Does anyone know anything further to move the USS Iowa out of storage and into a museum somewhere?

That is GREAT news.

Has anyone heard anything about the Sara or Connie? Does anyone know anything further to move the USS Iowa out of storage and into a museum somewhere?

I wish I knew something on Sara or Connie....especially Connie (my stepdad was on her during Westpac 85). As for Iowa, from what I've read, the group that planned to put her in San Jose wasn't able to raise the money they needed, so the Navy is now looking for a new bidder to set her up as a museum.

I wish I knew something on Sara or Connie....especially Connie (my stepdad was on her during Westpac 85). As for Iowa, from what I've read, the group that planned to put her in San Jose wasn't able to raise the money they needed, so the Navy is now looking for a new bidder to set her up as a museum.

Just looked at a list of US Aircraft Carriers after a search. CV60, USS Saratoga, is currently listed as Decommissioned and is in storage at Newport Rhode Island. CV64 USS Constellation, is listed as decommissiond, to be scuttled, date to be announced. Currently in storage at NISMF Bremerton Washington. JFK is on the list to be donated. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news here. I'm sure a lot of folks besides myself would like to see all of the original super-carriers saved.

Paul

On the NavSource website, there is a pretty spectacular bow on photo of the New Jersey, trailed by the Missouri, and it was taken from the fantail of the Enterprise. In looking closely, I can see minor differences in what I would presume are the gun director towers located over the main bridge structures on both ships. Other than that, they pretty much all look very much alike. So, with a little research, and possibly a small amount of scratchbuilding, I would have to say that any Iowa Class Battleship could be made from any of the 1/350 Tamiya kits. The major problem that I see would be in locating the proper registration numbers and the awards markings for the individual ships that are painted on the bulkheads on the outside of the bridge. I also have the New Jersey, and I might just go get the Missouri. I do not know if the Wisconsin and the Iowa were modeled. I only recall seeing the Mighty Mo and the New Jersey in this scale. I do not know if the WWII versions of these ships were ever modelled in 1/350 either. But, with Trumpter putting out 1/350 WWII Aircraft Carriers, can the Iowa Class Battleships in WWII configuration be far behind?

Paul

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Paul, the Tamiya 1/350 Missouri is the WW2 version with all the associated AA guns. There are several books on the Iowas. I've been on the Jersey and Wisconson in their respective berths. Each ship has subtle differences in the bridge layout mast fit and other areas. With a little scratch building and research you should be able to build any ship. Tamiya has made 3 versions in 1/700 a early war round bridge Iowa, a Missouri 45 and a modern NJ. Trumpeter also does a modern Wisconsin.

Hey Paul, the Tamiya 1/350 Missouri is the WW2 version with all the associated AA guns. There are several books on the Iowas. I've been on the Jersey and Wisconson in their respective berths. Each ship has subtle differences in the bridge layout mast fit and other areas. With a little scratch building and research you should be able to build any ship. Tamiya has made 3 versions in 1/700 a early war round bridge Iowa, a Missouri 45 and a modern NJ. Trumpeter also does a modern Wisconsin.

Hi Tom,

I noticed that the other day when I was in the LHS here in my town getting some paint. With the exception of New Jersey, the radar/gun director tower/masts were almost identical. I have all four from Trumpy in 1/700 on order. All modern, so it will be interesting to see what the differences are since they're all new toolings. I also finally found the USS Enterprise from 1945 in 1/700 as well.

Hi Tom,

I noticed that the other day when I was in the LHS here in my town getting some paint. With the exception of New Jersey, the radar/gun director tower/masts were almost identical. I have all four from Trumpy in 1/700 on order. All modern, so it will be interesting to see what the differences are since they're all new toolings. I also finally found the USS Enterprise from 1945 in 1/700 as well.

I wanted a representative of each era, the original open bridge as well as the surrender era Missouri and of course the 80s upgrade. The New jersey had a mod to the fire control tower in 68 i believe. Thats why shes the most different. I have the Naval Institute book an US battleships with lots of great shots and line drawings extreme detail as far as mods go. I like anything with turrets.

TC

look here link

iirc the NJ had boxes added to the conical superstructure forward of the exhaust funnels. these were added for ecm and comunications during the vietnam war.

none of the other three iowa class ships had these. the USS Iowa had a huge U.S. flag painted on top of her #2 turret,

probably the closest you are going to get to a colourful paint scheme

yankee modelworks does a USS Iowa conversion www.yankeemodelworks.com/

D

Edited by dylan