TA-4F Skyhawk vs TA-4J?

11 hours ago, stevez said:

resurrecting old thread, differences between the J and the F as used as USN Adversary (top gun)?  I'm doing the 48th Hasegawa TA-4J kit as an USN Adversary F.  Thanks. 

Stevez,

In adversary service, there were usually very few visible differences between the J and F.  No guns, and most likely a maximum of 3 pylons (if that many) installed.  Depending on the history of the specific airframe, it is possible that it could have remnants of ECM antennas and the fairing for the aft Chaff/Flare dispenser installed.  Do you know what exact jet, squadron, scheme, and timeframe you are modeling?  I may be able to locate an image or two that could help clarify some of the details.

HTH,

Gabe

13 hours ago, Gabe Pincelli said:

Stevez,

In adversary service, there were usually very few visible differences between the J and F.  No guns, and most likely a maximum of 3 pylons (if that many) installed.  Depending on the history of the specific airframe, it is possible that it could have remnants of ECM antennas and the fairing for the aft Chaff/Flare dispenser installed.  Do you know what exact jet, squadron, scheme, and timeframe you are modeling?  I may be able to locate an image or two that could help clarify some of the details.

HTH,

Gabe\

thanks Gabe, its VF 127 TA-4F Bu#154334, #12, 'chameleon'. 1985 scheme, tan brown green.

6 hours ago, stevez said:

thanks Gabe, its VF 127 TA-4F Bu#154334, #12, 'chameleon'. 1985 scheme, tan brown green.

Steve,

That Jet at that time was pretty much externally identical to a J.

-No guns

-No ECM antennas

-No chaff/flare fairing

-Use Pitot Tube part number F24 on the nose

-Do not use the tail-mounted pitot tube

-Use part A6 under the aft fuselage

-3 pylons

-Use part V21 for the upper UHF antenna on the canopy fairing. 

-This jet had a second UHF antenna mounted on the fuselage underside just aft of the nose gear.  Use the additional part V21 after opening the hole in part V11.  Later in life, with VF-126, it was replaced with a different style antenna that resembles part E11.

-Gabe

Which part is the ECM antennae ?

On ‎9‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 3:00 PM, Gabe Pincelli said:

Steve,

That Jet at that time was pretty much externally identical to a J.

-No guns

-No ECM antennas

-No chaff/flare fairing

-Use Pitot Tube part number F24 on the nose

-Do not use the tail-mounted pitot tube

-Use part A6 under the aft fuselage

-3 pylons

-Use part V21 for the upper UHF antenna on the canopy fairing. 

-This jet had a second UHF antenna mounted on the fuselage underside just aft of the nose gear.  Use the additional part V21 after opening the hole in part V11.  Later in life, with VF-126, it was replaced with a different style antenna that resembles part E11.

-Gabe

Gabe, what part is the ECM antennae?

12 hours ago, cag_200 said:

Didn't  the late (T)A-4's had the bent fuel probe installed? As i read the straight design caused engine fires in the past.

My understanding is that the bent probe was originally developed to eliminate interference with threat detection sensors installed in the Iron Hand capable Skyhawks.  An unintended benefit was that it also reduced fuel ingestion into the intake during inflight refueling.  But you are correct that many TA-4s had them retrofitted.  Most (but not all) of them in adversary service eventually had them fitted.  Most with VT squadrons retained the straight probe with a few exceptions.  The only way I know how to tell for sure if your modeling subject had a bent probe is photo references.

6 hours ago, stevez said:

Which part is the ECM antennae ?

Gabe, what part is the ECM antennae?

The ECM/RWR antennae include parts D17, D18, D19, E12, E19, E31, F21, and F22.  As far as I can tell, you shouldn't need any of them for your build.

Forgot to mention, you should use the bent refueling probe, part number E7.