Hi!

This is my first Group Build ever (and my first post in this Forum too!).

I started my Hasegawa 1/48 Lockheed P-38 Lightning today. I am not sure yet, but I think I will build The P-38L Billy´s Filly from 12th FS.

p38_1.jpg

p38_2.jpg

I started painting the Cocpit area in Interior Green (Gunze Color):

p38_3.jpg

Edited by Alonzo Fonzo

Yesterday i applied a washing of Vallejo black, burnt umbra pigment some drops of soap (to destroy the surface tension) and a lot of water mixture:

p38_5.jpg

p38_6.jpg

After drybrushing with Tamiya and Vallejo colors i finished the cockpit.

p38_7.jpg

I really like those tiny eduard Photoetched parts :thumbsup:

Looks great! What did you use for the interior color?

Thanks! I used Gunze (Acrylics) H58 Interior Green as base color, applied a washing as above stated and for drybrushing i used Vallejo Color Japan Uniform and Tamyia flat aluminium.

Yes, the Decal is home made.

It was printed on clear inkjet decal paper and sealed with microscale liquid decal film.

That is very well done, Sir.

I am doing some simple markings myself for several projects, but nothing that intricate. Do have any tips for a beginner?

That is very well done, Sir.

I am doing some simple markings myself for several projects, but nothing that intricate. Do have any tips for a beginner?

I am also a beginner in terms of using self made decals! :rolleyes:

I use for decal making my old inkjet printer (at least 10 years old!) and clear or white decal paper. I usually make a test print on plain paper (I use a text writer program for positioning and resizing of the images) and as the next step I attach a small piece of decal paper over the test print and put the paper back again into the printer.

I always print with the highest quality setting. With inkjet printers it is important to seal the water-soluble ink. I tried Future, Clear acrylic paint and microscale decal film. The first two doesn´t really work for me.

A little tip I found very useful for releasing the decal from the carrier film:

Don´t soak it in water, put a drop of water on your desk and lay the decal on top.

Thanks for the tips, Sir.

Do you spray the Microscale stuff? I have found any sort of brushing removes the ink. I have a spray sealant from Testors, part of their starter kit.

No I don´t spray it. It is quite a thick fluid.

I brush it in one stroke with a big soft brush (only a very thin layer).

It seems that the liquid decal film doesn´t affect my ink (Canon original ink).

With brushing an acrylic clear coat i had indeed problems.

I don´t have experience with the Testors sealant, Testors stuff is nearly impossible to get here in austria :woo:

Today I painted a lot of little blue squares :)

p38_18.jpgp38_15.jpgp38_16.jpg

p38_17.jpg

The blue is a little bit darker than it appears on these photos.

Oh, man, am I ever going to remember that approach! Thank you so much for sharing it. I built the old Matchbox 1/32 Sea Venom last year, and masked and painted the red-and-white squares by hand. I wracked my brain like crazy trying to come up with a more efficient and effective approach, but never thought of this. Bravo sir!

Kev

Oh, man, am I ever going to remember that approach! Thank you so much for sharing it. I built the old Matchbox 1/32 Sea Venom last year, and masked and painted the red-and-white squares by hand. I wracked my brain like crazy trying to come up with a more efficient and effective approach, but never thought of this. Bravo sir!

Kev

Thanks!

To get good results its important to use strips equal in width (I found a 2,5mm wide Tamyia-like tape at my hobby store). Cover the whole surface you want to paint with strips next to each other and then remove every 2nd to get equal distances between the squares. The rest is shown in my photos...

Wow, that's turning out really good, love the paintjob! That selfmade decal came out really well!

How did you do the chipping, did you use salt, or did you paint it on afterward?

Daniël

Thanks!

I used a silver ink pencil for the chipping.

Not much update this week. I reworked the exhaust stains (added some brown-black on the edges) and started with the display base and pilot figure.