What are Scribers used for?

Im thinking of buying a scriber, I think maybe it might make resessed lines deeper (as opposed to creating grooves like a pin vice) so washs will settle in the crevices better? Someone tell me what this tool is for.

Also I was wondering if there was a tool, Im thinking a wheel with points on it, that makes it look like rivets in plastic? Might also be another kind of scribe.

One last question, where do I find an assortment of 800-1500 grit sandpaper on the cheap? I dont need too much.

Simple. The scriber is used to mostly to make the line a little wider and cleaner by clearing out any excess plastic. So you make your initial line with a pinvise and lean it up with the scriber

You hit the nail right on the head for a riveting tool. Specifically it's called a pounce wheel, and it is exactly as you described. A small wheel with points.

Check out Testors...they sell a pack of sanding films of various grits.....decent stuff at a good price.

Edited by PNW_Modeler

If you are looking wet or dry sanding paper, you can also look in any auto parts store - there will usually be various grades in the repair/finishing section.

A scribe can also take the place of a pinvice. In fact I never use a pin as a scribing tool, there are too many other options that can do different tricks. The UMM website has a couple of scribing tools as well as rivit line makers for various scales. http://umm-usa.com/onlinestore/product_inf...60cd698e2c4bd00

I just ordered the Tamiya Scriber II, Im still unclear on whether I should get the rivet wheel or not. I do want extra detail in my model, but can I use it after Ive already applied paint?

If I cant without making little chips of grey everywhere I use the rivet wheel, Ill have to use it on my next model.

I do want extra detail in my model, but can I use it after Ive already applied paint?

Nope, you are gonna need to use it before.. The parts will still need a sanding after you have gone over it with the pounce wheel.

Someone tell me what this "Scriber" tool is for.

Well, it is quite simple to determine the use once we look at the origins of the Scriber device itself. Of course, we know that the Scriber in its present form has changed very little from those first described by the ancient Roman modelers. The name is derived from scribo which we all know means to carve. Carve of course means to to tear, tear up, cut up, cut open -- which is what one does to their plastic kits when one tries to create recessed panel lines as well as to one's fingers when trying to use one of these ancient torture devices. So the first iteration of the scriber is as a physical torture device. However, over time, the truely debilitating effects of this torture device has evolved into the most psychological torture device know to modelers the world over. The Scriber can be so utterly debilitating to ones modeling desire that the mere sight of one of these vile tools resting beside the scarred carcass of a model getting recessed panel lines will prevent one from attempting to build a model or even go near the modeling work bench indefinitely.

The mere though of the retched potential of this loathsome tool has me starting to twitch and a cold sweat has formed on my neck as I write! You must excuse me for I need to step away for a few minutes -- of course not -- I will not go near that bench! You know what is in the second drawer on the left? Don't you? One of those, those things! I can't even say the word anymore! Will that Revell F-105 ever be able to forgive me for what I -- no! For what it made be do to her once beautiful raised panel lines! I was only trying to make her pretty! I swear! I just thought she would be happy with recessed panel lines. But it all turned bad so quickly! The gouging, the slashing, the errant cuts and the ever deeper and deeper panel lines! I just lost control to it's evil powers. Soon scriber fever took control of my senses! So much plastic on the bench, on my hands, just so much plastic everywhere! What started as beautiful little swarfs of plastic soon became chunks and shards of styrene! Oh my! Can I be forgiven? I just can't go any more .... I need to get away....

Like the airbrush, scriber use only got to be decent for me with lots of practice. I obsessively read scriber how-to articles. They were very helpful, but it wasn't until I actually put scriber to plastic that I got the feel for it.

YMMV.

Rick in Maine