I have done most of the assembly of the first frets and am happy with the results. It solders together easily and we are waiting for the masters for the cast metal parts. More news as it progresses. Incidentally, it is based of drawings circa 1910, not the replica from the film.

Neil Gaunt

Aircraft In Miniature Limited

Here are a few photos

1 - The first frets produced from the new photo tool.

IMG_1970.jpg

2 - The lower wing assembled and the interplane struts are in place.

IMG_1971.jpg

3 - Another view of the lower wing and struts. We find that it is simpler to produce the appropriate ribs, connected by the interplane struts. Imagine trying to assemble individual struts!

IMG_1975.jpg

4 - The airframe largely assembled, less the canard elevator, seat and ailerons.

Note: contemporary publications call ailerons 'deflectors' because they just add drag on one side to make the aircraft turn (I think!).

IMG_1981.jpg

5 - Airframe less ailerons/deflectors.

IMG_1982.jpg

6 - Another view of the airframe less ailerons/deflectors.

IMG_1982.jpg

Neil Gaunt

Aircraft In Miniature Limited

What a fascinating project, Sir!

Is it intended this remain a structural display, or will there be some covering material?

After posting these photos I started to cover the aerofoils with tissue paper - more photos later!

It will become the third etched brass kit in the Aircraft In Miniature 'Historic Wings' series. If anyone has any suggestions for future subjects, please tell us!

Neil

Edited by tnuag
Neil,,

AMAZING project ..and BRILLIANT workmanship Sir... :thumbsup:

Thanks for the compliment - it isn't that difficult provided you get the fret design right! I think this is probably the easiest of the three we have done so far.

Oh yes - all the surface except for canard, rudders and ailerons are covered with tissue now.

Neil

looking good Neil

:thumbsup: i have the 'Flyer' to do , nice kit , i don't use tissue as i find it is too transparent/fragile . (i use stuff called 'Litespan' a finer form of heat shrink covering r/c modellers use ) it'll look the biz on a simple base . what kind of solder do you use ? anyhow , great work ! - all the best , Blimp . - p.s. any chance of a Longhorn ? :woot.gif: hint hint .

looking good Neil

:monkeydance: i have the 'Flyer' to do , nice kit , i don't use tissue as i find it is too transparent/fragile . (i use stuff called 'Litespan' a finer form of heat shrink covering r/c modellers use ) it'll look the biz on a simple base . what kind of solder do you use ? anyhow , great work ! - all the best , Blimp . - p.s. any chance of a Longhorn ? :tumble: hint hint .

I am using the tissue we put into each kit - judge for yourself on transparency when the next photos appear. One reason is that it keeps the price of the kit down - many people will build the kit and leave it uncovered anyway!

How much does your Litespan heat shrink covering cost?

I use an Antex precision soldering iron (bought about 1968, while on a visit to England) and some Ersin multi-core solder I was issued with when building a model servicing dock for a BAC 1-11 in Rhodesia about 1964 - suitably historic I think!!

Interestingly enough, I have just looked at our archives and was doing drawings for a Shorthorn in August 2000 - they are unfinished, I will revisit them and put in a resin nacelle. Do you have any drawings of a Longhorn?

Neil

Edited by tnuag

Wow Neil, how did I miss this!

What a stunning kit! I used to have the AJP Maquettes Bleriot XI-2.....man it drove me nuts. However this Boxkite looks way easier and user friendly to assemble.

Well done on a fantastic looking model!

Cheers

Anthony

Wow Neil, how did I miss this!

What a stunning kit! I used to have the AJP Maquettes Bleriot XI-2.....man it drove me nuts. However this Boxkite looks way easier and user friendly to assemble.

Well done on a fantastic looking model!

Cheers

Anthony

Thanks Anthony - it took about one and a half hours to get to this stage. The spars have slots in them which engage in corresponding slots in the ribs. The most important tool I have is an etch-mate; it makes bending all those ribs very easy. Equally, although one can assemble it with 5-minute epoxy, I much prefer solder - no waiting.... I have covered the flying surfaces of the Boxkite with tissue and it has come out quite well. Just waiting on the metal masters, then Hannants will have another kit.

Digressing a little I now have comprehensive drawings of a Longhorn - it would make an interesting model with resin nacelle (you can't call it a fuselage!).

Neil

Edited by tnuag

hi Neil , sorry about the late reply , p.c. problem . i have found very little by way of longhorn refs . but i'd love to get an S7 into my collection , you can put me down for a couple if you do decide to make it

:woot.gif: - it would save me having to scratch one !016-2.jpg - here's something i just finished , an M.S. 3 Parasol , 1/72nd scale , mostly brass , aftermarket engine etc. covered with 'doped linen' Litespan . (it's about £2-£3 a sheet )017-4.jpg018-3.jpg012-5.jpg - yes a Bleriot would be luverly too , and . . . and . . . .

hi Neil , sorry about the late reply , p.c. problem . i have found very little by way of longhorn refs . but i'd love to get an S7 into my collection , you can put me down for a couple if you do decide to make it

:sunrevolves: - it would save me having to scratch one !016-2.jpg - here's something i just finished , an M.S. 3 Parasol , 1/72nd scale , mostly brass , aftermarket engine etc. covered with 'doped linen' Litespan . (it's about £2-£3 a sheet )017-4.jpg018-3.jpg012-5.jpg - yes a Bleriot would be luverly too , and . . . and . . . .

Beautiful - I agree regarding the Bleriot too. At least I now have good plans for the Longhorn (and the Shorthorn...). How did the Longhorn get its nickname of 'Rumpety'?

Neil

Update:

1 - We hope to include cream (=linen) Litespan in future kits, provided it arrives next week!

2 - The masters arrived for the metal parts today - I should be making the mould over the weekend.

It was quite interesting assembling the masters.

I had to attach the filler necks to the oil and fuel tanks - .07mm diameter drill.

The most tedious part was attaching the seven cylinders to the crankcase of the Rhone engine, but the result looks nice. It will be even better when the etched nickle silver valve push rods/rockers are attached.

Edited by tnuag

I have taken a few photos along the way:

The masters for the metal parts. Reading trom top left clockwise:

- Engine (seven individual cylinders attached to the crankcase)

- Female form tool for the disc of etched wheel spokes

- Male part of form tool

- Oil and fuel tanks (each has a separate filler neck attached)

- Four tyres

- Propeller

IMG_2052.jpg

Individual cylinder with rule for scale (it was useful to have a Rhone drawing for the cylinder head shape)

IMG_2055.jpg

t was suggested we supply Litespan instead of tissue for covering the structure. This is where I used the Boxkite and 14bis for tests.

IMG_2049.jpg

And finally some drawings from the kit instructions.

BoxkiteGA-1.jpg

And

BoxkiteGA-2.jpg

Edited by tnuag