Need some help, having a terrible time with Squadron white putty, dries very fast, cant get it to thin properly, hard to sand down and so forth.

Am I doing something wrong? Should I be using another brand or type? I fitted/glued the wings and engines to an A-10A this past week, then applied putty and wet sanded for about 3 hours on all the joints, just to have it turn out like crap after applying a primer coat to see how bad it was. :rolleyes:

Any advice or fingers to point in the correct direction? Also looking for methods to apply, I have been applying with my fingertips and have to go rescribe panel lines after done, is there a better method?

Thanks all......getting very frustrated

I've heard of others having problems with Squadron putty (green or white), but I've never had problems with either. I use it straight out of the tube and it wet sands fine and smooth. I wish I had a pic to share. Good luck, don't give up.

Aaron

Need some help, having a terrible time with Squadron white putty, dries very fast, cant get it to thin properly, hard to sand down and so forth.

Am I doing something wrong? Should I be using another brand or type? I fitted/glued the wings and engines to an A-10A this past week, then applied putty and wet sanded for about 3 hours on all the joints, just to have it turn out like crap after applying a primer coat to see how bad it was. :D

Any advice or fingers to point in the correct direction? Also looking for methods to apply, I have been applying with my fingertips and have to go rescribe panel lines after done, is there a better method?

Thanks all......getting very frustrated

Pirate,

I have moved away from Squadron putty for similiar reasons, I now use Gunze Mr surfacer in the jars if u want to perservere with the putty try thinning it with just a drop or two of tamiya extra thin glue and mix it this will make it thin and easy to spread either by toothpick or an old paint brush. I also tape either side of my gaps i wish to fill as close as i can get so if i colour outside the gap it just comes away when i remove the tape. Last alternative is Tamiya putty is a lot tackier to use thinner than toothpaste buts is easy to work with and dries ok and sands good. But my favourite is the Gunze product it also comes in different grades depending on how wide the gap is. hope this helps. If you would like a tube of Tamiya putty to try drop me an email via my website.www.boomerangmodels.com and i will send u a tube free.

cheers

Jesse

Ahh, the ongoing putty experiment game. Squadron putty does dry quick so you have to be fast. Tamiya is easier to spread and is thinner, but also harder to sand.

The latest thing I am experimenting with is Bondo Red glazing putty. It goes on smoothly and sands REALLY easily, but I have still need to gain experience with it before recommending it as "the answer." We'll see if can hold an edge without a ridge as that is the true test.

Edited by DutyCat

I've got a tube of the white stuff. It's about six years old and I've never

had any problems using the stuff. I love it. Still about 30%-35% of that

tube left and it's starting to dry out a little bit in the tube, so a replacement

will be in order in the not-too-distant future.

I use the Squadron white putty for quick, "Oh sh*t" situations where I need a small dot or crack filled quickly (as in the compressor is running and I missed something small).........................not for serious seam work.

One thing about squadron (Testors putty as well)

I immediately apply it and smooth it out with thinner and a cotton bud (Q-tip)

I love how it fills the seam, and makes sanding minimal

You do have to work fast though. DO your joints one small section at a time (couple of inches or less)