Faults alarm!! sorry, Canada did not ban the importation of al

It appears ALL our enamel hobby paints are now banded from importation into Canada. If we don't over throw this I know for me anyway it kills the hobby. I've been building for 35+ years and have never had any luck with Arcylics.

I am really upset over this

IMPORTANT: The importation of enamel and solvent based hobby paints to Canada is strictly prohibited. Canadian Customs will seize all packages containing these banned items. They will then destroy the confiscated merchandise. If your order contains these items, Internet Hobbies will delete them. Acrylic and water based paints are the only paints allowed to be imported to Canada.

LINK

Any ideas on how we can fight this? I want to continue in this hobby but won't use arcylics.

Edited by ron

I almost never use enamels so this probably doesn't impact me too much, but I'd imagine that hobby stores will always be allowed to import them and stock them. So if you have to buy online, buy from a Canadian shop.

but I'd imagine that hobby stores will always be allowed to import them and stock them. So if you have to buy online, buy from a Canadian shop.

Nope, I don't buy paint on line, only at the LHS.

This explains why a person can't find any flat white or flat black enamel paint in this city. I know for certain Floquil Enamels are already off the shelves on Canadian distributors as they cannot import it. This is what tipped me off on all of this. A quick Google search proved it's true.

Enamels are banned from import I assume this would apply to hobby shops also.

Why the heck would they do this?

I don't know, I will confirm it's true on Monday

That said, it follows the rules being imposed on the Autobody industry. There is a ban going into effect on the use of all solvent based paints this year. I have a good friend that owns an auto detailing shop and he's being forced to learn how to use water based touch up paints because of this.

Just when I think Canada is the smarter neighbor to the north, they go and do something like this. Stupid!!! If it is true, I sincerely hope you guys fight this big time since it is about as short sided as any law change I've ever heard of.

I can see a new black market niche opening up though. I mean how seriously is this going to be policed at the borders?

One could get creative in the protest of this. Build and paint some 1/72 models of subjects, then send them to members of the Parliament of Canada who might have been ex-military or appreciate history. After they've had them a week or two, send another letter saying they have to be destroyed since they were painted with "banned" enamel paints. See what kind of a stink that might raise? Probably not much, but it would illustrate the point.

Edited by Jay Chladek

There was new legislation released on the use of Solvent based paint effective June 18th, 2010 in an attempt to limit the VOC's being released into the atmosphere. Here is a clip from a Canadian VOC compliance site.

How will Environment Canada enforce this legislation?

The legislation is a prohibition of sale. That means paint companies and jobbers will not be able to sell any non-compliant product past the date of June 18, 2010, and it will also be illegal for a shop to import any non-compliant material. Canada Customs will audit any importation of coatings. There are federal auditors in place, there have been enforcement agreements with provincial government agencies, plus there will be audits at the shop level and non-compliance will result in heavy fines.

That pretty much says it all.

Good by enamels unless we fight this.

There is life after enamels folks. I had cancer in 1993, and haven't used them since. A few dozen modelers against the Canadian government isn't likely to change things, so my advice (totally unsolicited, I know) is to simply try something else. Tamiya and Xtracrylics are outstanding. As my ninth grade biology teacher wisely said, when the environment changes, an organism has three choices: migrate, adapt, or die :thumbsup:

J

For me the only major problem is that Tamyia simply doesn't make enough colours. I have 6 or 7 testers model master paints simply because there's no other choice. Insignia White.. that's a tamyia colour (that I won't be able to buy anymore) and the only jar is model master...which I won't be able to buy anymore. Light Ghost Grey is a Tamyia spray that seems done and their little jar doesn't match their spray.

So don't expect too many Canadian's to win model shows if they don't have the right colours.

Can someone tell me if there's a 1-1 match of model master enamels to acrylics? I mean can I get insignia white in both enamel and acrylic. none of the shops in town have stopped selling enamel anything and as near as I can tell they have no plans to stop. But there are just some colours that I currently have no choice but to use enamel for. Raddome tan for example I've never found in acrylic.

I wonder how far this will reach? Just paint to start, but what about putties, and glues? There are certainly lots of VOC's in those items. I'm an acrylic guy for the most part, but metal paints, Tamiya sprays for cars, and Tamiya primer, and Mr Surfacer sprays will be sorely missed. I'm stocking up on these items on Monday.

Well I hope this is short term and I hope I am not being chicken little on this but it all seems to add up. Monday will tell for sure with a visit to the LHS to see on the continued availability on these products.

I've noticed on the last two visits to two of the LHS in the last week that the enamel displays were out of a lot of colors......

I stopped using Enamels after ruining a carpet many years ago at my parents house.

The resulting reaction to that adventure in model making wasn't to my liking.

Looked into "safer paints" then.

Hopefully Tamiya/Vallejo/Xtracrylic fill in the gaps in their color lines and quickly.

Hey, Tamiya came out with 3 colours just for the Spitfire after all

Edited by Av8fan

I don't think there is much accuracy to this post. While not intentionally misleading us, I think the poster is jumping to the wrong conclusions.

1. The first link is to a US hobby website. Most US based companies are not permitted to ship enamels to Canada via airmail. This has to do with the shippers rules in regards to hazardous materials. Most won't bother shipping via surface.

2. The link is not to a Canadian Government website. I need to see a link before I believe the post.

Hey Scooby,

I am not trying to mislead anyone here, really. Maybe I am jumping the gun a little here but I don't think so. I'll eat public crow if I am wrong which I hope I will.....

