Exceptionally well done Sturmbock article on Eduard Flyer

One of the finest pieces of reading I can remember about the Sturmbock. Here goes the link:

http://www.eduard.cz/info/download/files/i...d_july_2010.pdf

Scroll to page eleven, and save forever!

Sincerely, and these are only my thoughts: In my honest opinion it is quite rare in the kit industry to see a brand cementing its value the way Eduard is doing it. Keep them coming! :woo:

EDIT - had a typo in the tittle, sorry for that

Edited by Nuno Andresen

Do any of the modern Wugers (Hasegawa or Eduard) have the underwing 20mm cannons such as came with the DML molded kits?

I remember doing an old flight sim with an A-8 with these underwing gondolas and actually could not keep up with the B-24s I was attacking. I did 1 diving attack and then got below the box and every time I tried to raise my nose and fire it stalled out....until I got flamed by a game controlled Mustang - probably piloted by a virtual pilot laughing his *** off at my flying prowess.

That's why I like Dora's....for some reason I was lethal to myself in a Wurger but danged good in a Dora

Edited by Matt Roberts

Thanks guys! I liked the article a lot too! Hope many more in the near future!

Do any of the modern Wugers (Hasegawa or Eduard) have the underwing 20mm cannons such as came with the DML molded kits?

I remember doing an old flight sim with an A-8 with these underwing gondolas and actually could not keep up with the B-24s I was attacking. I did 1 diving attack and then got below the box and every time I tried to raise my nose and fire it stalled out....until I got flamed by a game controlled Mustang - probably piloted by a virtual pilot laughing his *** off at my flying prowess.

That's why I like Dora's....for some reason I was lethal to myself in a Wurger but danged good in a Dora

Matt, the underwing 20mm gun pods, to my knowledge, are not present neither in Eduard, Hasegawa or Tamiya kits. But I don't know all boxes, so I hope I am not beeing incorrect. You can find very nice images of these gondolas in the first of four Kagero Monographs about the FW-190. Go to page 29, and then just read along! :)

Regarding your excellent description about your experiences in flight sim's. Those experiences brought to my mind the excellent Osprey Aviation Elite book "Sturmgruppen":

9781841769080-th2.jpg

The book has incredible accounts of those real days and the descriptions are, in fact, very similar to your descriptions! The Wurger, with all those armor add ons was not maneuverable and was an easy prey to the Allied aircraft around.

What amazed me the most was a description of a German pilot stating: "Flying our aircraft in the direction of a box formation of B-17 was similar to put yourself bellow the shower, where each drop is a .50 bullet. You simply can’t get away from being hitâ€

If you like the subject, you'll love this book too! Highly recommended!

Edited by Nuno Andresen

Those are the 30mm pods. The ones I was wondering about were the dual 20mm pods such as those found on the Dragon molded Wurgers. Those were funny in that the pods - as molded - blocked the flaps when you built the kit. I wondered if Eduard had tehm in thier Anton-5 release, since it sounds like according to that article those were the ones that carried that Rüstsatz field kit.

Guys, let me just say that I also thought alone about the under wing twin Mg-151 20mm gun pods.

They are available at least in this Dragon kit:

FW_190A5.jpg

The parts are included in sprue "E"

They looked like this in the real aircraft:

fw_20mm.jpg

To my knowledge the 20mm gun pods are not available in the Tamiya, Eduard and Hasegawa proposals but frankly I don’t know all boxes released, specially Hasegawa, because as we know, releases permanently re-boxes of existing tooling with different markings and contents. So I would like to hear if you know alternative Wurger boxes with the Wb-151 gondolas.

The other ones, the MK-103 30mm guns:

fw_190_30mm.jpg

Are included, as Isaac stated, at least in the Eduard F-8 kit.

Hi guys

The Umrüst-Bausätze that you are discussing was fitted to the Fw 190 A-5/U12 which became operational with I./JG 11 in late 1943. There are several of these listed in JG 11 loss lists such as the following:

27 September 1943: Oberleutnant Erich Kuhnla of 3./JG 11 missing in Fw 190 A-5/U12 "Yellow 2" (W.Nr. 710 015) following aerial combat, crashed over sea, 35 kilometers north of Langeoog, 100%

4 October 1943: Hauptmann Erwin Clausen, Gruppenkommandeur of I./JG 11, killed in Fw 190 A-5/U12 "Black <<" (W.Nr. 0157 358) in aerial combat 115 kilometers northwest of Borkum, 100%

4 October 1943: Oberleutnant Heinz Sahnwaldt, Staffelkapitän of 1./JG 11, killed in Fw 190 A-5/U12 "White 13" (W.Nr. 410 239) in aerial combat 30 kilometers north of Juist, 100%

8 October 1943: Leutant Erich Hondt, Staffelkapitän of 2./JG 11, wounded in Fw 190 A-5/U12 "Black 13" (W.Nr. 410 266) in aerial combat, crashed at Winschoten, bailed out, 100%

5 November 1943: Unteroffizier Eduard Kienle of 1./JG 11 wounded in Fw 190 A-5/U12 (W.Nr. 0150 814) in aerial combat over Rheine, 100%

I hope this helps.

Horrido!

Leo

Edited by Leo Etgen

Hello blunce

Have you tried saving these specific pages through Photoshop? Unfortunately I am not at my normal computer that has that image editing software installed so I can not test it but I think that it might be possible that way. Nice article but I will stick my head out and state that I somewhat disagree with their explanation regarding the R2 and R8 designations based on Baubeschreibung Nr. 284 which can be found at http://www.wwiiaircraftperformance.org/fw190/td284.pdf.

Horrido!

Leo