Italeri 1/48 F-14A Tomcat - 30/11/2010

Very small up-date: 09/08/2010

Hello people,

A very small up-date as this weekend some family and friends decide to come here. It was a very nice weekend.

So I managed to get same time and word on the weapons and prepare some parts for primer coat.

For the weapons I decided to use the Hasegawa set.... they are very nice....

So here goes 3 photos of the work done so far. I hope that tomorrow I get the primer layer on those pices to check them. In the photo I saw some issues that should be solved first.

IMG_6439.jpg

IMG_6447.jpg

IMG_6452.jpg

During the process of gluing the missiles, a doubt come in and I would like that if some one can point me what load should I put on the model.... it will be a F-14A on board of the USS FORRESTAL, circa 1983.

Can you please help me with it?

Thanks in advance :thumbsup:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

21/09/2010 Up-date.

Hello fellas,

Finally I have had some time to work on the cockpit, burner cans and the figures.

IMG_6690.jpg

Here you can see, that the wheels are painted using tamiya semi-gloss black and Vallejo Air, white.

The burner cnas just receive a coat of Alcad II, "Jet exausht", which I think it match well the real thing. Some other tones will be had in the future:

In the next photo, the canvas were also painted, sing Vallejo colors. I thik it turned out so so:

IMG_6686.jpg

The next one show you the colors apllied in the tub. The cockpit who came with the kit is not correct concerning the F-14A. But I don't intend to buy any aftermarket for this kit, I decided also to give it the same attention as the "others".

IMG_6684.jpg

For now it's all. I hope you enjoy it!

Best regards

:monkeydance:

Edited by D_IcarUS_

Looks great so far. I'm working on a Tomcat as well.

One little point...

You may want to try to add a piece of tape to the center of the forward IP cover in front of the HUD lense. There are two pices as you have painted on the sides and then one cover comes up the center and slightly overlaps the two side pices.

Great work. I'm watching with lots of interest.

• 2 weeks later...

30/09/2010 Up-date.

Hello guys,

Here is a smal up-date of my F-14A. It start to look like a Tomcat F-14A.

Here go some photos:

Nice place to have injection marks :cheers: After a lot of sanding using sandpaper 400, 600, 1000, 1200 and 2000 they turned out ok, at leat to my eyes. Let's see them receive the primer coat.

IMG_6714.jpg

The top and below haves glued toghter using Tamiya glue. It look nice, but several minor problems star to appear, but nothing really serious:

IMG_6708.jpg

Here they are. Used Tamiya white putty to solve the problem. Tomorrow for sure, I'll have a great sanding evening. :whistle:

IMG_6730.jpg

IMG_6733.jpg

Also, glued the radome to the fuselage, and a litlle difference appear. Use some super glue and sandpaper of various grips to get it right.

IMG_6718.jpg

For know that's all folks. More to come soon. (I hope)

Regards

07/10/2010 Up-date

Hello gents,

Her go the today up-date. Lots of filling sanding, fill, polishing, sanding..........

The pictures

It starts to look like a F-14A.

IMG_6745.jpg

Problems to solve, with putty and sanding. The worst part is both air intake.

IMG_6741.jpg

So here goes the putty.....

IMG_6764.jpg

IMG_6752.jpg

Take a look of the work I've got to do on both!!

IMG_6769.jpg

(cont.)

Homemade tool...

IMG_6770.jpg

Now, remove the INSIDE line of the molding...

IMG_6777.jpg

IMG_6783.jpg

Now, time to deep the canopy in some Future.

IMG_6793.jpg

Much better now?

IMG_6797.jpg

Cove up to avoid any dust to stuck on the Future.

IMG_6800.jpg

So guys and gals, that's all for now! Hope to be back soon.

Regards and happy modeling.

It's looking good so far. You could have saved some work on the canopy. Those lines on the inside of the canopy are actually supposed to be there. Italeri is the only kit maker I know of that has them.

Hello Darren,

Thanks a lot for you nice reply.

I didn't notice that that line inside the canopy was supposed to be there.... :thumbsup:

I've seen several of photos and didn't realise that. Oh well, I've other one from Italeri, and for sure I'll not make the same mistake again.

By the way: how's going yours?

Best regards to you!

:deadhorse1:

It's stalled out at the moment. I'm back to casting for Steel Beach for the next couple of weeks. I can't wait to see how yours turns out. Your scratchbuilt improvements make a big difference. If you're up to getting some resin, get the Royal Resin wheels. They will make a huge difference in the look of the model.

D IcarUS..

I have just gone thru this LOVELY thread of yours{Any thread that has TOMCATS in it always LOVELY ! :banana: }

and seen how neatly you have progressed and the riveting is so VERY FLAWLESS.

The canopy looks the BIZ and you have done a fantastic job on a Jet that I LOVE..

{likign the home made tool too!}...everything is looking just MAGIC.. :tumble:

HOLMES :tumble::tumble:

• 3 weeks later...
IMG_6358.jpg

Hope you enjoy it....

Regards

I did and picked up tips on riveting.....I'm presently working on a Monogram kit, with raised panel lines which I'm tediously, agonizingly rescribing...hopefully I've got 95% of the panel lines right...Monogram didn't exactly get them right with the raised lines; as I've found out from other sources.

@Mamutel:

Man, your Tomcat is just great!! When you expect to finish it? I'd love to see him done!!!

@Chris,

Patience is all you can get from that experience! :worship: I also have built the Monogram kit yearsssssssss agoooo.... Not the best kit at all.... but face it on the positive side: 95% of scribing is done! :crying2:

Regards

Hello people,

A small up-date of my cat. Already painted but missing some details.

Here go some pictures of if:

Preparing to use Alcad in this part of the exaushts as well as paint the landing gear wells too using Vallejo Model Air white

vendacanon20D004.jpg

vendacanon20D005.jpg

After painting done:

vendacanon20D008.jpg

Look like an F-14?

vendacanon20D007.jpg

One question front wings should be painted? I've seen some photos and it seems to me, that they are painted, with a colour like silver or something like that. Can anyone help me?

Regards and thanks for looking

:whistle:

Edited by D_IcarUS_