This all started with me trying to get Floquil Enamel paint last week and found the first LHS had lumped all their stock into one bin. I thought they quit carrying it. Today I went to a different LHS and was advised Floquil Enamels have been banned from import into Canada and he proved this to me when we went on line to his Canadian distributor's web site.

No more Floquil for sure.... So I started looking into it further and yes the link I sent is a US based company and shipping of Enamel to Canada has been taboo for sometime now via mail order. That said, that message is new. All the hobby shops here are really low on enamel paints, you can't find the common colors like White, Black etc. I'll find out why tomorrow.

The June 18th implementation of the new VOC regulations is real. and I've been aware of this for sometime now from the Automotive industry all though there have been some extensions to 2011. I believe our hobby has been lumped into this legislation.

Maybe I am dead wrong here, I hope I am, and I hope your right. We should all know by Monday.

I also ent a note to Testors today asking them what is up.

That said, Floquil Enamel is definitely gone over this effective June 18th......100% confirmed on that one.

Ron

Edited by ron

You gotta love our northern neighbors---being pc on everything but things that really matter.

And this order by the way only comes from a hobby shop---not a necissarily reliable source of info al the time---maybe they just want to sell acrylics!!!

I had a air conditioning store in town send out qa notice that freon would all be gone soon, so let them so you how to convert your ac---fact is they where full of it and wanted to sell me a $ 5,000 new ac----never trust these guys again !!!

So lets get some facts from the canadian government if this is real.

And I switched to acrylics about two years ago !!! LOVE THEM !!! easier to use, no real smell, easier to clean up , easier to strip paint off. Acrylics have come a long way from when they first came out and stunk with adheision color issues etc. Of course Model Master products really were'nt that good as far as acrylics went---Tamiya is a real winner and use them all the tiime now. Just my two American cents here --- in God we Trust..... :)

I just did a google on the ban, came up with nothing other than the posts on this forum. Go figure. But it wouldn't surprise me, our politicians are mental giants at best, totally brain dead at worst. Nice of them to do it behind closed doors so no one can do anything about it til it's too late.

The auto industry will be having a fit no doubt.

Sabre

I stopped using Enamels after ruining a carpet many years ago at my parents house.

The resulting reaction to that adventure in model making wasn't to my liking.

Looked into "safer paints" then.

Hopefully Tamiya/Vallejo/Xtracrylic fill in the gaps in their color lines and quickly.

Hey, Tamiya came out with 3 colours just for the Spitfire after all

I wouldn't count on that. Mr Surfacer white is a staple in my toolset. But the reality is that the Canadian modelling market simply isn't big enough for a company to make special paints for and I doubt the U.S. or Asia would impose these regulations any time soon. If Tamyia rattle can was acrylic that would be one thing but I'm lible to lose a considerable amount of colours I use on a very regular basis.

Well maybe I am away ahead of myself on all of this but the Floquil thing is fact... Here is the info on the June 18th legislation I was referring to. I realize this is refering to Auto. I hope I am not making 2+2=5?

Link

Edited by ron

Wow !! So they have been discussing this since 2006 and after much consultation decided that instead of January 2009 they would now enforce this legislation now....

Consulted just 1800 automative business and came to the conclusion that this needs to be done for the sake of ....

1.........human health , to reduce hospital admissions and premature death , less doctor visits, loss of school and work days etc ;

2.........agricultural and forestry, to improve yield,

3.........environment ,to reduce damage to ecosysytem...

So will this make Canada's lifestyle far more healthier for everyone ...? Billions saved ?who gets the benefit of that money ?

I wonder if the trash collectors will check the trash bins to make sure no one has broken the law....Eeek...eeek...and snuck in Enamel.... :doh:

Guys you will be just fine with the other stuff I am sure.... :coolio:

i really don't know about the application of that law in the hobby domain...

i'm a little upset since i wasnt aware of that fact... when i ordered some stuff...

i hope my stuff won't get caught at customs...

(one order of akhan enamels coming from ukraine... expected in a few days... and one tamiya enamels order from hongkong... expected in 6 weeks (surface))

but, at the same time.

i've just receive, last week, some alclads paints from Luckymodels! (4 bottles!) ...without any problem...

Volatile Organic Compound (VOC) Concentration Limits for Automotive Refinishing Products Regulations

Non-Application

(2) These Regulations do not apply in respect of automotive refinishing products set out in column 1 of the schedule that are

(c ) imported, offered for sale or sold in a non-refillable aerosol spray container or manufactured or imported to be packaged in that type of container;

(d) imported, offered for sale or sold in a container with a capacity of 14.8 mL (0.5 fl oz) or less or manufactured or imported to be packaged in that size of container;

thoses two articles in the text are devoted to us, modellers, i think.

Edited by mingwin

A lot more research needs to be done on this issue by you the modelers of Canada.

Sounds like it does not apply to our hobby, sounds like a hobby shop also is misinterpreting the law (possibly to sell acrylics) so let's get more research done before jumping to conclusions.

Sounds like it applies to automotive paints for the big boy cars not moel cars.

Again can't believe everything you read on the internet without serious back up research.

After all internet sports writers actually think the Miami Heat is going to go all the way to the finals to beat my Lakers---gve me a break !!! :coolio::doh: :wub:

I switched to acrylics before I left Canada.

I don't understand what the big deal would be. Acrylic paints and their associated thinners, primers and surface preparations have come a long way in a short time.

I don't miss enamels in the smallest bit.